Author Topic: The IRISH RUGBY thread  (Read 536933 times)

AZOffaly

• View Profile
Re: The IRISH RUGBY thread
« Reply #6675 on: March 14, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

I doubt it. Typical Joe Pro-Leinster bias!

Sweeper 123

• View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: March 14, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
and we would know who is better - I think Joe is getting it pretty right on; Best is a great player

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
Dillane is in the squad, would have featured against Italy except for the death of his mother. Just another example of the depth Schmidt is creating:- Henderson 26, Dillane 24, Ryan 21. It's why Donnacha Ryan 34 didn't get a national contract.

Schmidt is not making the players. The provinces are. If anything he was too slow to blood lads but thankfully has learned the lesson. The depth in Irish rugby at the moment is significant.

Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

The facts don't back up that assertion. Just look at Ryan who played for Ireland before Leinster, Porter, Stockdale and Lamour from this season alone. Dillane, Van De Flier, Carberry etc He is in year 5 and has given 50 1st caps.

Correct, some of the above were brought to Ireland camps very early in the careers after being picked out by Schmidt.  He has been conservative to date but results are on his side.  Of course surpassing our record of quarter-finals in World Cup is the remaining acid test.

/Jim.

3 championships in 5 years is a far greater achievement than failure to win 2 one-off games. 6 nations is the bread and butter.
Agreed, BUT, we need to progress past a WC Qtr Final at the very least next time round - we have underachieved in a couple of WC's to this point.

I don't disagree but I wouldn't get hung up on the WC as higher barometer of success than consistency in the 6 nations. It's too easy a stick to beat people with.
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

Dinny Breen

• View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: March 14, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

I am thinking about it just because Japan is on my bucket list. Will be expensive.
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

I am thinking about it just because Japan is on my bucket list. Will be expensive.

You have a year to get some sort of coaching role!

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: March 14, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »
Fellas in work are already looking at the supplier audit schedule next year trying to organise dates to coincide with the WC as if nobody knows what they are at!  :D

passedit

• Remember 1960
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: March 14, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

I have two tickets for each of Ireland's group games, cost me over a grand but suspect this will be a drop in the ocean compared with the overall cost of the trip. Japan has been on the missus's bucket list for a while. I finally caved in when they scheduled the world cup for there. Anybody been there before?
Don't Panic

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: March 14, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Best will be 37 when the next World Cup starts. Hard to believe he'll be playing to the level required. Are there any top hookers playing well at international level at 37?

Schmidt learned his lesson of being too conservative with young prospects at the last world cup. He has adapted admirably.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

I have two tickets for each of Ireland's group games, cost me over a grand but suspect this will be a drop in the ocean compared with the overall cost of the trip. Japan has been on the missus's bucket list for a while. I finally caved in when they scheduled the world cup for there. Anybody been there before?

Got offered tickets for the Scotland game the other day and said yes. Flights around 500-600. Apparently a very expensive country but would be a once in a lifetime trip.

Clov

• View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: March 14, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
I don't think any of you will regret going - a great country.
I went to the 2002 world cup and enjoyed every minute.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: March 14, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Blow to EJ as two of his backbone are ruled out for season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43403423

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: March 14, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

It would appear that Joe and his team feel Rory will still be the man come WC 2019.

No real reason to think he won't be.

/Jim.

Best is a leader and just a hard nosed f*ck.

He is also a key man in the choke tackle and turnover ball, although less noticeable this year.

Dinny Breen

• View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: March 14, 2018, 02:27:29 PM »
Anyone heading to Japan?

You have a year to get some sort of coaching role!

Ha! No chance. Although the Irish u20s coach was a former assistant coach of mine so I do wonder where I went wrong*  :)

* more money in IT.
2008 GAA Spreads Winner

Jim_Murphy_74

• View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
3 championships in 5 years is a far greater achievement than failure to win 2 one-off games. 6 nations is the bread and butter.

Don't disagree but I think he will want to improve on the World Cup after last time.

/Jim.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: March 14, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
A potential WC 1/4 final v South Africa could be very difficult. I'm just glad it wont be Argentina.

Is there any more word on a potential match against New Zealand in the US this autumn??