Mayo's (Where football is life) 3 greatest players

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, October 29, 2009, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 06, 2009, 09:21:43 PM
McMenamon was one who never shirked a challenge anyway. He was so determined. I remember when I was kicking ball with my dad in the garden at home and if I'd kick it out over the sideline it'd be a "Colm McMenamon shot", but he was as strong as an ox. Did he play a bit with Burrishoole this year in the league?

He did indeed. But he had to pack it in because he couldn't work for two days afterwards. He played well every year til this year. He's about 39 now methinks. The type of strongman we don't have anymore. We've been discussing that type of player a lot lately.

Imagine having guys like Colm Mc, Gary Ruane, Noel Connelly, TJ Kilgallon now. Leaders, winners and men who won't back down in any situation.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 06, 2009, 10:25:15 PM
McMenamon was one who never shirked a challenge anyway. He was so determined. I remember when I was kicking ball with my dad in the garden at home and if I'd kick it out over the sideline it'd be a "Colm McMenamon shot", but he was as strong as an ox. Did he play a bit with Burrishoole this year in the league?

He did indeed. But he had to pack it in because he couldn't work for two days afterwards. He played well every year til this year. He's about 39 now methinks. The type of strongman we don't have anymore. We've been discussing that type of player a lot lately.

Imagine having guys like Colm Mc, Gary Ruane, Noel Connelly, TJ Kilgallon now. Leaders, winners and men who won't back down in any situation.

Christ those men you've mentioned there RGS, how come we've stopped producing those type of players? Or is it just a hitch in the system.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Anyone remember him decking a leitrim player in the connacht championship in 97 in castlebar i think, got a red card for it, wearing those brutal red above the green jerseys. Some blood spilt, think it was in the last minute.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ballinaman on November 06, 2009, 10:36:23 PM

Anyone remember him decking a leitrim player in the connacht championship in 97 in castlebar i think, got a red card for it, wearing those brutal red above the green jerseys. Some blood spilt, think it was in the last minute.

Yeah remember it alright. Wasn't that the same incident where Maughan was floored by Gerry Flanagan?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 06, 2009, 10:39:39 PM

Yeah remember it alright. Wasn't that the same incident where Maughan was floored by Gerry Flanagan?

I'm not too sure because would ya believe i was walking out the gate with the auld fella to beat the traffic home and missed it, remember seeing the red card incident on the sunday game. What happened with Maughan?

stephenite

Quote from: ballinaman on November 06, 2009, 10:44:23 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 06, 2009, 10:39:39 PM

I'm not too sure because would ya believe i was walking out the gate with the auld fella to beat the traffic home and missed it, remember seeing the red card incident on the sunday game. What happened with Maughan?

We'd played Holy mount in a challenge game out in Breaffy that morning, nearly sure I was leaving the ground with your Uncle that day Ballinaman

Barney

Great debate lads - will have to have a serious think about my top 3.

Colm Mc did floor Gerry Flanagan. It was a bad game for Mayo because Kevin Cahill did his cruciate and then late on Colm hit one hell of a haymaker (if you are going to do it do it right) but only got 4 weeks! Missed Connacht Final. He was important to us as Paul Galvin is to Kerry. His kicking did leave a lot to be desire but don't forget the banana kick point v Galway in the 99 Connacht Final - pure magic!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Barney on November 07, 2009, 01:30:44 PM

Colm Mc did floor Gerry Flanagan. It was a bad game for Mayo because Kevin Cahill did his cruciate and then late on Colm hit one hell of a haymaker (if you are going to do it do it right) but only got 4 weeks! Missed Connacht Final. He was important to us as Paul Galvin is to Kerry. His kicking did leave a lot to be desire but don't forget the banana kick point v Galway in the 99 Connacht Final - pure magic!!
Good to see you back, Barney.
Yeah, Colm Mac did flatten Gerry Flanagan alright but I feel he was retaliating for something or other. He had blood pouring down his face after the incident when 3 or 4 Leitrim players ganged up on him. He got a few clatters there and he gave a few back before the ref intervened. I was furious at the time when I saw none of the Leitrims getting the line also. It was only when watching the video afterwards I saw the incident with Flangan and I guess the ref was going to give Mac the gate anyway.
Like everything else he did, Colm didn't hold back when he belted Flanagan!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 07, 2009, 07:03:47 PM
Quote from: Barney on November 07, 2009, 01:30:44 PM

Good to see you back, Barney.
Yeah, Colm Mac did flatten Gerry Flanagan alright but I feel he was retaliating for something or other. He had blood pouring down his face after the incident when 3 or 4 Leitrim players ganged up on him. He got a few clatters there and he gave a few back before the ref intervened. I was furious at the time when I saw none of the Leitrims getting the line also. It was only when watching the video afterwards I saw the incident with Flangan and I guess the ref was going to give Mac the gate anyway.
Like everything else he did, Colm didn't hold back when he belted Flanagan!

Was that the game in McHale park when Maughan was on the pitch breaking things up and he got an awful clather?

You could see your man lining up the belt for about 10 seconds before he landed it.

southsidejohnny

A pity McMenamin didnt batter a few more of them. A cowardly belt dished out to Maughan at the end, wouldnt expect much more from them. I think they (Leitrim) were influenced by Meaths carry on that year.

blast05

Re that M McNicholas v Kilkenny ...... i'd say that was Ger McNicholas from Kiltimagh. He played a few league games in the mid to late 90's.
And its not the only mistakes on that blog .... cos Colm Mc definitely scored 7 pts .... even if the source of the info is being taken from some sort of county archive maintained by the county secretary or whatever.

moysider

I was leafing through John Scally s infuriating book called Giants of the West earlier. There s a gem of a photo on page 38. The Connacht Railway Cup team of 1952. Paddy Prendergast, Sean Flanagan, Eamonn Mongey, Padraic Carney and Tom langan are in it. So too is Gerry O Malley and Sean Purcell! What you would nt pay now to see those guys play together. No less than 3 on Team of the Millinium. Unfortunately the whole team is not named which is very slack. I m sure I recognise Peter Solan and Tom Acton but cant be sure. Can any of ye help out and do what the author did nt do and we ll name the rest? It has to be a great line up.

Turlough O Carolan

Is it the 51 or 52 team you want? The 51 team won 1-9 to 1-8 against Munster at Croke Park, the 52 team lost by a point to Leinster in Ballinasloe the following year.

The 51 team was:

Jack Mangan (Galway)
Bill McQuillan (Ros)
Paddy Prendergast (MayO)
Sean Flanagan (Mayo)
Eamon Boland (Ros)
Henry Dixon (Mayo)
Eamon Mongey (Mayo)
Sean Purcell (Galway)
Gerry O'Malley (Ros)
Eamon Keogh (Galway)
Padraig Carney (Mayo)
Joe Gilvarry (Mayo)
Mick Mulderrig (Mayo)
Tom Langan (Mayo)
Peter Solon (Mayo)

Subs: Peter McVann (Sligo), Jim Dooney (Sligo), Pat White (Sligo), Frank Kelly (Roscommon), Tim Lynch (Roscommon), Joe Bohan (Leitrim), Mick Flanagan (Mayo), John Forde (Mayo)

52 team was:

Sean Wynne - Mayo
Bill McQuillan - Ros
Paddy Predergast - Mayo
Sean Flanagan capt - Mayo
Joe Staunton - Mayo
John McAndrew - Mayo
Frank Kelly - Roscommon
Eamon Mongey - Mayo
Gerry O'Malley - Ros
Sean Purcell - Galway
Padraig Carney - Mayo
Tom McHugh - Galway
Joe Masterson - Sligo
Tom Langan - Mayo
Ned Keogh - Galway

Subs: John Forde (Mayo), Sean Mulderrig - (Mayo), Nace O'Dowd (Sligo), Frank White (Sligo), Eamon Boland (Ros)

muppet

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on November 28, 2009, 12:53:02 PM
Is it the 51 or 52 team you want? The 51 team won 1-9 to 1-8 against Munster at Croke Park, the 52 team lost by a point to Leinster in Ballinasloe the following year.

The 51 team was:

Jack Mangan (Galway)
Bill McQuillan (Ros)
Paddy Prendergast (MayO)
Sean Flanagan (Mayo)
Eamon Boland (Ros)
Henry Dixon (Mayo)
Eamon Mongey (Mayo)
Sean Purcell (Galway)
Gerry O'Malley (Ros)
Eamon Keogh (Galway)
Padraig Carney (Mayo)
Joe Gilvarry (Mayo)
Mick Mulderrig (Mayo)
Tom Langan (Mayo)
Peter Solon (Mayo)

Subs: Peter McVann (Sligo), Jim Dooney (Sligo), Pat White (Sligo), Frank Kelly (Roscommon), Tim Lynch (Roscommon), Joe Bohan (Leitrim), Mick Flanagan (Mayo), John Forde (Mayo)

52 team was:

Sean Wynne - Mayo
Bill McQuillan - Ros
Paddy Predergast - Mayo
Sean Flanagan capt - Mayo
Joe Staunton - Mayo
John McAndrew - Mayo
Frank Kelly - Roscommon
Eamon Mongey - Mayo
Gerry O'Malley - Ros
Sean Purcell - Galway
Padraig Carney - Mayo
Tom McHugh - Galway
Joe Masterson - Sligo
Tom Langan - Mayo
Ned Keogh - Galway

Subs: John Forde (Mayo), Sean Mulderrig - (Mayo), Nace O'Dowd (Sligo), Frank White (Sligo), Eamon Boland (Ros)

Don't know who Tom McHugh was but he can say he part of a half-forward line of Purcell and Carney and himself!
MWWSI 2017

moysider

According to the caption it was the 52 team but with Peter Solan in the starting 15 it would more likely have been 51 so. Solan is 3rd from right in front row in photo. He does nt appear to have been involved in 52.
Anyway just wonderin if people can put names to the faces in the photo. There are about 5 I cant put a name on.