The Official AFC Wimbledon Thread

Started by Denn Forever, November 09, 2009, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Didn't want to put a hex on things by speaking before they were up and wasn't too confident when it was still nil nil after 90 minutes.  Hard luck Luton, never good to lose on Penalties.

Afc Wimbledon now in the football league.  Soon be a division 1 team again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13418508.stm
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Sheedy

well done to the dons. great to see them rise back in league football
nil satis nisi optimum

tyroneman

Fantastic result. Hopefully we will soon pass franchise fc on the way up toward the Prem. Who would have thought 9 years after starting out in the combined counties league we would be back in the big time.

dillinger

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 21, 2011, 06:55:06 PM
well done to the dons. great to see them rise back in league football

Of course A.F.C. Wimbledon have never been  in the English League before. ;)

magpie seanie

Delighted for this club. They'll soon meet MK Dons and that will be some craic.

tyroneman

No matter how much everyone thinks we have moved on it would be a very difficult job for a 'neutral' team to cature support from both sides of the community.

I would also imagine it would be difficult to get people, in the current economic climate, to fund away trips all over England for a relatively poor standard of football.

Sure, fans go over to Scotland every other week but that has been ingrained over 100+ years

An all-Ireland league would be the first steps towards improving standards here.

Also - the ages old issue of (nealry all) amateur soccer being played at the same time as 99% of the games the IFA are trying to promote would be an issue. Could never understand why soccer fans were forced to make a choice between playing and watching on a Saturday afternoon.

Out of curiosity - how may Sunday ko games has the Irish League put on since the 'ban' was removed?

Denn Forever

Our start in the league will be that bit harder.

As long as he goes higher than League 2 and doesn't come back to haunt us.

Wednesday 15 June 2011
club news
Club reluctantly accepts Kedwell transfer request

After receiving a written request from Danny Kedwell the club has agreed to put him on the transfer list.

Chief Executive Erik Samuelson said "we have spoken to Danny frequently and tried everything we can to persuade him to stay. However, he is determined to leave and so we have reluctantly agreed to make him available for offers. We will, of course, be seeking a fee appropriate to his fantastic scoring record for this club."
means what he says...

tyroneman

Disappointing. Thought he would have given it another year. Can't fault him for what he had done for AFC though. If he moves higher then all the best.

Denn Forever

Survived the first year.  Onwards and Upwards (hopefully).
means what he says...

Denn Forever

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 21, 2011, 11:56:59 PM
Delighted for this club. They'll soon meet MK Dons and that will be some craic.

This is the year.

means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Why did the original Wimbledon go to Milton Keynes in the first place? I forget the whole story.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

michaelg

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 31, 2016, 10:10:42 PM
Why did the original Wimbledon go to Milton Keynes in the first place? I forget the whole story.
Money  and greed.

JohnDenver

Quote from: michaelg on May 31, 2016, 10:18:49 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 31, 2016, 10:10:42 PM
Money  and greed.

Was there not talk at the time of them moving to Dublin? Possible during Joe Kinnear's reign?

AZOffaly

Yes there was. For a while it was a bit of a hot topic, but I don't think it was ever realistic. Cardiff and Swansea were used as precedents for teams in another country playing in the English League, and the 'Dublin Dons' were mooted.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2016, 09:28:55 AM
Yes there was. For a while it was a bit of a hot topic, but I don't think it was ever realistic. Cardiff and Swansea were used as precedents for teams in another country playing in the English League, and the 'Dublin Dons' were mooted.
It was canned after opposition from League of Ireland teams and Wimbledon's own fans.