Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: stiffler on June 11, 2008, 11:26:52 AM
There also used to be a team in Kilwarlin, however this has amalgamated with St Michaels Magheralin.

you're half right. Kilwarlin would have had the catchment from Moira however they were fierce rivals with St Michaels and did not amalgamate. as far as i'm aware they sold their field and ceased to exist due to dwindling numbers (and too many prods in the area ;))
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on June 11, 2008, 10:53:44 AM
Although not in the North, Scotstown club in Monaghan covers a vast area and number of villages - They pick from the villages of Scotstown, Knockatallon, Ballinode, Tydavnet, Urbashanny (sp) and all the rural areas in between right into Monaghan Town.

They always operate very well on top of that. This year they have 2 Under 12's teams, they have a pick of 64 Under 12's without any Under 10's included. We're a town team and struggle for 20 U12's and have been starting about 4 U10's in that 20.

Its an awful pity of youse..... sure you might pick up a few underage players out in the country somewhere!!!!

Aerlik

Ahem, the Gaels of Aghadowey were served by the mighty James Connolly's for two brief stints in the late 60's and in the early 80's.  Yours truly used to line out for them in midfield/chf in the 80's.  If any of you have been at the motorbike course there the pitch was in the middle.  It was a decent auld spot too, with good drainage.  The players were made up of Aghadowey lads and a few from Armoy, Ballymoney (oh and myself - but I don't want to explain that one...too many skeletons!).  Claim to fame was the N.Derry Junior championship in the '60s and getting to the semi of the county junior c'ship in 1984, beating Magilligan along the way and subsequently getting leathered by Limavady.  The battles with Glack and Ogra, Lissan and Coleraine stick in my mind.  Any one with a semblance of football ability were targeted.  Windmall abu there was a fella Devlin playing in the fullback line for Ogra in the '80s.  Christ almighty he was a feckin savage.  Overweight, undersized and with a beard. 

There's a rumour there's a club in Dunloy and Rasharkin  :P :P :P
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

saffron sam2

Ballygawley.

I think there used to be a club there called St. Ciaran's, but I haven't heard of them in nearly 20 years.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

feetofflames

It was replaced by Errigal Ciaran 3rds. 
Chief Wiggum

Lecale2

Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2008, 05:19:37 PM
Quote from: stiffler on June 11, 2008, 11:26:52 AM
There also used to be a team in Kilwarlin, however this has amalgamated with St Michaels Magheralin.

you're half right. Kilwarlin would have had the catchment from Moira however they were fierce rivals with St Michaels and did not amalgamate. as far as i'm aware they sold their field and ceased to exist due to dwindling numbers (and too many prods in the area ;))

Kilwarlin were a force in Down football in the 60s before they amalgamated with Magheralin to form St Michael's. They returned for a few years in 1980s but packed it in again due to low numbers. Here's a link to their story http://www.downgaa.net/downgaa/clubs/stmichaels/history/history.htm

nrico2006

QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on June 11, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
We may aswell rename the thread towns or villages without GAA clubs but with GAA clubs nearby!

What is your point?   Most GAA clubs have their origins in the parish structure. And most still do. Many parishes cover more than one urban area, but the pitch and clubrooms physically can be in only one location. Just because a village is "nearby", as you put it, does not mean it should be excluded from the catchment area of the club

True, but my point is look at the f**king title of the thread.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on June 11, 2008, 07:01:16 PM
Although not in the North, Scotstown club in Monaghan covers a vast area and number of villages - They pick from the villages of Scotstown, Knockatallon, Ballinode, Tydavnet, Urbashanny (sp) and all the rural areas in between right into Monaghan Town.

They always operate very well on top of that. This year they have 2 Under 12's teams, they have a pick of 64 Under 12's without any Under 10's included. We're a town team and struggle for 20 U12's and have been starting about 4 U10's in that 20.

Its an awful pity of youse..... sure you might pick up a few underage players out in the country somewhere!!!!

Oh change the record FFS. I was trying to make the point that these villages are large areas, far bigger than the likes of Toome anyway.

western exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2008, 11:02:04 AM
QuoteQuote from: nrico2006 on June 11, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
We may aswell rename the thread towns or villages without GAA clubs but with GAA clubs nearby!

What is your point?   Most GAA clubs have their origins in the parish structure. And most still do. Many parishes cover more than one urban area, but the pitch and clubrooms physically can be in only one location. Just because a village is "nearby", as you put it, does not mean it should be excluded from the catchment area of the club

True, but my point is look at the f**king title of the thread.

Then the thread is pointless !  ;D   Since GAA clubs, outside of the cities, have always been about the parish, and NOT centric to Towns/Villages per se unless the town village is centric to the parish.  There is no need for you to be pedantic / sarcastic about peoples posts when the title itself is flawed  8)

thebandit

Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2008, 11:59:28 AM
Quote from: thebandit on June 11, 2008, 07:01:16 PM

Oh change the record FFS. I was trying to make the point that these villages are large areas, far bigger than the likes of Toome anyway.

As far as I can see they should really be 3/4 seperate clubs

Truth hurts

FermGael

Ballinamallard and Kesh have had struggles fielding in recent years in Fermanagh
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on February 21, 2023, 07:15:05 PM
Ballinamallard and Kesh have had struggles fielding in recent years in Fermanagh

Not surprised about Kesh, its a wee loyalist stronghold, mate lives there but he's South African, not sure if he's a prod or catholic South African ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Donaghadee, Bangor.

Bangor very big to not have a Gaa team. Unless it has one I don't know about.

marty34

Does Fivemiletown have a GAA club near it?  I know it's on the border with Fermanagh but there's a primary school in it and a chapel..I think.