Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Quote from: Guillem2 on February 01, 2007, 12:09:08 PM

Is there a club in Rathfriland? That would be a fair sized town.
Down Intermediate Football Champions, Drumgrath serve Rathfriland. Rathfriland had it's own team years ago until they amalgamated with Drumgrath.

screenexile

AFAIK most places in Derry are covered by at least one club (Tobermore/Fivemilestraight area is a contentious one between Screen and Glen). There used to be a map of the club boundaries but I can't seem to find it anymore. As for the City Well I've no clue how clubs are divided out up there but I would presume that anyone who wants access to a club has it.

laughinpaddy

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 01, 2007, 12:41:55 PM
What about Castlecaulfield in Tyrone, or Granville?
If anybody in these areas who would play GAA they would more than likely play for the Clarkes
I ain't gettin on no plane!

na cleirigh

castlecaufield play for donaghmore. as for granville, the few catholics in it would play for the clarkes.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

Fionntamhnach

Fivemiletown - would be either Clogher or Brookeboro in Fermanagh
Lisbellaw - Don't have a football team, their footballers would play usually either for Tempo, Coa or Ennsikillen
Castlecaufield - Donaghmore
Granville - Dungannon

St.Joseph's Ederney would cover most of N.Fermanagh outside of Irvinestown, which would include Kesh and Lack

BallyhaiseMan

im shocked Lisbellaw have a hurling team.....it looks like a place where the mere mention of the GAA would result in a kneecapping.  :o

Aristotle Flynn

You have certainly improved my knowledge of Northern geography! There are still large areas of the country where you would have to travel miles to watch a match or join a club.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Over the Bar

Wouldn't it make more sense to call this Parishes without GAA clubs?

botman

Not really seeing as a Parish can have two clubs. Clonfeacle has two - The Moy and An Port Mor.

Benburb is without enlightenment as is Sion Mills I think!

Keep them at it.

Armagh Cúchulainns

Lisbellaw,

now heres an interesting one.

I know that lisbellaw hurling club is infact not in lisbellaw (correct me if im wrong) but i heard that the club is called lisbellaw so that it would piss off the unGAA town called Lisbellaw.

Only what i heard.
Its all about the Hurling.

realredhandfan

A few people lacking knowledge Castlecaulfield is part of Donaghmore Parish and the gaels of the village took great pride when in 2003 Brian Robinson stepped off a chambers coach with Sam Maguire and took it into his shop. Castlecaulfied has always been an integral part of the Donaghmore club both at administrative and playing level so it would be wrong to paint it one way or another.  

Over the Bar

My point is that there will be plenty of towns & villages without their own club but they will fall within a parish with a club, but it would be disappointing if there were any parishes without any club at all.  Anyone know of any?

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on February 01, 2007, 02:16:23 PM
Lisbellaw,

now heres an interesting one.

I know that lisbellaw hurling club is infact not in lisbellaw (correct me if im wrong) but i heard that the club is called lisbellaw so that it would piss off the unGAA town called Lisbellaw.

Only what i heard.

They recently opened their new pitch, seems to lie about 2 miles north of the village...

http://www.lisbellawhurling.com/Map/history.html

nrico2006

Sion Mills is a good one, no team there but again like many examples they would go to urney, or to strabane.  Im not sure what parish sion mills is in.  It may fall into Urney or Camus, and Camus dont have a team either
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Lecale2

How many clubs are there in Derry city and are there any on the waterside? I know of Steelstown, Na Magha & Doire Collumcille but the must be more in a town that size?