The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 30, 2020, 08:20:12 AM
Can't anyone else see Farrell not lasting long?

It was sheer madness (and probably the cheap option) to appoint an ex league man as head coach.

Announcing Schmidt's departure and Farrell's appointment pre RWC 2019. Lunacy.

Farrell is a transition manager. The Grand Slam team flopped at the RWC and the transition kicked off.
Transitions are not about results. They are about transitioning to a better team.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 30, 2020, 09:05:36 AM
It would be Pat Lam for me.

The elephant in the room is the style of play currently adopted by Leinster. They have moved for expansive play to bosh merchants this past few years which is a real shame as they have the players to implement a running game.
I agree with this, Lam is the stand out candidate - although I wouldn't say no to a return for Gatty, and neither is Mark McCall a slouch

The danger is Wales will move first and get him

The problem with being a transition coach is you have to be totally sure of yourself and be totally willing to offend people, to cut them loose

I don't think Farrell is that, he's hanging onto Sexton because he's afraid that results will be bad

Like, can Sexton make the next World Cup? I don't think so - youth is badly needed in that position

Lam is the sort of coach who in a rugby context can do what Klopp does and hugely improve players, and as a man manager he seems to be top class

The job he did with Connacht was remarkable

screenexile

Here's a question. Who is Ireland's long term out half after Sexton?? Do we have an International standard out half to replace him?

Ross Byrne has hardly set the world alight anytime he's played and while Burns did fairly well yesterday it was against Georgia.

Rudi

Quote from: screenexile on November 30, 2020, 12:46:02 PM
Here's a question. Who is Ireland's long term out half after Sexton?? Do we have an International standard out half to replace him?

Ross Byrne has hardly set the world alight anytime he's played and while Burns did fairly well yesterday it was against Georgia.

Is Joey Carberry (if he ever manages to get injury free) an option, talented but seems a bit soft. Or is he just an injury write off. At the moment we have major issues at 7,9,10 & 15. Rob Kearney was in hindsight very uner-rated. Hopefully Dan Leavy can make an impact again, looked a serious bit of stuff in 2018.
Would like to see Pat Lam in, would be a serious change from the up the jumper stuff our rugby league coach has us playing.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rudi on November 30, 2020, 01:09:01 PM

Is Joey Carberry (if he ever manages to get injury free) an option, talented but seems a bit soft. Or is he just an injury write off. At the moment we have major issues at 7,9,10 & 15. Rob Kearney was in hindsight very uner-rated. Hopefully Dan Leavy can make an impact again, looked a serious bit of stuff in 2018.
Would like to see Pat Lam in, would be a serious change from the up the jumper stuff our rugby league coach has us playing.

Honestly, he's a write off. You can't build a team around him. You can't even plan for him anymore.

galwayman

Bringing him to the World Cup was a huge mistake.
Gross negligence on the part of the management and medical staff imo.
That decision could effectively destroy his career.

whitegoodman

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: whitegoodman on November 30, 2020, 03:25:24 PM
Patrick Jackson

Has enough time passed? Don't see anywhere for him but Connacht even then. The uproar would it be worth it?

dublin7

Carbery was the option, but ever since he went to Munster he has spent more time out injured than being available for selection.

One of the reason's Farrell is sticking with Sexton is because there is no reliable replacement out there for him at the moment. That's why Farrell is rotating the players at out half looking for a solution.

Ross Byrne's younger brother Harry Byrne has got alot of games this year for Leinster at 10 and he is probably going to pass out Ross at Leinster in the next year or so. Ross is the better kicker, but Harry has more pace and vision with the ball in hand so I'd hopefully see him as Ireland's best long term solution

Rudi

Quote from: Rudi on November 30, 2020, 01:09:01 PM

Hooker position is a problem area too, 5 players short.

restorepride

Maybe change the shape of the ball?

screenexile

Quote from: restorepride on November 30, 2020, 10:21:32 PM
Maybe change the shape of the ball?

Ireland not much use whatever shape of ball you're talking about!!

Walter Cronc

The next 10 is probably Harry Byrne. A quicker and better player than his older brother Ross.

Ben Healy at Munster looks the part and is progressing well.

Such a shame Carbery is wrecked by injury. He could have been a generational type talent.

Not giving either Craig Casey or Harry Bryne a shot v Georgia summed up Farrell for me and convinces me he won't be a success.

Walter Cronc

After typing this I see Glasgow are after Ben Healy. Apparently he has Scottish heritage. Grealish # 2 😂🤢

seafoid

Around 90 players are out of contract. Covid has held up contract discussions. The IRFU made a loss of EUR 35m in 2020
So more than a few will presumably be dropped.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU