Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Sure there would be little or no demand for a club in moira, they would hardly start one when st micks is just down the road!

under the bar

Dungannon doesnt have a club worth mentioning................

Donagh

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 11, 2008, 11:09:39 AM
QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on Today at 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 02:52:06 PM
I have never heard of Moira having a team.

St. Michael's, Magheralin

Yeah, but I was talking about Moira.

Same parish.

Fair enough but the thread is covering towns/villages and not parishes, but as previously mentioned there is probably quite a few towns with no teams that are covered by another team in the parish.  Theres also the like of Portballintrae and Bready.

Clubs in most counties are organised on a parish basis. Moria and Magheralin are in the same parish and so Moria has a team.

stiffler

There also used to be a team in Kilwarlin, however this has amalgamated with St Michaels Magheralin.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Onlooker

As far as I remember, George Lavery the great Down corner back on the All Ireland winning teams of 1960 and 1961 played for Kilwarlin.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stiffler

Is there any clubs near to Jordanstown?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Donagh

Quote from: Orior on June 11, 2008, 11:39:30 AM
Gilford, Co Down is that Tullylish?

Tullylish is in Laurencetown but takes in Gilford. But probably about time they got their own club - the population is there for it now.

passedit

Quote from: Donagh on June 11, 2008, 11:59:21 AM

Tullylish is in Laurencetown but takes in Gilford. But probably about time they got their own club - the population is there for it now.

Gilford is in tullylish parish, there used to be two teams, Gilford and Laurencetown. One of Tullylishs main problems over the years has been their inability to entice enough gilford wans outta the pub, bookies, soccer club(in that order) onto the gaelic pitch.
Don't Panic

behind the wire

Quote from: passedit on June 11, 2008, 12:07:40 PM
Quote from: Donagh on June 11, 2008, 11:59:21 AM

Gilford is in tullylish parish, there used to be two teams, Gilford and Laurencetown. One of Tullylishs main problems over the years has been their inability to entice enough gilford wans outta the pub, bookies, soccer club(in that order) onto the gaelic pitch.

bring back the geraldines
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

stpauls

Quote from: stiffler on June 11, 2008, 11:45:57 AM

the nearest one would probably be St. Enda's in Glengormley.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: stpauls on June 11, 2008, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: stiffler on June 11, 2008, 11:45:57 AM

the nearest one would probably be St. Enda's in Glengormley.

St Endas has some size of an area to cover alright!
Tbc....

nrico2006

We may aswell rename the thread towns or villages without GAA clubs but with GAA clubs nearby!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

western exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 11, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
We may aswell rename the thread towns or villages without GAA clubs but with GAA clubs nearby!
What is your point?   Most GAA clubs have their origins in the parish structure. And most still do. Many parishes cover more than one urban area, but the pitch and clubrooms physically can be in only one location. Just because a village is "nearby", as you put it, does not mean it should be excluded from the catchment area of the club

illdecide

Quote from: Uladh on June 10, 2008, 03:16:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 03:05:44 PM
Don't think there is any in Lurgan either!

None worth talking about anyway...

V Good Uladh, don't start me on how good you're club is...

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch