Author Topic: The IRISH RUGBY thread  (Read 841136 times)

Nanderson

• View Profile
Re: The IRISH RUGBY thread
« Reply #9210 on: November 21, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
Seems like Irelands problem has been that under joe their lineout and maul was so effective that it was always the default option to go for the corner and pass of kicks at goal. Certainly shouldnt be happening now when the lineout has been hit and more than likely miss over the last 24 months. If they had someone like O'Gara on the field they would be taking the kick at goal at all times. I don't get in rugby why teams can spend so long in an opponents half/22 and not just spam drop goals and take points. Surely its the most efficient way to get scores on the board.

Dar31

• View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: November 22, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
Ireland are just too predictible we have to pin back a rushing drfence mske them think dink a ball over the top make them hesitate about rushing forward .  Ireland need to get the basics right first at the moment we cant even secure our own possession

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: November 24, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
Ireland are just too predictible we have to pin back a rushing drfence mske them think dink a ball over the top make them hesitate about rushing forward .  Ireland need to get the basics right first at the moment we cant even secure our own possession

I don't get running crash ball after crash ball and getting knocked back time and time again by the bigger men. That's playing to Englands strength and the only try we got was when they'd the wit to chip the ball over the England rush defence for Stockdale to get in behind and take the catch.

It only took 75 odd minutes to work that one out FFS.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:23 PM »
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/eddie-jones-and-liverpool-connection-help-england-flip-the-switch-1.4416125

Jones is England’s “flick the switch” coach. The 60-year-old Australian concocts scenarios so everyone knows how to score in transition (methods that come straight from the NBA). But it goes further back than training in leafy Teddington. For true knowledge, we must travel north to Merseyside and Liverpool FC’s director of research Ian Graham.
“We’ve divided the coaching team up into three areas: attack, defence and ‘flick the switch’,” Jones explained. “I’m nominally the flick the switch co-ordinator but all the other coaches do all the work. We have created games that mimic those situations.
“I think I mentioned we had a great meeting with the Liverpool analysis and that’s one area we are starting to develop our own database and starting to use some tracking from a company called Sport Ability that is helping us in that area, to measure work off the ball, which is so important in the transitional part of the game.
Lookit

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: November 24, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »

I don't get running crash ball after crash ball and getting knocked back time and time again by the bigger men. That's playing to Englands strength and the only try we got was when they'd the wit to chip the ball over the England rush defence for Stockdale to get in behind and take the catch.

It only took 75 odd minutes to work that one out FFS.

This goes back to Schmidt too though, it was different when Ireland were the hammer, now they are the nail. England are a more physical team and it's not even close - there was a time it wasn't in doubt it was Ireland and you could do that type of basic enough rugby (assuming your set piece is strong, which Ireland's was hideous anyway). I think Rassie Erasmus words should really be stinging to the Irish "They are not softies, they're not like Ireland,”

Shocking day at the office. Assuming the 2021 Six Nations is going ahead. There is a lot of work to be done, Ireland are very much like Wales at the moment, the lowest ebb in many years.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: November 29, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
Joe Schmidt is the jack charlton of Irish rugby. The muck were playing nowadays might be irreversible.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: November 29, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
Just seen there Georgia are ranked higher than Italy in World Rugby?

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: November 29, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »
Used to be a huge fan of rugby. It’s become unwatchable now. That was horrendous viewing.

Baile Brigín 2

• View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: November 29, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »
Just seen there Georgia are ranked higher than Italy in World Rugby?
They rarely play teams above them

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #9219 on: November 29, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
Used to be a huge fan of rugby. It’s become unwatchable now. That was horrendous viewing.

I’m the same. Professional, error free defensive systems, and sheer physical size has largely sucked the entertainment out of the game. At the highest level it’s now as much a battle of concentration as anything else. Chess was never much fun as a spectator sport either.

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: November 29, 2020, 07:10:44 PM »

I’m the same. Professional, error free defensive systems, and sheer physical size has largely sucked the entertainment out of the game. At the highest level it’s now as much a battle of concentration as anything else. Chess was never much fun as a spectator sport either.

I fear Rugby is in real trouble, where is it going?, players are only going to get bigger, defensive systems only going to improve. Most tries are “through the phases” kn**ker the opposition , then exploit a gap by a speed or strength mismatch.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: November 29, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the pitch 10 yards wider.

I fear Rugby is in real trouble, where is it going?, players are only going to get bigger, defensive systems only going to improve. Most tries are “through the phases” kn**ker the opposition , then exploit a gap by a speed or strength mismatch.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: November 29, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »

Agreed but Rugby was always an ugly game. That spell in the noughties when it was hugely entertaining was on reflection an outlier. Rugby matches for the previous 40 years were shite. Watch any old video of Willie John or Lions tour.

The athletic aspect has really killed the game now though. The variation in physical attributes was always one of rugby's great appeals. A game with a place for the strong, the tall, the quick, the heavy etc. Nowadays it has just morphed into rugby league with contested set-pieces with all the players being more or less the same.

The real irony is that although players are more or less interchangeable in positions now they're no better at the basics of the game than in the amateur era. They are jacks of all trades and the masters of none. Scrum-halfs and centres are better at tackling and counter-rucking than they used to be but poorer at passing. Out-halfs can now tackle and run with the ball but can't kick from the hand. FB's can't attack a broken field. loose forwards can carry and pass but can't counter-ruck. It makes for a very poor spectacle.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: November 29, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »

Agreed but Rugby was always an ugly game. That spell in the noughties when it was hugely entertaining was on reflection an outlier. Rugby matches for the previous 40 years were shite. Watch any old video of Willie John or Lions tour.

The athletic aspect has really killed the game now though. The variation in physical attributes was always one of rugby's great appeals. A game with a place for the strong, the tall, the quick, the heavy etc. Nowadays it has just morphed into rugby league with contested set-pieces with all the players being more or less the same.

The real irony is that although players are more or less interchangeable in positions now they're no better at the basics of the game than in the amateur era. They are jacks of all trades and the masters of none. Scrum-halfs and centres are better at tackling and counter-rucking than they used to be but poorer at passing. Out-halfs can now tackle and run with the ball but can't kick from the hand. FB's can't attack a broken field. loose forwards can carry and pass but can't counter-ruck. It makes for a very poor spectacle.

It’s rugby league with more phases and better goal kickers.

You’re probably right about that golden period. A short window when brilliant players stood out, because professional contracts allowed them to give everything to the game.

Then came the giant robots.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: November 29, 2020, 08:06:04 PM »

It’s rugby league with more phases and better goal kickers.

You’re probably right about that golden period. A short window when brilliant players stood out, because professional contracts allowed them to give everything to the game.

Then came the giant robots.

I fell in love with rugby in that period of the noughties but it couldn't last at least not with professionalism about. I felt a bit of a sea change during the 2007 WC and Argentina's style of play. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it has sort of felt since that Northern Hemisphere rugby has been dominated by forcing the oppositions to make mitakes rather than creating oppurtunities of your own.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:09:17 PM by trileacman »