The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Quote from: hardstation on October 31, 2009, 01:21:10 AM
We had a small problem in work regarding the poppy. A right few wearing the poppy but others were wearing a pin with a wee tiny poppy and a gunman. It was accepted to be ok by the company. One of the 'gunman wearers' made a remark to the boy who complained saying "We'll remember them. Is that ok?"

The boy allegedly said, "I'm happy enough, they're still f**king dead".

A bit of madness but calm was restored.

:o

fightin talk, Hardstation.  I can just see yer auld doll with the rolling pin rolling up the sleeves. EEEEEEK
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

SLIGONIAN

Its pisses me off, I find it offensive TBH, worked with an english company in Ireland and the clowns who wore it hadnt a clue what it means.

I wouldnt fall out over it (id be out of a job) especially the clowns that dont know what it means. I dont be long telling them your supporting the scum who shot innocent women and children at human rights rally in Derry who were unarmed on Bloody Sunday. So instead of jail time your donating to their nice and cosy retirement.

The Germany debate is irrelevant imo, the poppy is to support ex brit legion soldiers of all wars. Wasnt just the brits who died in the world wars as has been said. If the poppy was to remember just the 2 world wars and help the soldiers from that finincially in the aftermath then I wouldnt have a problem. Problem is it doenst stop there.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

The Watcher Pat

What really pisses me off is that they are selling them in my work place at the entrance....In a civil service building....Where you are not allowed to wear any "emblems"

There are lots of places to buy them if you want you don't have to bring them in to workplaces...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 30, 2009, 10:58:02 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 29, 2009, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 29, 2009, 02:43:19 AM
Quote from: dillinger on October 29, 2009, 12:38:32 AM

But it isnt until 8th Nov, the poppies have been on show from last Thursday. It gets earlier by the year

I agree peoplw wear them too early, I wear one, but not till the start of November. In my mind im wearing it to rem not just the British and Irish soldiers who died but also others who did their countries bidding.
what irish solider died to do their countries bidding? only traitors and remondites fighting for england. men who readily took the shilling to fight aginst their own countrymen. the type of f**ker that is killing children in Iraq/afghanistan now
but some how thinks he can justify his murder as it was only done for the money.
as as for your ealier assertion that the english were fighting germany in 1914 to keep the German out of Ireland ? do you really think that or are you on a wind up?
Horseshit. While only a couple of thousand men took part in the Easter Rising, tens of thousands were off serving in the trenches, most in the uniform of the British Army. Hard one for republicans to swallow, but absolutely true.

Yes we all know it's true, most of them in fact had no other income and had to join.
Keep telling yourself that if it helps.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 31, 2009, 11:41:02 AM

But it isnt until 8th Nov, the poppies have been on show from last Thursday. It gets earlier by the year

I agree peoplw wear them too early, I wear one, but not till the start of November. In my mind im wearing it to rem not just the British and Irish soldiers who died but also others who did their countries bidding.
what irish solider died to do their countries bidding? only traitors and remondites fighting for england. men who readily took the shilling to fight aginst their own countrymen. the type of f**ker that is killing children in Iraq/afghanistan now
but some how thinks he can justify his murder as it was only done for the money.
as as for your ealier assertion that the english were fighting germany in 1914 to keep the German out of Ireland ? do you really think that or are you on a wind up?
Horseshit. While only a couple of thousand men took part in the Easter Rising, tens of thousands were off serving in the trenches, most in the uniform of the British Army. Hard one for republicans to swallow, but absolutely true.

Yes we all know it's true, most of them in fact had no other income and had to join.

Tell me differently then. Go on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 31, 2009, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 31, 2009, 11:41:02 AM

Tell me differently then. Go on.
I don't doubt that some joined up for economic reasons. Many others, however, went in because either they believed the propaganda of the time and thought they were stopping the evil hun empire, or because they thought that the British would keep their promise to deliver Home Rule after the war. And some probably believed both of those things.

Farrandeelin

Do you believe the British would have kept their promise to deliver HR Myles? I for one don't. Any opinion from the rest of you regarding this issue?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

As there is no one left from WW1 those poppies arent being sold for them.
They are simply looking after the current and recent British soldiers  including the likes of Clegg,the cnut that shot Aiden McAnespie and the Derry murderers and many others who committed deeds of disgrace.
I can understand why Brits and Unionists might buy them but any non Unionist Irishman who does is beneath contempt. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dillinger

What really pisses me off is that they are selling them in my work place at the entrance....In a civil service building....Where you are not allowed to wear any "emblems"

There are lots of places to buy them if you want you don't have to bring them in to workplaces...
[/quote] 

And i would guess in your work place 2 wks ago they had a collection box for the R.N.L.I., hope its not the Royal bit that offends you. Yes i know, im just stirring it! I work in a civil service building my=self. :)

croker

I have no objection to anybody wearing a poppy. It is very narrow minded of anyone to see this as a sign of a particular religion/political views or nationality. Many irishmen lost their lives while in the forces not because of their nationality or lack of it. They simply saw it as an opportunity to earn money when times were hard. Many people are still losing their lives for the same reason. It is very judgemental of society to condone anybody wearing an emblem relating to history to an event in time to which they have remembrance of.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: croker on November 01, 2009, 01:10:11 AM
I have no objection to anybody wearing a poppy. It is very narrow minded of anyone to see this as a sign of a particular religion/political views or nationality. Many Irishmen lost their lives while in the forces not because of their nationality or lack of it. They simply saw it as an opportunity to earn money when times were hard. Many people are still losing their lives for the same reason. It is very judgemental of society to condone anybody wearing an emblem relating to history to an event in time to which they have remembrance of.

So tell me again who wears the poppy?  ::)

As for this crap that we were saved from German rule, if memory serves me right Switzerland was next to Germany and they weren't invaded!
Tbc....

croker

Well according to your statiscis a lot of irish fought in wars under a different group name in ww1 &2 .So some irish are definitely wearing the poppy if they or there family served in the WAR  ;)

Tonto

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 01, 2009, 01:28:20 AM
Quote from: croker on November 01, 2009, 01:10:11 AM
I have no objection to anybody wearing a poppy. It is very narrow minded of anyone to see this as a sign of a particular religion/political views or nationality. Many Irishmen lost their lives while in the forces not because of their nationality or lack of it. They simply saw it as an opportunity to earn money when times were hard. Many people are still losing their lives for the same reason. It is very judgemental of society to condone anybody wearing an emblem relating to history to an event in time to which they have remembrance of.

So tell me again who wears the poppy?  ::)

As for this crap that we were saved from German rule, if memory serves me right Switzerland was next to Germany and they weren't invaded!

You're older than I thought!!  But Switzerland is a very different case to Eire in WWII:
1.  Harsh landscape makes invasion difficult.
2.  No strategic importance made it unnecessary.
3.  Many Swiss are 'ethnically' German.
4.  Switzerland and Germany had good relations.

However:
1.  Eire was weak militarily (tiny navy would have made invasion impossible to repulse from an island nation and no air force).
2.  Great strategic importance.  Invading Eire would have put the Germans onto the same piece of land as the British in NI and also effectively have surrounded Britain on one side.

down6061689194

Just noticed Eddie Jordan isn't wearing one on the BBC. Don't know what the score is there.

Hardy

How do you surround something on one side?