Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2023, 07:24:17 PM
Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor very big to not have a Gaa team. Unless it has one I don't know about.
Donaghadee could be untapped potential. Wee jamie could be a future star of the GAA and we dont even know it

Milltown Row2

Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor could have but wouldn't get much support, few Catholic schools but never known it to have clubs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2023, 07:41:39 PM
Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor could have but wouldn't get much support, few Catholic schools but never known it to have clubs

Probably capacity to develop on there alright. If there's a couple of secondary schools in the area, plus a few primary schools, it could become the new East Belfast Gaels.

Plenty of middle class about it?

I think there's a club in Holywood.

delgany

Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor had a GAA club to 1978.
N'ards, Bangor and Holywood amalgamated in 1979 to form St.Pauls

seafoid

Quote from: FermGael on February 21, 2023, 07:15:05 PM
Ballinamallard and Kesh have had struggles fielding in recent years in Fermanagh
Is Ballinamallard not more of a soccer area?

SaffronSports

I live in Carnlough and i think my closest club across the four main codes are four different clubs.

Camogie - St John's Carnlough
Hurling - Shane Uí Néill Glenarm
LGFA - Oisin Glenariffe
Men's Football - Either Ballymena or Glenravel.

imtommygunn

Quote from: delgany on February 21, 2023, 07:55:08 PM
Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor had a GAA club to 1978.
N'ards, Bangor and Holywood amalgamated in 1979 to form St.Pauls

Feels like a big catchment area. I think st pauls are on the up and have good grounds so tapping in a bit.

Mario

The people of Bangor don't even know what county they are in. The top half of the ards peninsula is as far removed from anything remotely irish as you can get, people there think anything past Belfast is another world. Not surprised they don't have a gaa club

ardtole

It's a 41 minute drive from Ballycrans gaa pitch to St Paul's gaa club in Hollywood. I'd doubt there is another stretch of road as long in Ireland without a gaa club. There are numerous towns and villages east of this road and I'd be suprised if there will ever be gaa clubs in this region.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mario on February 22, 2023, 06:53:57 AM
The people of Bangor don't even know what county they are in. The top half of the ards peninsula is as far removed from anything remotely irish as you can get, people there think anything past Belfast is another world. Not surprised they don't have a gaa club

In fairness sport isn't a big thing either, both Ards and Bangor soccer clubs are pish poor, rugby and hockey not doing well.

Marching still number one sport
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardtole on February 22, 2023, 08:11:15 AM
And pigeon racing.

My great uncle was mad into pigeon racing, had his own pigeon 'shack' was probably best describing it from memory, was too happy when I enter the pigeon coop and frightened his award winning birds!!

Was a big deal where I lived and the Pigeon club down the street was a big meeting area every week for all the other clubs to wheel and deal pigeons!

DownFanatic

There is a huge population base for St Paul's to exploit. Demographically they've a big take but this probably isn't consolidated by the cultural makeup of the area. Newtownards has St Finian's P.S. and Loughries IPS with St Mary's P.S. nearby in Comber. There is St Malachy's P.S. in Bangor along with St Comgall's P.S. in the same town. Glencraig IPS and St Patrick's P.S. are in Holywood with St Anne's P.S. in Donaghadee. There are eight primary schools alone that they could be drawing from.

Have always believed that an urban taskforce for want of a better term should be created in Down. We have most of South and East Belfast plus that whole metropolitan area of North Down. Then large towns like Newcastle, Downpatrick and Banbridge along with the 'city' of Newry. We really should be maximising our potential in all of our urban areas.

johnnycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 10:44:35 AM
There is a huge population base for St Paul's to exploit. Demographically they've a big take but this probably isn't consolidated by the cultural makeup of the area. Newtownards has St Finian's P.S. and Loughries IPS with St Mary's P.S. nearby in Comber. There is St Malachy's P.S. in Bangor along with St Comgall's P.S. in the same town. Glencraig IPS and St Patrick's P.S. are in Holywood with St Anne's P.S. in Donaghadee. There are eight primary schools alone that they could be drawing from.

Have always believed that an urban taskforce for want of a better term should be created in Down. We have most of South and East Belfast plus that whole metropolitan area of North Down. Then large towns like Newcastle, Downpatrick and Banbridge along with the 'city' of Newry. We really should be maximising our potential in all of our urban areas.

Loughries Integrated PS??? I'd love to see the breakdown of that wee school! Heck they've only started allowing in GDO's into Kircubbin Integrated that last few years or so.

Comber would come into the catchment area of Darragh Cross I'd have thought even though it's 10 miles or so away, but you've Ballygowan, Saintfield and all in that area with pretty decent populations.
We used to get a few underage hurlers out of Bangor/Holywood/Ards area from going to school in Knock with some of our lads, but they never stuck at it.

You've places like Carrowdore, Ballyhalbert, Greyabbey, etc etc and they wouldn't even have youth soccer teams. Heck even Ballywalter had to cancel some underage soccer games one Saturday as it was first communion on in Kircubbin and a few weeks later also had to cancel games as the Down Feile was on in Portaferry.

More into farming, motorbikes and marching.

DownFanatic

Quote from: johnnycool on February 22, 2023, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 10:44:35 AM

Loughries Integrated PS??? I'd love to see the breakdown of that wee school! Heck they've only started allowing in GDO's into Kircubbin Integrated that last few years or so.

Comber would come into the catchment area of Darragh Cross I'd have thought even though it's 10 miles or so away, but you've Ballygowan, Saintfield and all in that area with pretty decent populations.
We used to get a few underage hurlers out of Bangor/Holywood/Ards area from going to school in Knock with some of our lads, but they never stuck at it.

You've places like Carrowdore, Ballyhalbert, Greyabbey, etc etc and they wouldn't even have youth soccer teams. Heck even Ballywalter had to cancel some underage soccer games one Saturday as it was first communion on in Kircubbin and a few weeks later also had to cancel games as the Down Feile was on in Portaferry.

More into farming, motorbikes and marching.

Was there never any sort of tradition of Ards hurlers playing football for St Paul's at a time? I do mind Kevin McGarry and Magic Johnston throwing their lot in with Loughinisland, Brendan McGourty with Darragh Cross, Danny Toner with Saul and a few of the Ennis men with Carryduff.