Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Square Ball on June 10, 2008, 10:44:08 AM
is twinbrook considered part of lisburn?

I think both Twinbrook and Poleglass and Lagmore are all part of Lisburn council area, would probably account for most of the Nationalists in Lisburn!
Tbc....

DownFanatic

This is slightly off the topic. Just a few years ago a new primary school was created in the Carryduff parish to accomodate the rising number of people in that area.
As we know Carryduff have a massive playing base and can field two teams in each group at underage. They also field 3 men's Senior teams.
Down the road Bredagh are very similar in that they can field a couple of teams at each grade as well as 3 men's Senior teams.
I was just wondering whether anyone thinks it could be a possibility that a new club could be formed in this area in the near future?

illdecide

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on February 01, 2007, 11:20:43 AM
Gilford - Tullylish (Down) ??
Loughgall - The Mighty Ballyhegan Davitts (Though some choose Annaghmore/Collegeland)
Tandragee - Pontyspass??

Gilford is def Co Down and Tullylish serve that village even though they are 2 miles away in Laurencetown
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Doire abú

The Lisburn figures only account for the town city, not the council area I think.

The figureds for the council area are:

Population - 112,900
Protestant: 62.8%
Catholic: 33.4%

Wikipedia all the way.

haranguerer

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on February 01, 2007, 02:16:23 PM
Lisbellaw,

now heres an interesting one.

I know that lisbellaw hurling club is infact not in lisbellaw (correct me if im wrong) but i heard that the club is called lisbellaw so that it would piss off the unGAA town called Lisbellaw.

Only what i heard.

Dont know why its called Lisbellaw, its always confused me, and this seems the likeliest reason  ;)
A lot of their hurlers would play football for maguiresbridge (which isn't much greener) as well as the other clubs mentioned. Dont think any of the hurlers would actually say they were from lisbellaw, ballyhaise man is spot on!

Ballinamallard hasnt got a GAA club, wouldnt be much call for one either...

nrico2006

I have never heard of Moira having a team.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

stpauls

Moira don't have a team, the closest there would be St. Michael's of Magheralin.

nrico2006

I know, but someone earlier tried to state Moira had a St Michaels which they don't.  Dollingstown don't have one either.  Don't think there is any in Lurgan either!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Uladh

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2008, 03:05:44 PM
Don't think there is any in Lurgan either!

None worth talking about anyway...

snappiered

Mountfield in Tyrone. The home of a number of past and present Tyrone Inter county players. To name a few Dermot Carlin, Brian Leo Damian and Rory Meenan, Ciaran Carland + the young lad who played full back for Tyrone Minors on Sunday Daniel Gorman. All these lads play for Killyclogher.

Our Nail Loney

Not much demand for gaelic in moira!

Couldn't be bothered reading the whole lot but hopefully someone has said that brownlow is a small area in the town of craigavon (should be city) which is served by eire og

Bitta-Banter

Just on the Darragh Cross issue,Saintfield and Ballygowan are in the same parish as Darragh.There is virtually no Catholics left in Ballygown which is proven by the closure of the Catholic primary school in the village. Pity cos of the few catholics there were in ballygowan they always came and played for the club.Theres alotta catholics in saintfield but few play.Theres no saintfield men on the senior panel,and only a couple playing underage for the club, which is a pity.Darragh Cross would compete with teconnaught for players from Crossgar, but really it relies on people from out and around Darragh Cross.

Armaghtothebone

Fellow Gaels,
This one has gotten me thinking.

What's the largest town/village in the country with no GAA club?

I mean none at all.For example Markethill in Armagh has no club but Mullabrack would still be in the parish(I stand to be corrected on that).

I think Richill must be in with a shout?

Doire abú

Surely everywhere in the country is covered by a GAA club?

Donagh