Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 04, 2007, 08:50:04 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 04, 2007, 08:32:56 PM
Quote from: stpauls on February 04, 2007, 01:19:30 PM
st. paul's are an amalgamation of holywood, bangor and newtownards, so would cover anyone from those areas!!!

So St. Pauls are based in Holywood, that is not Bangor or Newtownards, those two places DO NOT have a GAA club.
This is an interesting thread but can we keep it to the point, please!
By that definition, there would be loads of places that have no GAA clubs, even places like Creggan, Mountfield and Rouskey in Tyrone which really are too small to keep a club going on its own, not to mention Benburb

I think you have to be sensible about what you term a town/village.
To say that Sion Mills or New Buildings have/are served by a GAA club is a joke. The question was/is Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs
Tbc....

Fionntamhnach

Mountfield used to have a team in the Tyrone Football league, it is nowadays split between Killyclogher and Greencastle.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 04, 2007, 09:44:40 PM
Mountfield used to have a team in the Tyrone Football league, it is nowadays split between Killyclogher and Greencastle.

Omagh and Killyclogher both used to have Hurling teams, then didn't!
Now there is a Hurling team that represents both, but the team play in Omagh, erso Killyclogher do not have a hurling team. As Mountfield do not have a football team.
Tbc....

Fionntamhnach

The team (Camowen Gaels) I believe alternate playing home matches between Omagh and Killyclogher IIRC - even still Killyclogher field their own youth hurling teams.

doodaa

Portrush/Portstewart - most if not all would go play for Eoghan Rua Coleraine.
Carnlough - most would play for Shane O Neills, Glenarm just 2mins down the road.

nrico2006

QuoteOmagh and Killyclogher both used to have Hurling teams, then didn't!
Now there is a Hurling team that represents both, but the team play in Omagh, erso Killyclogher do not have a hurling team. As Mountfield do not have a football team.

The team dont play in Omagh, from what I gather they play the majority of their games in Killyclogher, not Omagh. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doire abú

Bored and doing a bit of browsing through the archives. Resurrecting an old one here.
In response to the first poster...
Ballyronan - The Loup
Tobermore - No idea who Tobermore Gaels play for. Wouldn't be too many Tobermore Gaels anyway.
Draperstown - Ballinascreen.
Portrush - Not in Derry!!
Portstewart- Eoghan Rua
Maghera - Glen
Moneymore - Moneymore McCracken's

Tobermore, Drumahoe and New Buildings are probably the only town in Derry without a GAA club, for obvious reasons.

Quote from: Will Hunting on February 01, 2007, 03:05:47 PM
Ogra Colmcille is Drummullan (formerly Littlebridge). I think Ardmore is just outside Derry City.

What about Coagh? Fr Rocks (Cookstown), Ballinderry, Ogra Colmcille or Moneymore??

Coagh is in Ogra's catch,ent area officially I believe.

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 01, 2007, 03:10:12 PM
Didn't Littlebridge amalgamate with a team from Tyrone to form Orga Colmcille? There can't be many occasions when teams from different counties amalgamate. Can some historian from Tyrone/Derry enlighten me?

Yep Littlebridge (Derry) and the Windmill (Tyrone) amalgamated to form Ogra Colmcille. The Windmill of course is famous for being the dirtiest club in the history of the game. ;D ;D

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 01, 2007, 03:53:19 PM
And did Windmill amalgamate with Littlebridge? Is it not unusual to have clubs from different counties joining up? Are there many from the old Windmill club area involved with Orga Columcille?

Well the pitch is in Drummullan, so I think most people in the Windmill's hinterland (technically in the Ogra's catchment area) actually play for Ardboe, but not totally sure.

Quote from: thebandit on February 01, 2007, 05:16:09 PM
Drum (Co. Monaghan) doesnt have a club, for much the same reason as the villages further North

Would Protestants in the (southern) border counties not play football? Is there many Protestant towns in Monaghan anymore? There is the rumour that Clones has a Protestant majority anyway.

Pangurban

Ballynahinch - St John's or Teconnaugh

You are wrong 5Sams, drumaness serves Ballynahinch as they belong to the same Parish of Magheradroll

Lecale2

I remember Ballynahinch having their own club but it must be 20 years ago now.

thebandit

Clones town has a catholic majority, but the catchment area in the west of the county would have the highest proportion of prods of any area in the 26 counties

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

stpauls

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Doire abú

On census day (29 April 2001) there were 71,465 people living in Lisburn. Of these:

* 25.4% were aged under 16 years and 15.6% were aged 60 and over.
    * 52.1% were female and 47.9% were male.
    * 54.2% were from a Protestant background and 41.7% were from a Catholic background.
    * 4.0% of people aged 16-74 were unemployed.[3]

Jaysus they'd need to have a team considering they've 30,000 odd Catholics.

Square Ball

is twinbrook considered part of lisburn?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid