The Official AFC Wimbledon Thread

Started by Denn Forever, November 09, 2009, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Out of the ashes a team that is now only 2 leagues below their Heritical brother.

Tonight, they play against Millwall in the first round of the FA cup.  And unlike our opposition, Everyone likes us and we're ok with that.

I would imagine that this will be an intermittant thread but maybe next year we'll be in League 2 so keep you posted.

#Only 21 years since we won the FA Cup so maybe that is an omen.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Were you a Wimbeldon supporter before the move to Milton Keynes Denn? Some progress up the leagues from AFC. FC United mightn't be too far behind them.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Denn Forever

It would be great to see FC United doing well but Their Heritical Brother would be of the reasons I started supporting Wimbledon.
means what he says...

The Real Laoislad

I'm still bitter over the 1988 FA Cup Final  >:(
Made it all the worse that my hero John Aldridge missed a peno,I was a very unhappy 10 year old that day..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Caid

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2009, 04:40:41 PM
Out of the ashes a team that is now only 2 leagues below their Heritical brother.

Tonight, they play against Millwall in the first round of the FA cup.  And unlike our opposition, Everyone likes us and we're ok with that.

I would imagine that this will be an intermittant thread but maybe next year we'll be in League 2 so keep you posted.

Any truth in the rumours that AFC Wimbledon are considering relocating to Ireland?!
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

bingobus

Feck them and FC United.

AFC Liverpool are on the charge and will be league team in no time.

Denn Forever

And the dream dies.  Concentrate on the league now.

In front of a fantastic travelling support of over 3,300 fans, the Dons' dream of a giant-killing act against Millwall was denied despite a brave performance at the New Den.

In a first half in which there was nothing between the two teams, Danny Kedwell came closest for the visitors when his effort just trickled past the far post, while Neil Harris and Steve Morison had chances for the home team.

Just four minutes into the second half Harris took advantage of a slip in the Wimbledon defence and volleyed home from close range. Jon Main came close to equalising shortly after, but having wriggled through the Millwall back line he saw his toe poke go agonisingly wide. James Pullen was called upon to make excellent saves from Jimmy Abdou and Tony Craig before substitute Jason Price added a second after 72 minutes.

The Dons were never going to go down without a fight, and Lewis Taylor reduced the arrears after 81 minutes with a great run and finish. As the Dons sought the equaliser, gaps began to appear at the back, and goals from Danny Schofield and another from Price after 86 and 89 minutes respectively resulted in a scoreline that the Dons did not deserve.
means what he says...

Gnevin

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2009, 04:40:41 PM

wow.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

Are you highlighting the mistakes you would have made?

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on November 10, 2009, 01:09:26 PM
I just wasn't aware Denn was a professional footballer.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

Id say there is every chance there are lots of AFC Wimbledon footballers who are not professinal either, are they allowed to support themselves? Have you ever said 'WE' or 'US' when talking about dublin or leinster?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Gnevin on November 10, 2009, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 10, 2009, 01:09:26 PM
I just wasn't aware Denn was a professional footballer.

Well, now you know!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on November 10, 2009, 01:25:20 PM
Id say there is every chance there are lots of AFC Wimbledon footballers who are not professinal either, are they allowed to support themselves? Have you ever said 'WE' or 'US' when talking about dublin or leinster?
I can't see categorically I have never said it however 99% of the time I would say "the team","the lads", "Dublin" or  "Leinster".

magpie seanie

I think the AFC Wimbledon story is fantastic and can't wait until they meet (and beat) Milton Keynes some day. The rise is a triumph for fans over businessmen. A small victory perhaps but there's something that makes me feel good about it all the same. People working together for something they really believe in - can't be bad can it?

saffron sam2

Good to see Danny Kedwell's name mentioned. Will always have a soft spot for young Danny; on occasion his goals have even brought a lump to my wallet.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet