National Day of Protest on 6th Nov!

Started by Lecale2, November 03, 2009, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support the National Day of Protest on 6th Nov?

Yes
16 (25.8%)
No
40 (64.5%)
Don't know
6 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Gnevin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 04, 2009, 05:17:41 PM
I'm on about primary schools though, where there's not as much marking and grading to be done. And most female teachers I know don't 'do' sports.

Any reason teachers can't clock in and out ?  Be paid for what you work?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hardy

Quote from: Donagh on November 04, 2009, 03:16:39 PM
Typical Irish peasant attitude. The country is robbed blind by politicians, bankers and developers and when someone tries to organise a bit of opposition all we get is the navel-gazing béal bocht.

I think you'd find, Donagh that if the "day of protest" was billed as a protest against the behaviour of the politicians, bankers and developers, 75% of the population would march. But it's not that, is it? It's an even worse kind of "Irish peasant attitude" - "I've got it nice and cushy, I can't be fired, what I have I hold and f*** off if you think I give a shite about your private sector cuts, redundancies and layoffs. At least that's what my six-figure-salaried union leader (who, ironically, enjoys the best of both worlds) led me out here to say".

mc_grens

Give them the same f**king choice the Private sector has. Drop your pay or lose your job.

In my work people are ringing in when they aren't well and saying they'll take the day as holidays instead of as a sick day because we're all so terrified to be next on the chopping block, and don't wanna be giving anyone a reason to look poorly upon us!

Public sector workers looking for a pay rise in the current climate when they are already overpaid and held accountable for nothing makes me f**king sick.

One of the public sector Union representatives actually said that the government should raise taxes to all instead of cutting the public sector pay bill. So I as a private sector worker not only have to swallow my 10% pay cut, I have to pay more tax too so as to fund some other peoples' lives? f**k That!

I think we should have a national day of protest against the public sector for taking the f**king piss!

We'd have to have it on a Sunday though- we'll be working every other day!

Rossfan

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 04, 2009, 02:30:55 PM
I have very little respect for the the public sector .
The public service get two weeks uncertified sick leave,

Hope you tell  the Doctor /Nurse in A & E or the Ambulance Driver that you have no respect for them when your turn comes.

Where can people take 2 weeks uncertified sick leave ???? :o

It's two days at a time max and only a total of seven in a year.

The IBECs and the well heeled cnuts who effed up this country have done their work well.
Instead of trying to keep decent conditions for all workers it's now a case one lot of workers wanting to drag everyone down to the lowest level imposed by IBEC.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Typical Irish peasant attitude. The country is robbed blind by public sector, politicians, bankers and developers and when someone tries to organise a bit of opposition all we get is the navel-gazing béal bocht.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mc_grens

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 04, 2009, 06:47:31 PM
Typical Irish peasant attitude. The country is robbed blind by public sector, politicians, bankers and developers and when someone tries to organise a bit of opposition all we get is the navel-gazing béal bocht.

Absolutely

pk205

We dont have the freedom to devalue our currency or adjust interest rates any more. So we need to simulate the effect that those measures would have.

We need to see a general reduction of costs in the economy in order to improve competitiveness and boost employment - leading to economic growth and recovery - in so far as recovery is possible given the massive debt that FF have saddeled us with.     

The measures include cuts in: 
-Public sector costs (salary bill & general expenditure)
-Social welfare payments & minimum wage
-Service charges
-Energy costs
-Legal and accountancy fees 
-Medical consultancy and GP fees
-General goods and food costs
-A reduction in personal debt (who will pay for this crucial component?)

When the general public and many on this thread have let go of the unfair and prejudiced anger-driven vendetta against ordinary decent hard-working public sector workers all the other issues will have to be tackled too.     

comethekingdom

Jack o connor SIPTU on Pat Kenny's Frontline show on Monday came across as an absolute tosser with his self contradictions.

Lecale2

Quote from: pk205 on November 04, 2009, 10:35:20 PM
We dont have the freedom to devalue our currency or adjust interest rates any more. So we need to simulate the effect that those measures would have.

We need to see a general reduction of costs in the economy in order to improve competitiveness and boost employment - leading to economic growth and recovery - in so far as recovery is possible given the massive debt that FF have saddeled us with.     

-Service charges
-Energy costs

When the general public and many on this thread have let go of the unfair and prejudiced anger-driven vendetta against ordinary decent hard-working public sector workers all the other issues will have to be tackled too.     

What % of Govt expenditure does each of the above represent? So far, it's only the Govt that are talking about reducing costs to meet reduce the balance of payments deficit.

pk205

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 04, 2009, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: pk205 on November 04, 2009, 10:35:20 PM

-Service charges
-Energy costs

What % of Govt expenditure does each of the above represent? So far, it's only the Govt that are talking about reducing costs to meet reduce the balance of payments deficit.

If the other items are reduced it leaves room for salaries and social welfare payments to be reduced without causing an actual decrease in living standards - like a simulated devaluation of the currency. Does the government have the will or imagination to do it? Do they have the balls to take in the medical/legal etc professionals and retail sector to achieve it instead if focusing all the pressure on public sector workers and social welfare recipients.   

mc_grens

What you're talking about is total fantasy.

Look at food costs alone...

You're talking about food produced all over the world, by thousands of companies, the majority of which are not Irish run or owned. How can Any one government influence this. They can't!

The only alternative is to cut our cloth to suit the times we are in. Market forces in the private sector are forcing that adjustment on to private sector workers.

No such adjustment has happened in the Public sector. In fact, they want MORE!

It's crazy beyond belief, the greed is staggering! My goal is to come out the end of next year with a job, not necessarily earning as much as I was... In the current climate in a completely cut-throat industry that's not guaranteed. But here are people who have guaranteed jobs, with in many cases no ongoing  performance evaluation who want MORE!!!

It's like Monty Python sketch!

Pangurban

THERE IS NO SLAVE WORSE THAN THE ONE WHO LICKS HIS CHAINS. There is certainly plenty of the slave mentality evident amongst some of the responses to this thread. So keen are they to do their masters bidding that they turn on their fellow workers and those who would try to defend them. Yet not one question or critizism or question do they raise about the millions of unpaid Tax, the con that is Nama, or the fact that many employers are ruthlessly exploiting the situation to their own advantage. Not one question do they raise as to why in America,France and Germany we have seen Bankers led away in Handcuffs, while here they are rewarded. Do they ever question how deflating the economy further will aid recovery. Is public service to become something to be scorned. Are we an Economy or a Society. Dont let the bastards divide and conquer by their fostering of phoney divisions between private and public work, both are necessary and worthy of respect

mc_grens

So keen are they to pay their mortgage and feed themselves more like.

Silky

What we need is a "Bench-marking exercise". We haven't heard the public sector unions mention that con for a while have we?

Some of our public servants are the best paid in the western world. As a nation we need to get a grip on reality. We can't afford those level of salaries anymore.

At this point it doesn't really matter who burst our balloon. We're in the shit and we need to get out of it ASAP. We cant turn the clock back now.

The Irish private sector is like a small donkey who isn't getting enough to eat and has to carry around a huge number of lazy bastards who won't get of his back and stand on their own two feet.

If that isn't bad enough they're now beating the feckin donkey to work harder so they can get more wages and none of them will get off it's back!

The public sector needs to understand where the money to pay their wages comes from. It comes from the wealth created by the private sector and increasingly from Government borrowing. We cant go on borrowing to pay public sector salaries and social welfare benefits for ever!

At some point we have to balance the books and then start repaying the money we have borrowed.

ludermor

Why was there only positive bench marking?