Drink Bargins

Started by Square Ball, October 29, 2009, 09:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Down at the local last night for a game of football, of the pointy variety, $2 for a beer with a hot-dog. It was great till about half time, but it definitely represented value, of a sort.

Hardy

Quote from: venter on December 04, 2009, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 28, 2009, 10:54:50 PM
Suit yourself Dougal. This pretentious tosspot would rather drink a few bottles of quality chemical free beer made in Germany

Having lived in Munich for a couple of years, there's bavarians that woud be killled telling you that Spaten is pure piss and augustiner is pure gold. I liked the Spaten Helles. I dont know the differences in the drewing techniques!

I also had a friend in college that refused to drink teachers whiskey in his hot ones and was always giving out to me for being a penny pincher when I'd arrive home with the bottle of teachers.

One evening, we were having a game of cards and were drinking a few jameson hot ones. I switched the bottles after 3 or 4 hot ones, but he was singing the praises of the hot ones for the evening ( even though he was drinking teachers!!!)

Is that what you call a placebo??

I'd say it's the fact that the sense of taste is not nearly as discriminating as we all think it is. After a few units of alcohol, the ability to distinguish between tastes weakens significantly.

Try this after two pints: each member of the company is blindfolded in turn and asked to identify by taste 7-up, cola, ginger ale, lemonade. Most of the time, not one in the company can do it. In fact it's impossible for many people even without any pints. I didn't believe it until it was done to me.

I've won a fair few pints with that one since.

delboy

Quote from: Hardy on December 04, 2009, 07:22:35 PM
Quote from: venter on December 04, 2009, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 28, 2009, 10:54:50 PM
Suit yourself Dougal. This pretentious tosspot would rather drink a few bottles of quality chemical free beer made in Germany

Having lived in Munich for a couple of years, there's bavarians that woud be killled telling you that Spaten is pure piss and augustiner is pure gold. I liked the Spaten Helles. I dont know the differences in the drewing techniques!

I also had a friend in college that refused to drink teachers whiskey in his hot ones and was always giving out to me for being a penny pincher when I'd arrive home with the bottle of teachers.

One evening, we were having a game of cards and were drinking a few jameson hot ones. I switched the bottles after 3 or 4 hot ones, but he was singing the praises of the hot ones for the evening ( even though he was drinking teachers!!!)

Is that what you call a placebo??

I'd say it's the fact that the sense of taste is not nearly as discriminating as we all think it is. After a few units of alcohol, the ability to distinguish between tastes weakens significantly.

Try this after two pints: each member of the company is blindfolded in turn and asked to identify by taste 7-up, cola, ginger ale, lemonade. Most of the time, not one in the company can do it. In fact it's impossible for many people even without any pints. I didn't believe it until it was done to me.

I agree, most people certainly can't tell the difference between lagers, if im sent up for a round of this that and the other lager everybody gets the same, and as long as you don't tell them nobody ever notices!!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 04, 2009, 05:10:00 PM
Quote from: aontroim on December 04, 2009, 05:06:28 PM
Not my brew of choice but Lidl are doing half-price Tennents tomorrow only - 49p a can.  Not sure how that compares with the other supermarket prices.

Still too dear for that piss :-\ (Sorry Dougal...couldnt resist ;))

Aw no harm done.  Sad thing is that I was in England at the weekend and couldn't avail of the offer.  However I was in Lidl today and, watching out for your welfare, I noted that they're doing half litres of that Franziskaner stuff at £1.59 or thereabouts. Tesco are also doing 2 bottles of spirits - 70cl bottles of Jameson, 1 litre bottles of Smirnoff etc - for £25. Although I should be keeping my mouth shut and not encouraging further hoardes of Southies to come North
Careful now

mournerambler

ASDA are selling 15x330ml of Miller for £7 & 1Litre of Morgan's Spiced for £15.

Dougal Maguire

ASDA also doing 10 Draught Guinness for £7
Careful now

gawa316

3 x 18 stella for 20 quid in Tesco's (or you can mix and match with bud, guiness and strong bow).

longshanks original

I know in the current trend i should be happy living in the north and getting my cheap miller, but does any of the southern lads on here no of anywhere (prefairably close to the border) I can get bud light for a decent price?!? See I normally go to America once a year and love the bud light over there and I can get it down south in bars but wanted to stock up on some over Christmas, any suggestions? Thanks

BenDover

The local off licence that i do a few shifts in is currently do litre bottles of smirnoff, gordon's and baileys @ 9.99 was due till go on till sunday but expected to run out sometime today or tomorrow!

one for the road

Quote from: BenDover on December 09, 2009, 08:04:49 AM
The local off licence that i do a few shifts in is currently do litre bottles of smirnoff, gordon's and baileys @ 9.99 was due till go on till sunday but expected to run out sometime today or tomorrow!

Which off licence is that?

Canalman

Can't see what the fuss is with buyiing drink up north. Imo you have to have an element of sadness/problem in your life to drive anywhere and fill the car with drink, no matter how cheap it is.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Canalman on December 09, 2009, 09:27:01 AM
Can't see what the fuss is with buyiing drink up north. Imo you have to have an element of sadness/problem in your life to drive anywhere and fill the car with drink, no matter how cheap it is.

I'd safely say you're in a small minority there Canalman. 

I spent the weekend in Dublin.  Still recovering from the shock.  It must be the rip off capital of Europe.  I was surprised that a bit like MPs expenses across the pond a lot of retailers don't seem to get it.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

supersarsfields

Quote from: Canalman on December 09, 2009, 09:27:01 AM

Or they could be looking to save a few boob. Have people who cross the border for groceries a sadness/ problem? Or is it just cause it's drink they're buying that's the problem.

Canalman

My problem is with the filling the car to the brim (no pun intended) with drink. Not imo a good idea to bring that quantity of drink into a home.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: delboy on December 05, 2009, 01:48:50 PM

I agree, most people certainly can't tell the difference between lagers, if im sent up for a round of this that and the other lager everybody gets the same, and as long as you don't tell them nobody ever notices!!
[/quote]
rem in college that the local student pub had hoffmans on all its taps but was pretending they were calrsberg/heineken/budweiser etc
the lads were getting diff pints and comparing the colours - knowing that these esp bud should all be slightly diff in colour.
I didnt drink myself then so couldnt partake in the tasting tests but hoffmans was the local brewrey and i'd say that the rumour was true. Sure the lads drank it all anyow and didnt care !