Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Started by thebigfella, November 09, 2009, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

After playing Modern Warfare virtually every night since its release, the most recent round of "sploitz" punctured the ritual in a way that dual shotguns or even people using Javelins as melee weapons could not. With Duallies or Jav Glitchers, it's easy to think of those opponents in terms of enemy type. The Javelin altered a player's profile sufficiently that you knew what you were getting into with those guys - it was like playing Serious Sam, or something to that effect, only without the customary ululations. You had to interdict them at incredible range, which added an interesting (if sometimes frustrating) precondition.

Obviously, if you're fighting six guys who all blow up in a thermonuclear fashion, that's not going to be a great round. And those f**king shotguns might as well be wands. We discussed that already. But neither of these things ever punctured the ritual.

These new hacks do violence to the experience at a more primal level. Rounds which never end, and place the full eighteen players on the game's smallest map, in glitched private matches that suck players in against their will.  There is also a class of global effects running around, and your box "catches" them, like a sickness - they persist until you quit to the OS. The Unlimited Ammo thing falls into this class, as does some kind of Speed Force thing we saw last night, which seems to accelerate the game clock so that everything is batshit.

Weapon glitches (and frankly, weapon design choices which are indistinguishable from glitches) are things we can mitigate by play, and play is why we are online to begin with, so it is not utterly at odds with our purpose. This other stuff is different, because they gnaw at a place below the game proper, something fundamental, until you don't know what "game" you might be playing in any given round.  That's not a situation I will willingly put myself in, and since every time I log on someone has discovered a new way to ruin it, I'm done. The routine has been so sundered that even if a patch does drop, I have no faith that it won't simply be the preamble to some new, more sinister devilry.

There was a full five day lag between patches on the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360; certainly, there's more to test on the 360, but that's no comfort to the millions of people whose purchases have been warped into something unrecognizable. Microsoft's sloth on this matter approaches disinterestm if not out-and-out neglect.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

100% agree with this.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

take_yer_points

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 02, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on December 02, 2009, 01:21:00 PM
I don't mean ly in the one spot, control a zone of the map and you'll be more successful, runnin around aimlessly is a sure fire way to a shit ratio...
I get bored at that, no patience.

Do you play on the xbox? I was in the same free-for-all as someone who's gamer tag started with poG yesterday

ArmaghLedd

Quote from: screenmachine on December 02, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
Running round corners wil result in instant death, lol! Find a good zone and stick in it, don't go running round the map lookin for kills, let them come to you...make sure you move after you kill someone though, they normally have an idea where you are and will come back for some payback! Move to the other side of the road and shoot the t**t on his way back to find you, lol!
Quote from: Gnevin on December 02, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Running round corners wil result in instant death, lol! Find a good zone and stick in it, don't go running round the map lookin for kills, let them come to you...make sure you move after you kill someone though, they normally have an idea where you are and will come back for some payback! Move to the other side of the road and shoot the t**t on his way back to find you, lol!

Campers suck.

Campers are the people that ruin the game!

If I found out the name's of a few campers I have come across in the past i would be on the World's Most Wanted List.

thebigfella

Quote from: ArmaghLedd on December 23, 2009, 04:10:16 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on December 02, 2009, 10:19:20 AM

Campers suck.

Campers are the people that ruin the game!

If I found out the name's of a few campers I have come across in the past i would be on the World's Most Wanted List.

Wasteland is the worst for that (and derail pisses me off too). You get on average 10 snipers on that map, and they all hide at the back in the hedge with the gilly suit. One guy killed me last night doing that so I run up and down the hedge killing him with a shotgun every time he tried to camp again. Killed him 12 times, you think he'd learn.
I usually sit tight, for crap lobbies like that, to play on smaller maps such as Favela or Terminal. There is no where to hide on those maps and easy to single out the camping fcukers  >:(

Goin Down

If its on team deathmatch theres nothing better than throwing in a grenade at a load of campers and finishing the lot of them!! You can't run out in the open with them, so i just normally crouch and walk around with my back to the wall. Works much of the time!!
Remember This.

Shazam

I am death online at COD, keep getting killed. Only on level four or something, playing against ones on level 60, how is that fair? Is there not an option in the game for them to put you up against people around your level? I am always the worst player there. Keep getting woopa'd.
Shazam Bang

lurganblue

Quote from: Shazam on December 23, 2009, 08:14:46 PM
I am death online at COD, keep getting killed. Only on level four or something, playing against ones on level 60, how is that fair? Is there not an option in the game for them to put you up against people around your level? I am always the worst player there. Keep getting woopa'd.

I'm death at it online too but I'm gradually getting a little better. I'm up to level 27 or something. Some games I'll get about 14 kills and other times I'll get about 2. Does my head in but that's why I keep playing.

Goin Down

Quote from: lurganblue on December 23, 2009, 08:28:47 PM
Quote from: Shazam on December 23, 2009, 08:14:46 PM

I'm death at it online too but I'm gradually getting a little better. I'm up to level 27 or something. Some games I'll get about 14 kills and other times I'll get about 2. Does my head in but that's why I keep playing.

Ah ya ye'll get better at it after time. Also it helps when your at a higher lever because you do get better weapons!!
Remember This.

pintsofguinness

Call of Duty: Vietnam due in November    ;D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 07, 2010, 06:24:32 PM

Sounds good, but is this being made by the same crowd that made the World War II games as these generally don't turn out to be as good as the Modern Warfare ones?

thebigfella

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 07, 2010, 06:40:45 PM

Sounds good, but is this being made by the same crowd that made the World War II games as these generally don't turn out to be as good as the Modern Warfare ones?

Yep Treyarch are the studio developing the next in the series and Infinity Ward have confirmed they are working on another non related project for Activision.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on January 07, 2010, 06:40:45 PM

I like WAW better that cod 4 or mw 2

Shazam

I loved WAW, thought the Russian missions in particular were brilliant. The Modern Warfare games are good as well, but I just love old war settings, not too sure about Vietnam though, I love killing Nazis.
Shazam Bang

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Shazam on January 07, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
I loved WAW, thought the Russian missions in particular were brilliant. The Modern Warfare games are good as well, but I just love old war settings, not too sure about Vietnam though, I love killing Nazis.
yeah, the sniper one where you crawl around the dead bodies is excellent
I think it's the second mission where you're walking down the river and get ambushed, the atmosphere created and the graphics are unreal.

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 07, 2010, 06:54:23 PM
Quote from: Shazam on January 07, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
yeah, the sniper one where you crawl around the dead bodies is excellent
I think it's the second mission where you're walking down the river and get ambushed, the atmosphere created and the graphics are unreal.

I actually thought it was quite boring, there was nothing in the game that hadn't been done before. Online was no where near as good as modern warfare either, I always thought the maps were too big (one of my criticisms of some of the MW2 maps) and the tanks were pointless.