UC 2010: Aontroim vs Tír Eoghain 23rd May, Páirc Mhic Asmaint

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, October 22, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Bensars on May 24, 2010, 09:38:42 AM
I believe ( used to be the case anyway ) that the proceeds from  games in the north are liable for tax, however in the south it isnt the case ( may have changed since), hence the decision to have many games south of the border. But due to the large amount of investment in developing grounds some games now have to be played to justify such an investment.  After the first round games, there wont be too many games north of the border.  I would think that most attendances will be larger than the offical figures

VAT.

But the losses incurred at the Eglish roundabout a few years ago took care of that. On paper the Brit owe us money now !!!

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2010, 09:32:39 AM
It's caption time.

Away you'se go lads - brighten up a Monday morning for us.

BAKER :Is that that f--ker Fergal Doherty that I see on the far side ?

MICKEY : I can't see that far Baker, is he a friend of yours ?

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hereiam

[/quote]

Come with me ye boy ya till I give you six of the best

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2010, 01:24:33 AM
OverThePost, I have commented on Herron in every match I have seen this year, going back to Down in the McKenna Cup. About 7 matches, he got 1 thumbs up. This was coming. How this wasn't spotted is beyond me.

Well, then obviously I was wrong when I said "by all accounts"  :)

I posted it loads of fecking times!

Maybe that was it - maybe I unconsciously dismissed them as the ravings of an obsessed lunatic  ;D
I have only seen him against Louth and Fermanagh and thought he did OK. A good honest player who contributed more than Hasson and McKeever from last year combined. But I hear what you're saying and will bow to your wider experience and sufferance  ;)

And I'd give score of the day to CJ for his outside of the boot effort which curled right over the middle. A thing of beauty. Although Stevie O'Neill kicked a couple of 'impossibles'.

Indeed. Although it probably sums CJ up. A city "dandy" who will occasionally dazzle for a middle ranking county but wouldn't cut it at the top table. I was in line with his shot and he used the outside of the boot and wind perfectly. But, popping the ball over from 35m at that angle with no pressure should be bread and butter for any self respecting county forward (and it could and would have been successfully executed by any county forward worth his salt - albeit with less style, and probably with a right foot). The point is he missed at least two other "bread and butter" scores when he was in positions favourable to his favoured left foot.

I saw Stephen O'Neill out on his far 65 tackling several times. I saw CJ doing his slow motion, head-rolling-to-exaggerate-the-effort-I'm-making, "sprint" to chase a Tyrone defender breaking up the field and still lose ground several times  ::)

I also watched CJ pointing to where he wanted "his guys" to position themselves as he pursued a wayward pass over the sideline. If he had put more effort into sprinting instead of pointing he might have actually made the ball  ;D What a feckin poser  ::)

When Antrim were chasing the game towards the end and needed a goal he took the easy "glory" option of going for a point. The last one in particular with only minutes to go was a great chance spurned to his ego. If he had accelerated (does he do acceleration?) towards the goal he would have been through or fouled. Still at least his personal score tally will keep him and Brendan Crossan happy  ;)

A Quinn Martin Production

First off we were well beaten by a much better side.  While the difference was 4 points at the end and that flattered Antrim a bit, Tyrone got six points from two individual mistakes (Herron letting the ball through his hands and Brady losing the ball to Mulligan) and were given the two softest frees in Ulster Championship history ;) from the 14 yard line near the end.

From an Antrim point of view, the biggest weakness (and there were many) was losing the ball in the tackle and on manys the occasion fumbling the ball when there was no one near them.  We were a poor second in the physical battle.  The defence was all over the shop in the first half whereas Tyrone's defence was solid for the first 55 mins at least.

Antrim - Ratings (this is only my personal opinion and all these players are ten times the footballer I ever was.  No criticisms are personal and are based on what I saw yesterday and I haven't had time to watch the match back on telly.  Who cares what I think anyway...someone once said "Opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one and they almost all stink")

1.  John Finucane - Kick outs were OK but otherwise was glued to his goal line and poor under the dropping ball.

2.  Colin Brady - Was our most consistent performer last year but worryingly patchy again
3. Aaron Douglas - I thought he actually did OK.  He was on Stephen O'Neill FFS!!  The whole match was encapsulated by Tyrone's first point when Douglas did a textbook job on pushing O'Neill wide and covering the pass out but O'Neill just knocked it over from an angle of 1 degree.
4.  Kevin O'Boyle - Can hold his head up.  Decided, or was told, to let Penrose go and was on the ball alot with some good link up play.  Generally played quite well

5.  Tony Scullion - As they say on MOTD - 2 good (followed by) 2 bad.  Nice point from play but a curate's egg performance.
6.  Justin Crozier...is not an inter county half forward.  Made a good run in the second half an last year would have burst through and had a go at a score.  This year checked his run and looked to off load...summed up Antrim's lack of confidence.
7.  Sean Kelly - Usually oozes class but still seems to be off the pace

8.  Brendan Herron - Nul points
9.  Aodhan Gallaher - As always worked hard and is a good honest player

10.  Terry O'Neill - See Justin Crozier
11.  Kevon Niblock - Good performance.  Came more into the game as Ricey tired and after he was subbed.  Can will ball.  FF next day??
12.  James Loughrey - A very talented footballer but seems to be lacking in confidence??

13.  Paddy Cunningham - Good when the had the ball in hand but lost the physical battle
14. Mick McCann - Was a bit isolated at FF
15. Tomas McCann - Never in it.

22. Kevin Brady - A couple of nice touches.  Not really on long enough
24. CJ McGourty - Overall a good performace.  One cracking point and the point at the end I didn't think there was a goal on.  Had he gone for and missed it he probably would have got stick.
25. Gerard O'Boyle - Not really in it
29.  Kevin McGourty - I thought he was very good

P McEneaney - What's all this ballix about him favouring Antrim.  Tyrone got a point from a slide tackle by Dooher, Mulligan threw the ball to Hughes for the first goal.  As soon as a Tyrone player went into contact when tackling they grabbed the Antrim players arm and held on.  C Cavanagh and Jordan should both have been booked for the two biggest dives you'll see all year and a couple of saft frees to keep Tyrone 4 ahead

Plenty of questions for Antrim to answer for the next day, but they're a better team than they showed yesterday and lot of teams will want to avoid Antrim in the qualifiers (let's hope we can avoid Ulster teams).  Just my 2c worth
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

A Quinn Martin Production

It's caption time.

Antrim lose the physical battle on the sideline too
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

orangeman

Quote from: Orior on May 24, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
Was Nelson McCausland at the game?

Yes - he was watching it from the police helicopter that annoyingly hovered over the ground all day.   >:( ::) >:( >:(

omagh_gael

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2010, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: Orior on May 24, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
Was Nelson McCausland at the game?

Yes - he was watching it from the police helicopter that annoyingly hovered over the ground all day.   >:( ::) >:( >:(

There must be some fuel tank in that machine, it wouldn't piss off!

Doogie Browser

Sky plussed the BBC coverage and watched a bit last night, Sidebottom was commentating on the match like it was the grand national  :D

omagh_gael

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 24, 2010, 10:38:37 AM
Sky plussed the BBC coverage and watched a bit last night, Sidebottom was commentating on the match like it was the grand national  :D

Do they show the championship on iplayer?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 24, 2010, 10:40:56 AM

I would doubt it to be honest, the coverage ended abruptly yesterday and switched straight to the golf.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2010, 09:51:32 AM
It's caption time.

Baker to his Mother: The big bad man bullied me and my friends on the playground today.

mountainboii

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 24, 2010, 10:44:30 AM

I would doubt it to be honest, the coverage ended abruptly yesterday and switched straight to the golf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sld95/The_Championship_2010_Antrim_v_Tyrone/

Doogie Browser

of course they do, check out this link...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sld95/The_Championship_2010_Antrim_v_Tyrone/