Author Topic: The IRISH RUGBY thread  (Read 773432 times)

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
Re: The IRISH RUGBY thread
« Reply #8415 on: October 05, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
These tackles were barely a yellow last Yr, you got a 6ft 8in giant tacking a man barely 6ft was started to bend down as your man hit him. If the man a bck rower 6ft 4in tackle was fine. Does ever player judge the size of the player before tacking.

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: October 05, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
I thought the red card was harsh. Farrell wasn't hurt at all in the tackle. If the argentine was being malicious Farrell would have been knocked out. Farrell was very low when being tackled as well.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #8417 on: October 05, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »
These tackles were barely a yellow last Yr, you got a 6ft 8in giant tacking a man barely 6ft was started to bend down as your man hit him. If the man a bck rower 6ft 4in tackle was fine. Does ever player judge the size of the player before tacking.

Thatís really my issue here too. This law is genuinely discriminatory against lock forwards.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: October 05, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
My initial thought was harsh but on second glance it's technically a red. Unfortunately we have to go through these changes/decisions or lawyers will have it turning into tag rugby.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: October 05, 2019, 11:21:36 AM »
The rule will see big men send off for coming of their line at speed and smaller men crouching down to take the hit,

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: October 05, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
My initial thought was harsh but on second glance it's technically a red. Unfortunately we have to go through these changes/decisions or lawyers will have it turning into tag rugby.
It was definitely technically a red. Farrell had dipped a fraction, but not enough.

However, if Farrell had committed the exact same tackle on, say, the Argie scrum half, it would have been yellow as they would have said the very slight dip was enough mitigation to reduce it from red.
England had two blatant yellow cards (Sinckler and Tuilagi) that werenít given. Eng, NZ and the Aussies are reffed differently to everyone else. 

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: October 05, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »
Wana see dangerous hit on small men Samoa up against Japan now 🤔

grounded

• View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: October 05, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »

It was interesting to see how Owens reviewed the tackle on video before giving the red. I think he mentioned the perceived intentions of the tackler and that he hadnt made enough of an effort to go lower and had led with the shoulder.
              What was lost in the video slo mo was the real time speed of the tackle, which all happened in a fraction of a second. The big lock was just too slow to react to Farrell dipping to evade.
              The rugby hierarchy had to respond to the issue of head injury and this was their response.
               Can they bring the sport back to one of evasion rather than collision, without spoiling the spectacle?

grounded

• View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: October 05, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
A lot of very dangerous hits also take place around rucks. Players from both sides hitting the opposition rucks where the players are bound with their heads in very vulnerable positions.

Samoa still in with a shot of upsetting the odds here

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 12:36:29 PM by grounded »

Solo_run

• View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: October 05, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
Samoa would be dangerous if they could pass and hold on to the ball when it matters

Solo_run

• View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: October 05, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
I'm beginning to think this WC is a fix.

World Rugby has come out this week and said the penalties against Ireland in Japan shouldn't have been given.

I'm the match against Samoa

1) Samoa knew they were going to be able to do nothing from their own 5 yard line.

2) A crooked feed into the scrum giving Japan the scrum resulting in the try.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: October 05, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
Have seen a straight line feed in yrs, used to be you could see the hooker fight to tap the ball bck, Ruck clear outs more dangerous than accidental high tackles. Many player lying with head down and men running in with shoulders to clean out rucks.

grounded

• View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: October 05, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »

World Rugby has come out this week and said the penalties against Ireland in Japan shouldn't have been given.

1) Samoa knew they were going to be able to do nothing from their own 5 yard line.

An absolutely bizarre decision by Samoa to scrum under their own posts after being under pressure in the previous scrums. 

Was the penalty for a crooked feed? Cant remember the last time ive even seen a call for that.  Or was it for no attempt to hook? I didnt hear his reasoning.

Anyway, its entirely Ireland's own fault for the position we are in. Took the Japanese challenge too lightly and paid for it.

I think that win means Japan can still loose against scotland and qualify provided they get a loosing bonus point? I assume Ireland have to win with a bonus point to ensure they qualify?

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: October 05, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »

An absolutely bizarre decision by Samoa to scrum under their own posts after being under pressure in the previous scrums. 

Was the penalty for a crooked feed? Cant remember the last time ive even seen a call for that.  Or was it for no attempt to hook? I didnt hear his reasoning.

Anyway, its entirely Ireland's own fault for the position we are in. Took the Japanese challenge too lightly and paid for it.

I think that win means Japan can still loose against scotland and qualify provided they get a loosing bonus point? I assume Ireland have to win with a bonus point to ensure they qualify?

If Ireland win with a bonus point then Japan would need to win, or lose with 2 bonus points, to finish 1st. If Ireland win without a bonus point then will only be in trouble if Scotland win with bonus and Japan are within 7. All 3 would be on same points.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:11:10 PM by shark »

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: October 07, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
Typhoon Hagibis could yet put Ireland out.

If the typhoon causes Saturdays game to be cancelled and it isnt rescheduled to the Sunday then the game is declared a draw and Ireland are out  :-\