There's no sentiment in football but this is sad / bad !

Started by orangeman, October 27, 2009, 10:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Hutton poised for Brandywell exit 

Peter Hutton has scored 60 goals for the Candystripes
Derry City captain Peter Hutton will leave the crisis-hit club at the end of the season after being told his contract will not be renewed.

The 36-year-old central defender, who has made 661 appearances for the Candystripes, is the first victim of City's cost-cutting measures. "It was like a bolt out of the blue but I don't hold any grudges," said Hutton.

The former Portadown player has ruled out retirement and he is considering a return to the Irish League.

Hutton, who also played for Shelbourne, had a brief spell at Shamrock Park in 1998.

He added: "Hopefully, I can get an opportunity to keep playing, possibly in the Irish League on a part-time basis.

"I've kept myself in good shape and I intend to continue to look after myself, so I'm not retiring from the game just yet.

"I was informed by Stephen Kenny that my contract would not be renewed and I was disappointed, but that's football."

Hutton and his team-mates have not had their wages paid on time because of the ongoing financial difficulties at the Brandywell.

The club has been very good to me as a player, but the state of the local game is not good at the moment.

Peter Hutton
He is saddened at the club's current plight, which could lead to Derry losing their Premier Division status.

"It's very disappointing that the club is on its knees again," he said.

"I was at the Brandywell in 2000 when the club experienced financial difficulties and, even before that, there were problems when Derry had to go into voluntary liquidation during the 1990s.

"My over-riding feeling is one of sadness. I've been involved as one of the players' representatives in the ongoing discussions with the Board and I've become a bit disillusioned.

"The club has been very good to me as a player, but the state of the local game is not good at the moment and we've come to understand that we are not immune from the difficulties.

"It's certainly been a rollercoaster ride for me but, fingers crossed, people will rally around and the club will return a much better organisation for the changes that will be made."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Orangeman, sadly Derry are in great financial diffs atm, this will only be the tip of the iceberg.
The club have stark choices ahead, get rid of playing staff and cut wage bill or fold.
Tbc....

Doogie Browser

Pizza has been a great servant to Derry down the years.  Local soccer needs teams like Derry to survive, but the money is just not there anymore.

bingobus

How unstable is the LOI? It seems madness at the minute with well supported clubs just not able to sustain the playing costs. Its only a matter of time before clubs start going totally out of business, the shelbourne situation hasn't had any affect it seems.

Clubs spending way above their means on wages, they may be more competitive in european stage but if you aren't going to exist the next year, whats the point?

Lot of speculation that Derry may be forced back into NI Irish league.

Norf Tyrone

Generally the wages in both leagues is OTT, but I think in Derry's case they were being manged fairly sensibly but they lost 3 big sponsors due to the recession, and no one able to back fill that.

However the worry is that they are in this position, even after raising ~£200k via the two lads going to Celtic. Them sort of deals happen once every 5 years.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The GAA

ONeill

Did St Pat's not get a big cash injection/take-over 2 years ago? What happened to that?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

I think you are thinking of Bohs O'Neill.

They sold Dalymount Pk for development with a promise of a new stadium out in the sticks. I think they got an upfront. Now there are legal issues cos one section of the ground wasn't theirs to sell. Developers want out of the deal seeing as the construction industry has gone tits up.

Dunno where this one will end!

Main Street

QuoteClubs spending way above their means on wages
Clubs have tried hard over the last 6 years, the LOI standard has improved.
In the last year, income for clubs has dropped because of less money floating around,
less sponsorship, harder to raise cash through the usual means.

They are basically pissing against the wind, trying to attract a few thousand people off their tv induced zombie state of supporting football from the stool or sofa. 
Irish people are virtual fans when it comes to soccer, have not got a clue what real support or real rivalry means in club football.

orangeman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 27, 2009, 10:08:38 AM
Orangeman, sadly Derry are in great financial diffs atm, this will only be the tip of the iceberg.
The club have stark choices ahead, get rid of playing staff and cut wage bill or fold.

I know they're strapped for cash but Hutton was some servant for them.

There is going to be big shake up in Irish soccer in the next year or 2. The money isn't there nor is the interest.

I read a suggestion from Liam Coyle that Derry should return to the Irish League.

Any views ?

Leo

If ever proof was needed that Ireland is too small for professioanl sport it is the continuing farce of the LOI.
In the past few years there have been crises at
Dublin City (now defunct)
Shelborne
Cork City
Galway
Sligo
Drogheda
and now Derry City
All with populations that should have been able to sustain a club (but not spiralling player wages)

There are plenty of horror stories in the Irish League as well.

An all-island league where players are limited to strictly governed match-day expenses and clubs rediscoover their role in the community is the only sensible way to deal with this.
Fierce tame altogether

ONeill

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 27, 2009, 11:24:07 AM
I think you are thinking of Bohs O'Neill.

They sold Dalymount Pk for development with a promise of a new stadium out in the sticks. I think they got an upfront. Now there are legal issues cos one section of the ground wasn't theirs to sell. Developers want out of the deal seeing as the construction industry has gone tits up.

Dunno where this one will end!

No it was St Pat's ok. I thought they'd some investor with 6-figure cash injection mentioned.

deiseach

I note that Roy Coyle thinks that Derry should rejoin the Irish League - http://www.elevenaside.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=37425. While not questioning Coyle's sincerity, I would have thought Derry fans would sooner go out of existence than fraternise with the shower who treated them so shamefully back in the day. Am I wrong?

Edit: oops, wrong Coyle. Apologies to Roy

ONeill

Twas this (re St Pat's)

In early 2007 the club was purchased by wealthy property magnate Garrett Kelleher. After a number of months of negotiations, Kelleher finally announced himself as Chairman of St Patrick's Athletic on 19 July 2007. [1] One of his first acts on taking over St Pats was to appoint ex manager Brian Kerr as director of football. It was widely reported in Irish newspapers that Kelleher was preparing to spend €50 million on upgrading St. Pats' Richmond Park home.

orangeman

Quote from: deiseach on October 27, 2009, 12:15:56 PM
I note that Roy Coyle thinks that Derry should rejoin the Irish League - http://www.elevenaside.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=37425. While not questioning Coyle's sincerity, I would have thought Derry fans would sooner go out of existence than fraternise with the shower who treated them so shamefully back in the day. Am I wrong?

Seemingly yes.

Coyle backs Derry return to Irish League
Monday, 26 October 2009 17:25
Former Derry City striker Liam Coyle believes the club should return to the Irish League to ensure the club's survival.

The Candystripes are in serious financial difficulty and their players will reportedly be owed up to eight weeks' wages when the season ends.

Those players are now, essentially, free agents with the club unable to honour the terms of their contracts and the club's immediate future in the League of Ireland is uncertain.

However, the club's all-time top goalscorer sees a return to the Irish League, which they left in 1972, as the best solution to the club's current plight.

Speaking to the BBC, Coyle insisted: 'Moving to the Irish League is the only way forward for Derry City if they want to survive. They have to look at it as a way of maintaining their senior status.'

He added: 'If the Irish League was to take them back in it would mean less travelling. It makes sense to go back and play in the country they are in.

'There seems to be a bit of a stand-off between the board and players and at the minute it is a really divisive club.'