Maghera man wins the lottery?

Started by Overthebar!, November 09, 2009, 02:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overthebar!

A businessman from County Derry has pleaded with people to stop ringing to congratulate him on winning over £45m in the Euromillions lottery... because he didn't win a penny of it.

Mickey Gormley from Maghera said that he and his family had been fielding calls from misinformed well wishers since Saturday.

"It has got out of control. I definitely did not win it... and we are getting lots of phonecalls," he said.

"My head is fried with it.

"We are being tortured and I want to clear up this mess."

Mr Gormley got his first call on Saturday morning on his mobile... since then, it hasn't stopped.

"It is getting scary. I fear somebody will not believe that I didn't win it. A boy drove into the yard this morning (Monday) and he said: 'Well, you're at work, so you didn't win it'."

Mr Gormley said he wanted the whole fuss to die down.

It is not known how the rumour was started.

Two ticketholders from somewhere in the United Kingdom came forward on Sunday to claim their half of a £91m jackpot which was drawn on Friday evening.

No details of the winners will be released until the tickets are fully validated and the prizes are paid out.

If the tickets are held by individuals, as opposed to syndicates, then they will go straight into the list of the richest people in the United Kingdom.

The winning numbers were 11, 19, 34, 43 and 45. The Lucky Star numbers were 5 and 9.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8349997.stm

Caid

Lottery £90m winners are revealed 

Nine European countries participate in the EuroMillions lottery
The winning ticket holders of the UK's largest-ever lottery prize are a married couple from Newport, in South Wales, and a syndicate from Liverpool.

The two tickets will take a £45,570,835.50 share of Friday's £90m (100m euros) Euromillions jackpot.

The syndicate is a group of IT workers who are employed by Hewlett Packard.

The ticket holders' identities will be revealed at news conferences on Tuesday, when they are expected to outline their plans for their winnings.

Until now, the biggest single win was by Angela Kelly, from South Lanarkshire, who won more than £35m (39m euros) in August 2007.

HAVE YOUR SAY If it was split into 90 £1million prizes - that would be 90 families with enough money for a new home and an easier life. Wouldn't that be better?
Andrew Howlett, Manchester
Send us your comments The winning numbers on Friday were 19, 43, 45, 34, 11 and the Lucky Star numbers were 5 and 9.

Nine European countries participate in the EuroMillions lottery - Britain, the Irish Republic, France, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium and Luxembourg.

In May, a ticket bought in Spain broke the European lottery's record by netting a 126m euros (£110m) jackpot

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

gerry

story goes today that a 18 -20 year old won £4.5 million last night from  Co Fermanagh.  not sue if that a good thing for a young man to get
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

Quote from: gerry on February 06, 2011, 09:45:38 PM
story goes today that a 18 -20 year old won £4.5 million last night from  Co Fermanagh.  not sue if that a good thing for a young man to get

What about a woman to get?
Testing Accessibility

gerry

not to worry he marry some blade and she get half of it

FermGael

Quote from: gerry on February 06, 2011, 09:45:38 PM

Load of tripe from what i have hear Gerry.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

gerry

maybe, but it was all the talk at work today.