The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 10, 2018, 08:04:38 PM
Wales had the winning of that game. They had a try disallowed by the tmo that should have been given. They will be a tough opponent for Ireland.

I thought the decision by the TMO was correct there was no control on the grounding by the Welsh player
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Avondhu star

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

screenexile

Quote from: David McKeown on February 10, 2018, 10:29:33 PM
Wales had the winning of that game. They had a try disallowed by the tmo that should have been given. They will be a tough opponent for Ireland.

I thought the decision by the TMO was correct there was no control on the grounding by the Welsh player

Don't think there had to be control just downward pressure.

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on February 11, 2018, 01:15:32 PM

Looked to me like both players hand a hand on it when it grounded first; what are the rules in that situation?

trileacman

Really needless rule change. What was wrong with "downward pressure"?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

David McKeown

I think the rule says it must be pressed down rather than merely touched down. I may have used the word control incorrectly but I still think the welsh player seemed to merely touch the ball on the ground as his hand slid off and the ball continued to come up. To me it appeared he wasn't pressing the ball down

grounded

They will definitely be a difficult opponent for Ireland. We've really struggled to break down their defensive setup over this last few years. Btw i think the ref had the decision correct not awarding the try. But they had a number of other chances. They missed lee halfpenny big time for his kicking ability.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on February 11, 2018, 10:58:56 PM

They will definitely be a difficult opponent for Ireland. We've really struggled to break down their defensive setup over this last few years. Btw i think the ref had the decision correct not awarding the try. But they had a number of other chances. They missed lee halfpenny big time for his kicking ability.

Halfpenny was a huge loss, set aside his kicking he can also play! Scored two tries last week also, and can tackle as good as anyone
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: David McKeown on February 11, 2018, 06:32:30 PM

I think the rule says it must be pressed down rather than merely touched down. I may have used the word control incorrectly but I still think the welsh player seemed to merely touch the ball on the ground as his hand slid off and the ball continued to come up. To me it appeared he wasn't pressing the ball down

Having seen it from a different angle this morning I have changed my mind. Poor decision from TMO

seafoid

Scotland were able to score tries against France and they didn't need a last minute drop goal either. Ireland can't afford to be either conservative or complacent.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2018, 08:08:53 PM
Scotland were able to score tries against France and they didn't need a last minute drop goal either. Ireland can't afford to be either conservative or complacent.

They also allowed France to score 26 points? Can't compare games teams and and match ups! The manager/coach will be able to work out what's best for the team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2018, 08:16:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2018, 08:08:53 PM

They also allowed France to score 26 points? Can't compare games teams and and match ups! The manager/coach will be able to work out what's best for the team

There was a fair difference in the weather conditions between both games as well!!

thewobbler

I've watched a bucketload of NFL this year, where decisions cannot be made easily within the rules of the game,  and now this in the rugby.

The VARs in these sports need a simple doctrine from above: in all decisions, when it's a coin toss, the favour will always go with the attacking / defending team; whichever way the doctrine is stated. VARs then cite that as their final decision when one cannot clearly be made.

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2018, 11:37:21 PM
I've watched a bucketload of NFL this year, where decisions cannot be made easily within the rules of the game,  and now this in the rugby.

The VARs in these sports need a simple doctrine from above: in all decisions, when it's a coin toss, the favour will always go with the attacking / defending team; whichever way the doctrine is stated. VARs then cite that as their final decision when one cannot clearly be made.

Did the Rugby authorities not come out and say that the video ref made a mistake in the try that was denied to Wales?

Tough on Wales but good that the governing authorities are open about these things in a timely manner and not just be seen to back the officials to the hilt even when they are wrong.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2018, 11:37:21 PM

That's pure nonsense. The rules should be clear and easily understood and favour neither team. In American football one of the nonsenses they have is making the refs call it in real time and that call being treated with a certain reverence (clear evidence that it should be overturned) when it really shouldn't.

The TMO whiffed on this one. It happens rarely enough in rugby that there is nothing to see here, let alone do.