The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 29, 2009, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 29, 2009, 02:43:19 AM
Quote from: dillinger on October 29, 2009, 12:38:32 AM

But it isnt until 8th Nov, the poppies have been on show from last Thursday. It gets earlier by the year

I agree peoplw wear them too early, I wear one, but not till the start of November. In my mind im wearing it to rem not just the British and Irish soldiers who died but also others who did their countries bidding.
what irish solider died to do their countries bidding? only traitors and remondites fighting for england. men who readily took the shilling to fight aginst their own countrymen. the type of f**ker that is killing children in Iraq/afghanistan now
but some how thinks he can justify his murder as it was only done for the money.
as as for your ealier assertion that the english were fighting germany in 1914 to keep the German out of Ireland ? do you really think that or are you on a wind up?
Horseshit. While only a couple of thousand men took part in the Easter Rising, tens of thousands were off serving in the trenches, most in the uniform of the British Army. Hard one for republicans to swallow, but absolutely true.

nobody eve denied that ther were not thousands of cowardly quisling fight ing for the english and all have their name on trators gate in stephens green . where their shame can be seen for the generations.
and can you tell me exactly what the 'greater good ' Was in defeating the German in WWI apart from defending the british empire while your at it tell me exactly what the english were doing in gallipoli in the first place .
the freedom of small nations? while murdering the Irish, a small nation they could actually do something about.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

While I think Rosnarun is being a bit over the top, the British side started WWI, a war started by Serb Terrorists.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 29, 2009, 11:42:53 PM
While I think Rosnarun is being a bit over the top, the British side started WWI, a war started by Serb Terrorists.
I think Rosnarun is blocked and listening the The Wolfe Tones.

dillinger

British and Irish soldiers who died but also others who did their countries bidding.

[/quote]
Germany never did f**k all against the Irish. they had no interst goodbad or indifferent. cyspace.
[/quote]

Germany did feck all against the irish. Thats true. Do you really think, and im repeating my-self, they would have left Ireland alone if they had ruled Europe? And i see its hard for you to get your head around the fact that a million Irish people see themselves also as British, now and during the war

Tonto

Quote from: rosnarun on October 29, 2009, 11:35:01 PM
Germany never did f**k all against the Irish.

"...and if you know your history..."

QuoteThe Bombing of Dublin in World War II occurred on 31 May 1941, when amid World War II, the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) bombed Dublin, the capital of neutral Ireland (Éire), killing 34 persons.

...and...
QuoteDespite its neutrality, Ireland (i.e., Éire; the island excluding Northern Ireland) had not been totally spared German air bombardment before the Dublin raid. Earlier bombing raids of Éire included:

26 August 1940, German bombs were dropped on County Wexford, the bombs hitting Duncormick and Ambrosetown did no discernible damage. However, a bomb hit a restaurant in Campile killing 3 persons. In 1943, the German government paid £9000 in compensation.
20 December 1940, German bombs hit Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, and Dun Laoghaire and the Sandycove railway station, both near Dublin. There were no fatalities, but 3 persons were injured.
1 January 1941, German bombs hit Duleek and Julianstown (both County Meath), without casualties.
2 January 1941, German bombs hit Terenure in Dublin, destroying several houses and injuring 7 persons, and Ballymurn (County Wexford) without casualties. Dublin itself (Fortfield Road) was hit, without damage or casualties, and the nearby and Curragh Racecourse was hit with incendiary devices, and other bombs hit County Wicklow. German bombs also destroyed a house in Knockroe (County Carlow), killing 3 persons.
3 January 1941, Dublin was again hit by German bombers, this time injuring 20 persons.

Could you not even wear a poppy in solidarity for the Irish that died?

And by the way, the only reason the Germans didn't invade Eire during WWII was because they knew the British would have come to Eire's rescue.  It might have been in self-defence, yes, but it's true nonetheless.

Tonto

Sorry, it should also be pointed out that attacks by Germans on Eire's soil was still not enough to turn the "Emergency" (I hate that term) into a War.  Turns out that, when it comes to a proper war, Dev was as yellow as a duck's ass.  Maybe that's why true Irishmen from the 26 counties donned the British uniform in WWII.

guy crouchback

Quotenobody eve denied that ther were not thousands of cowardly quisling fight ing for the english and all have their name on trators gate in stephens green . where their shame can be seen for the generations.

as far as i know and i am open to correction on this the names on tratiors gate relate to those who died during the Boer war

Canalman

Yep...... "Traitors' Gate" commemorates the Boer War dead.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Aerlik on October 28, 2009, 10:53:41 AM
I notice the Dutch, French or Belgians don't bother with the poppy.  Does anyone know why that might be?
like the aussies - these people buy one (or more) but dont need to show it as a 'badge' of their identity as they do in the six counties or enger-land  (where johnny foreigner needs to be reminded annually of who won two world wars and one world cup etc etc)
:D

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 28, 2009, 12:01:14 PM

Quote from: Orior on October 28, 2009, 10:47:55 AM
The vast vast vast majority in the north of Ireland wear it to remind themselves and everyone else that they're british.
My mum would buy one, but would never be seen wearing it (I hope! lol)
Does that mean your mum is a (secret) Brit?  ???

Maybe his mum wants to make a charitable donation to those that have survived wars and need a helping hand (isn't that a significant part of the poppy idealism) but doesn't want to be associated with those that have hijacked the symbolism to represent the fact their Brits?

Being charitable without flaunting it? Commendable really. 

/Jim.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tonto on October 30, 2009, 09:32:57 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 29, 2009, 11:35:01 PM
Germany never did f**k all against the Irish.

"...and if you know your history..."

QuoteThe Bombing of Dublin in World War II occurred on 31 May 1941, when amid World War II, the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) bombed Dublin, the capital of neutral Ireland (Éire), killing 34 persons.

...and...
QuoteDespite its neutrality, Ireland (i.e., Éire; the island excluding Northern Ireland) had not been totally spared German air bombardment before the Dublin raid. Earlier bombing raids of Éire included:

26 August 1940, German bombs were dropped on County Wexford, the bombs hitting Duncormick and Ambrosetown did no discernible damage. However, a bomb hit a restaurant in Campile killing 3 persons. In 1943, the German government paid £9000 in compensation.
20 December 1940, German bombs hit Carrickmacross, County Monaghan, and Dun Laoghaire and the Sandycove railway station, both near Dublin. There were no fatalities, but 3 persons were injured.
1 January 1941, German bombs hit Duleek and Julianstown (both County Meath), without casualties.
2 January 1941, German bombs hit Terenure in Dublin, destroying several houses and injuring 7 persons, and Ballymurn (County Wexford) without casualties. Dublin itself (Fortfield Road) was hit, without damage or casualties, and the nearby and Curragh Racecourse was hit with incendiary devices, and other bombs hit County Wicklow. German bombs also destroyed a house in Knockroe (County Carlow), killing 3 persons.
3 January 1941, Dublin was again hit by German bombers, this time injuring 20 persons.

Could you not even wear a poppy in solidarity for the Irish that died?
I consider that poppy thing as being in solidarity with the  British Army who down the years in various guises killed thousands upon thousands of Irish people.
I only wear an Easter lily to honour the brave souls who died for Ireland fighting the biggest meanest greediest most evil Empire ever visited upon the non British people of the World. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tonto on October 30, 2009, 09:35:26 AM
Sorry, it should also be pointed out that attacks by Germans on Eire's soil was still not enough to turn the "Emergency" (I hate that term) into a War.  Turns out that, when it comes to a proper war, Dev was as yellow as a duck's ass.  Maybe that's why true Irishmen from the 26 counties donned the British uniform in WWII.
True Irishmen put on British army uniforms?

Get real
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stew

I would never wear a poppy but I dont have any problem with those that do, I do however find it amazing that so many irishmen fought for the british army over a period spanning generations. I would rather die than fight for that shower of hoors.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Myles Na G. on October 29, 2009, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 29, 2009, 02:43:19 AM
Quote from: dillinger on October 29, 2009, 12:38:32 AM

But it isnt until 8th Nov, the poppies have been on show from last Thursday. It gets earlier by the year

I agree peoplw wear them too early, I wear one, but not till the start of November. In my mind im wearing it to rem not just the British and Irish soldiers who died but also others who did their countries bidding.
what irish solider died to do their countries bidding? only traitors and remondites fighting for england. men who readily took the shilling to fight aginst their own countrymen. the type of f**ker that is killing children in Iraq/afghanistan now
but some how thinks he can justify his murder as it was only done for the money.
as as for your ealier assertion that the english were fighting germany in 1914 to keep the German out of Ireland ? do you really think that or are you on a wind up?
Horseshit. While only a couple of thousand men took part in the Easter Rising, tens of thousands were off serving in the trenches, most in the uniform of the British Army. Hard one for republicans to swallow, but absolutely true.

Yes we all know it's true, most of them in fact had no other income and had to join.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Quote from: stew on October 30, 2009, 08:51:41 PM
I would never wear a poppy but I dont have any problem with those that do, I do however find it amazing that so many irishmen fought for the british army over a period spanning generations. I would rather die than fight for that shower of hoors.

That's the tip of the iceberg.

The definition of a true Irishman? - Doesn't exist. Why the feck do we speak English? Head south of Kinsale and it's French. Head east of Scotland and it's that thon stuff yer lads out of The Muppets spake. We drink Guinness and bow to English sport/music.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.