Mc Alinden
Marsden
Smyth
Houlie
Mc Kerr

stew

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 01, 2009, 01:58:39 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 31, 2009, 10:56:35 PM
1977 Thats the same day yiz were cheering for Meath minors.

I will assume that is tongue-in-cheek.

Anyone who was there will know the reality of the support that Down minors got both against Mayo in the semi-final and Meath in the Final.

Down got great support from us in 77 and anyone who says otherwise either wasnt there or they are liars.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Cúig huaire

Quote from: stew on November 01, 2009, 03:22:56 PM
Down got great support from us in 77 and anyone who says otherwise either wasnt there or they are liars.

77 was my first All Ireland final. There were a considerable amount of Armagh fans cheering for Meath. To even things up we did cheer for the Dubs.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

5 Sams

Anyone who was there will know the reality of the support that Down minors got both against Mayo in the semi-final and Meath in the Final.

I was there and I'm not a liar...apart from that a very good friend of mine was playing full forward that day for our minors and he will tell you about the Armagh "support".
The Aristocrat Years

JUst retired

will he also tell you about the Down "support " at the banquet the next day in the Garda club, when the games were replayed during the event? If he does`nt tell you, ask him.I was there and know what happened. The Armagh team also applauded the Down team into the dressing room area after the game, before they went out onto the pitch.Maybe he forgot in all the excitement. :)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 02, 2009, 01:30:27 AM

I was there and I'm not a liar...apart from that a very good friend of mine was playing full forward that day for our minors and he will tell you about the Armagh "support".

Tell him he should have been concentrating on the match and not the crowd.

Anyway its nice to know the background of how yourself and 5times became so bitter and twisted.  :D
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Goats Do Shave

Was wondering if Noel Marley would get a mention on here. Unfortunately I was too young to see him play, but he would tell me he was fairly good!  :P

My Uncle always said Geordie Murray was as good a footballer he'd seen in Armagh. Again, unfortunately i never had the pleasure of watching him.

JUst retired

Goats, If Noel tells you he was good, then don`t doubt it, ;D He was the fastest player I ever had the pleasure to watch,and occasionly play with. He is also a funny guy,I remember one time (no I wont say it) ::) Geordie Murray was a good player as well,I`m glad I played against him when his career was coming to an end.He was one tough guy,but no malice in him. I`m not a Ballyhegan member by the way. ::)

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 02, 2009, 01:30:27 AM

I was there also, and I'm not a liar.

The vast majority of Armagh supporters were 100% behind the Down minors. If someone on here can recount anecdotal evidence of individuals shouting on Meath, then they are only interested in presenting what they want to for their own agenda. The reaction of the Canal End to Down's first minute goal, and indeed to the Down Minors' lap of honour - two instances that personally come to mind - were overwhelming shows of support - FACT! 

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: JUst retired on November 02, 2009, 12:21:13 PM
Goats, If Noel tells you he was good, then don`t doubt it, ;D He was the fastest player I ever had the pleasure to watch,and occasionly play with. He is also a funny guy,I remember one time (no I wont say it) ::) Geordie Murray was a good player as well,I`m glad I played against him when his career was coming to an end.He was one tough guy,but no malice in him. I`m not a Ballyhegan member by the way. ::)

You have to now!

Canalman

My top 3 (as a neutral and only seing Armagh live a few times in CP) are

1 Stevie McDonnell
2 Oisín McConville
3 Ronan Clarke

The backs while as a unit very formidable , imo were rarely in a "one on one" position with their direct opponent hence I don't really rate McGeaney or Bellew

JUst retired

Goats, I can`t say a word. He could run too fast and catch me, and I might have to buy him a pint. ;D

stew

Quote from: Canalman on November 02, 2009, 01:48:50 PM
My top 3 (as a neutral and only seing Armagh live a few times in CP) are

1 Stevie McDonnell
2 Oisín McConville
3 Ronan Clarke

The backs while as a unit very formidable , imo were rarely in a "one on one" position with their direct opponent hence I don't really rate McGeaney or Bellew

Right enough, nobody ever rated McGeeney   :-\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

thewanderer

Goats one of the best players in the 70,s/ 80,s was Dominic Murray lethal from the dead ball. Also charlies brother Mark had the makings of a good one before he went to england. noel was a class act but lazy as hell. ps still cant leave geezer out.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thewanderer on November 03, 2009, 06:58:43 PM
Also charlies brother Mark had the makings of a good one before he went to england.

Cheelo McKeever mentioned in this thread!! He'd be chuffed to bits!! 

Just don't tell Sizzle Smith of Tir na nOg - he'd get very jealous!!!   :D

Harold Disgracey