The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 01, 2009, 02:16:51 PM
Contact Donagh, he will be submitting a full dossier of poppy wearers and abstentionists in the coming weeks.

Ahh bless... look who's developed a wee crush, it's the 'community worker with the big EU grant'  :-*

Estimator

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 01, 2009, 04:14:48 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 01, 2009, 04:13:26 PM
The Birmingham City team have them attached to their shirts today in the game v Man City.
Jeeze that's idiotic.

Burnley had the same yesterday!
Ulster League Champions 2009

delboy

Some shit talked on this thread, its impressive though to find so many skilled mind readers in one place, their ability to get inside other peoples heads (namely poppy wearers) and winkle out nefarious thoughts is truly remarkable  ::)

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 01, 2009, 06:27:32 PM
A directive from that particular manager I would say.

He must have been managing Celtic last year then so.

Martin O'Neill OBE wasn't sporting one on Saturday.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

RGU08

Just watching Sheff Utd v's Newcastle on sky, Shay Given is in the studio analysing the game along with James Beattie and AN OTHER. Shay is the only one NOT wearing a poppy  ;D

Doogie Browser

Watching Sky last night Hairy Keys, Tony Adams & Graeme Souness all had poppies on their lapel but Henrik the King of Kings was poppyless, then when I turned it over after the games he was wearing one.  Complaints I wonder?

I was praising his independence for not wearing one at the start, you just wonder what pressure was brought to bear that made him change his mind  ???

Gnevin

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 28, 2009, 01:30:45 PM

Btw Gnevin would appreciate it if you didn't try and link the logo of a sporting organisation with a symbol of war.

I did no such thing . I just posted an example of how some logo's and symbols can have different meanings to 2 different sets of people .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Declan on October 28, 2009, 10:31:16 AM
QuoteIn the south Superquinn and such places use the flag to encourage you to stay away from Aldi and Lidl. True patriots.

Must say I've never seen that Zap - Wherabouts?

Sundrive anyway and also in Walkinstown and Firhouse IIRC...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

windyshepardhenderson

i dont mind the poppy, whilst it gives the other side a chance to remember their brave soldiers, it also serves as a reminder of the murderous atrocities carried out closer to home by those brave brave men. bloody sunday, ballymurphy massacre, springhill shootings, new lodge etc the countless innocent civilians including priests and children. this is what i think of when someone walks past me with a poppy. let them never be forgotten.
lavey's finest

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gnevin on October 28, 2009, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 28, 2009, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: gerry on October 28, 2009, 12:47:48 AM
i find it a feck you badge rather than a mark of respect  to  someone who died in ww1 or ww2.
Have you ever had a conversation with a Poppy wearer to ask why they do so? I daresay that some wear it as a badge of identity, even as a "feck you badge".

However, imo that sort of prejudice is no different from that which you display, when you see a Poppy and automatically condemn the wearer, without knowing a damned thing about him/her.

What some would consider a "feck you badge"

Quote from: Gnevin on November 05, 2009, 11:44:06 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 28, 2009, 01:30:45 PM

Btw Gnevin would appreciate it if you didn't try and link the logo of a sporting organisation with a symbol of war.

I did no such thing . I just posted an example of how some logo's and symbols can have different meanings to 2 different sets of people .

You linked both together in your example, and the only inference that can be drawn is that the wearing of a GAA top is the equivalent to wearing the poppy, as EG gladly took in the following post!

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 28, 2009, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 28, 2009, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 28, 2009, 11:35:03 AM
Quote from: gerry on October 28, 2009, 12:47:48 AM
i find it a feck you badge rather than a mark of respect  to  someone who died in ww1 or ww2.
Have you ever had a conversation with a Poppy wearer to ask why they do so? I daresay that some wear it as a badge of identity, even as a "feck you badge".

However, imo that sort of prejudice is no different from that which you display, when you see a Poppy and automatically condemn the wearer, without knowing a damned thing about him/her.

What some would consider a "feck you badge"
Indeed and unless they ("some") had some knowledge of the motives of someone else displaying a GAA symbol, they would be being equally prejudicial.
Thank you for illustrating my point nicely.

Tbc....

Zapatista

The first topic on Vincent Brown lastnight was 'Should we wear a Poppy?'

The fact that it is a hot topic of discussion is a sign of how the Brits still have a hold on the mindset of Irish people.

Stick your Poppy up your ass!