Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteTop 3 sagas since 1983?

Armagh v Tyrone '05
Dublin v Meath '91
Meath v Kildare '97
Kerry v Armagh '00

How many?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh CĂșchulainns

1- Armagh Tyrone 05

2- Monaghan Derry 09

3 - Kilkenny Cork 06
Its all about the Hurling.

mountainboii

Quote from: mackers on November 02, 2009, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 02, 2009, 02:29:42 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 02, 2009, 02:28:44 AM
1. 2005 Armagh v Tyrone - Unmatched for intensity, before or after. The two best prepared teams in the history of Gaelic football going head to head at the peak of their powers.
2. 1994 Down v Derry - Similar to 1, two best teams in the country both at the top of their game and the match going down to the last minute. Probably the first game I willingly watched from start to finish.
3. 2006 Dublin v Mayo - Best atmosphere I've ever experienced at Croker. Terrifically exciting match, if lacking a bit of the quality of 1 & 2.

::)
Other than the fact that you're a twisted Down man, where's the problem in that statement?? If he had said that they were the two best teams in history I would've seen the point in the rolly eyes...........

For me:
1. Armagh vs Tyrone in 2005
2. Armagh vs. Kerry in 2000
3. Dublin v Meath in 1991

Exactly. I don't think there's any argument that those two team brought Gaelic football into new fitness territory.

Sidney

1. Dublin v Kerry 2013
2. Meath v Kildare 1997
3. Dublin v Mayo 2006

Syferus

Ros v Mayo 2001.
Ros v Kildare 2003.
Ros v Sligo 2010.

Duh.

Wildweasel74

1. Derry v Down 94
2. Cork v Tipp 91 Hurling
3. either Tyrone v Armagh 05 or Waterford v Cork 04 Hurling (monster game)

muppet

I will try to pick games not involving Mayo and even then there is only one big shout there. (2006 obviously).

Anyway:

1) Waterford v Tipp 2002 Munster Final.

I remember watching the World Cup Final lying back on the couch mildly interested, and then putting on the hurling and involuntarily sitting bolt upright until it was obvious The Deise were going to do it.

2) 1992 Clare v Kerry -  F*ck it there wasn't that much good football but it was the match of the decade as far as I am concerned. For a while everything changed after that game, Leitrim won Connacht, Donegal, Derry & Down in football did it while Clare & Wexford Hurlers all made it to the top and yet nothing changed. But that game broke down the barriers in my mind.

3) Meath v Dubs 1991

There has never been a fixture like it, before or since.

MWWSI 2017

glens73

1. 2005 Armagh v Tyrone - Unmatched for intensity, before or after. The two best prepared teams in the history of Gaelic football going head to head at the peak of their powers.
2. 1994 Down v Derry - Similar to 1, two best teams in the country both at the top of their game and the match going down to the last minute. Probably the first game I willingly watched from start to finish.
3. 2006 Dublin v Mayo - Best atmosphere I've ever experienced at Croker. Terrifically exciting match, if lacking a bit of the quality of 1 & 2.

I'd agree with all three. I thought the Armagh v Tyrone game was absolutely superb. I would say they may have been the two best prepared teams at that point but I'd say that's been surpassed since particularly by Donegal last year.

J70

Absolutely agree. It was like one of those ridiculous, yet fun fights in the Rocky movies, with punch after punch and neither one giving in, except of course, it was real!

The Armagh-Dublin game in 2002 was a fantastic match too.

GalwayBayBoy

Only the league and probably not widely seen as they weren't on television but I have a soft spot for the drawn and replayed league semi-final in 2004 between Galway and Tyrone. Maybe because I was at both of them and they were two of the best games I have ever seen in person. Found a match report of the first game. Two hidden classics.

QuoteByline: Orla BANNON

ANY remaining sceptics of league football should have been in Omagh yesterday as Tyrone and Galway served up an absolute classic Allianz semi-final contest which ended in a draw after extra-time.

Both teams really emptied the tank in this absorbing thriller played with all the intensity and pace of an All-Ireland final.

It was as good a game of football as we'll see all year and the only pity was that Croke Park didn't stage it although at least we have another pulsating contest to look forward to in Pearse Stadium, Salthill this Sunday.

No words can describe the quality, the fitness levels and the character of these teams who lived up to their billing as two of the top teams in the country and were level an amazing nine times over the 90 minutes.

The sight of John O'Mahony and Mickey Harte - normally two of the shrewdest, coollest customers you'll see on the sideline - losing the plot and jostling each other in the dying seconds of the game best summed up the fever pitch emotion.

Padraic Joyce was sent-off for a second booking five minutes into extra-time and on a day when it seemed nothing separated the teams, Kevin Hughes received his marching orders towards the end, also for two yellows.

This was the complete game, a match brimming with high fielding, brilliant point-scoring and fierce tackling.

They were locked at 1-7 apiece at half-time after Tyrone raced into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead after just six minutes helped by a cracking goal from Sean Cavanagh.

Galway refused to buckle and hit back with a John Devane goal in the 11th minute.

Padraic Joyce was giving Ciaran Gourley a torrid time and fired over four points from play until Conor Gormley, returning after an appendix op five weeks ago, moved to full-back and nullified his threat.

Either side could have won or lost it in the second-half and it was no surprise when it finished level 1-12 apiece after the regulation 70 minutes.

However Tyrone were furious when a crucial refereeing decision in injury-time cost them the match.

Leading 1-12 to 1-11 after an inspiration score from defender Brendan Donnelly, Mark Harte's 45 metre free sailed over the bar but was disallowed for stealing yards even though similar offences from Owen Mulligan and Padraic Joyce went unpunished.

"I'm still a bit concerned with the inconsistencies in refereeing," rapped Harte.

"That's as nicely as I can put it, both the inconsistencies each day and the inconsistencies in each game - there's too many of them.

"I know it's not an easy job but I think there are grave inconsistencies and we saw a lot of them today."

When a peach from Colm McCullagh gave Tyrone a three point lead in the 53rd minute it looked like the home side would go on to victory but Galway had arrived in Healy Park really pumped up and determined to beat Tyrone at their own game.

They defended in numbers and displayed a phenomenal work-rate, showing a new hunger which confirmed they will certainly be serious All-Ireland contenders this year.

They battled back well a few times, notably after Tyrone raced into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead and again when 1-11 to 1-8 down after McCullagh's fine score.

But no-one in the 12,000 crowd was complaining when faced with two 10 minute periods of extra-time.

Joyce saw red early for a tackle on Gormley - a dubious call - and although he furiously threw his gloves in the direction of referee Michael Monahan Tyrone felt aggrieved he had stayed on the pitch so long insisting later he had dished out a lot worse after his first-half booking.

The Red Hands were in no mood to surrender the first of their national titles here yesterday and mounted one last challenge with a Mulligan free and a great point from sub Joe McMahon giving them an early 1-14 to 1-12 advantage in extra-time.

Again Galway, who moved Michael Donnellan to midfield for the extra 20 minutes, replied with two Donnellan frees at the half-time interval.

Both sets of players were out on their feet at this stage but somehow they found the energy to mount one last flurry in the final 10 minutes.

Twice Galway took the lead through Michael Meehan but twice Tyrone pegged them back first through Cavanagh and then another superb monstrous left-footed point from McCullagh to level it up at 1-16 apiece.

Brian Dooher, whose tireless running all day epitomised the never-say-die attitude of both teams, was tripped late on but the referee was in no mood to make a contentious call after such a rollercoaster battle.

There's no doubt who was most pleased afterwards with the prospect of another titanic battle in store in seven days time.

With no serious championship match until June 27 (after playing London on May 30) Galway are delighted to have another competitive match.

"A draw was probably a fair result although it could have gone either way but we're delighted to still be in the national league and looking forward to next week," said O'Mahony.

"When you get to this stage of a knockout competition you want to win and it's important we build on it now.

"This was good rehabilitation after the Wexford display and although we showed some improvement against Cavan this was good improvement again.

"The extra-time was great from our point of view because it was as competitive a game of football as you can get. Tyrone obviously didn't want to lose their winning record and we wanted to get some consistency back so we're delighted with another game."

Harte added: "People talk about this Allianz league not being taken too seriously - I think it was pretty serious out there today."

"It was a great game of football and a great advertisement for the game if any were needed."

Roll on next week.

Sidney

Quote from: glens73 on September 07, 2013, 07:34:20 PM
]

I'd agree with all three. I thought the Armagh v Tyrone game was absolutely superb. I would say they may have been the two best prepared teams at that point but I'd say that's been surpassed since particularly by Donegal last year.
The first half of the Armagh-Tyrone semi-final in 2005 was a dirge.

Second half was good but not at the standard of last Sunday in terms of pace or skill.

Dublin are better prepared physically than Donegal.

Estimator

The Derry v Down 1992 Ulster semi final @ Casement was a better game than the 94 game, plus we won in '92
Ulster League Champions 2009

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Sidney on September 07, 2013, 08:31:02 PM
Quote from: glens73 on September 07, 2013, 07:34:20 PM
]

The first half of the Armagh-Tyrone semi-final in 2005 was a dirge.

Second half was good but not at the standard of last Sunday in terms of pace or skill.

Dublin are better prepared physically than Donegal.
I think Dublin were more physically prepared in 2011 than they are now.

Zulu

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on September 07, 2013, 09:10:22 PM
Why?
Different manager that concentrates more on attacking football played at high pace. Gilroy had Dublin physically prepared and the strength of their team started in defence.