orchardcounty.com

Started by ardmhachaabu, November 15, 2009, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

I see the site has been pulled by its owner.  Anyone know what was said on it to lead him to do that??
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

He probably got fed up trying to please everyone.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

was it not pulled a few years ago only to come back a few weeks later?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Square Ball on November 15, 2009, 08:20:21 PM
was it not pulled a few years ago only to come back a few weeks later?
Yeah he pulled it because their was a fuss kicked up over ones discussing whether players should be dropped or something.

As a result there was no criticism allowed of any player, referee or county board on the forums. 

fitzroyalty

Was wondering, can he not just put a big disclaimer on the front page???
Altough it went to the dogs it was good for getting club results and fixtures, far better than the county website. Can someone get centrehalf to join gaaboard???

JUst retired

It was pulled because some apparent new kids on the block were naming minor club players and running them down as players. IMO he was correct to do this as these players are children and dont deserve to be written about in this manner on public forum.

Orior

Quote from: JUst retired on November 15, 2009, 09:52:26 PM
It was pulled because some apparent new kids on the block were naming minor club players and running them down as players. IMO he was correct to do this as these players are children and dont deserve to be written about in this manner on public forum.

Could Barry just have stepped up the moderating and banned the perpretators?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mountainboii

Yeah its a shame, there were a couple of decent posters on it. The place was over run with kids who thought it was great craic to slag each other off constantly. Can't have been much fun to run the place when you have to spend hours cleaning up that crap.

I wonder could it be brought back with registrations allowed from uni and work addresses only, I know a lot of the soccer forums do this and it seems to work well enough. I'd imagine that would eliminate a lot of the school kids, and generally make everyone more considerate of what they post.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on November 15, 2009, 10:09:35 PM
Yeah its a shame, there were a couple of decent posters on it. The place was over run with kids who thought it was great craic to slag each other off constantly. Can't have been much fun to run the place when you have to spend hours cleaning up that crap.

I wonder could it be brought back with registrations allowed from uni and work addresses only, I know a lot of the soccer forums do this and it seems to work well enough. I'd imagine that would eliminate a lot of the school kids, and generally make everyone more considerate of what they post.
That's true, hope they don't come over here.

JUst retired

What about ussuns that dont go to uni.or work?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: JUst retired on November 15, 2009, 10:15:32 PM
and not everyone that works has an work email address

mountainboii

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 15, 2009, 10:16:19 PM
Quote from: JUst retired on November 15, 2009, 10:15:32 PM
and not everyone that works has an work email address

Dunno, but I'm sure there are ways around it for genuine posters. Perhaps you could use the email address provided by your Internet Service Provider (j.bloggs@btinternet, @virginmedia, etc.).

mountainboii

Website Closed Permanently

What's the craic here?

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on November 15, 2009, 10:01:38 PM
Quote from: JUst retired on November 15, 2009, 09:52:26 PM

Could Barry just have stepped up the moderating and banned the perpretators?

Because a time comes when the effort required in policing the trolls cancels out any pleasure from running the site. www.upthedeise.com is gone for what I presume are similar reasons

orange2009

When you run a website like that as a hobby and for the good of everyone else, and you continually have to worry about libellous comments being posted by young lads that have no idea what they're at, then it gets to the stage when its not worth it anymore. 
Its his name on the line with this stuff as its his website.  It'll be a miss but I don't blame him for the decision hes taken.  As usual a tiny minority ruin it for the majority