UC 2010: Aontroim vs Tír Eoghain 23rd May, Páirc Mhic Asmaint

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, October 22, 2009, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2010, 09:07:10 AM
I see Mc Gourty back in the panel.  Is this a sign of Baker weakness or strength?  He seems to be happy enough to surround himself with egomaniacs.

Bit of a surprise right enough...on the plus side I've always said on his day and with his head right Kevin McGourty is one of the best footballers in Ulster, certainly worth his place in the team on talent alone.  He can cope with the physical side of the game, can take a score and has a great football brain (you can all tell by this stage ther's a "but" coming)...

BUT...

Has he enough time to get up to speed with inter county championship football after a couple of years not even playing a league game??

The question is, is Baker doing this simply because he wants the best players available to him. (Ans: Fair enough)..or
A few days before the biggest game of the season so far has he realised that what he has is not enough (Ans: Oh shit)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

rrhf

It sets the game up well now.  I was worried as to where Antrim were going to get their pre match media sound bites from - wasnt he the man who felt Tyrone last all ireland win was lucky? The Fianna Fail gig must have turned sour.  When you are 27 and the media aint listenin' you really have to go find a county team quickly.  In all seriousness good luck to him, and hope he sees some game time on Saturday.     

glens abu

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2010, 09:18:56 AM
It sets the game up well now.  I was worried as to where Antrim were going to get their pre match media sound bites from - wasnt he the man who felt Tyrone last all ireland win was lucky? The Fianna Fail gig must have turned sour.  When you are 27 and the media aint listenin' you really have to go find a county team quickly.  In all seriousness good luck to him, and hope he sees some game time on Saturday.     

What about Sunday do you think he should get a run out?

SambaSaffron

Awful decision. Any unity within the squad will be destroyed now.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Olly on May 18, 2010, 09:11:37 AM
This a wonderful development and the final piece in the jigsaw. Kevin's delightful aura will permeate any self doubt in the squad. This is like Canavan returning to Tyrone or Fitzgerald playing again for Derry. I can see him blitzing Cavanagh and keeping him on the back foot throughout the game. Mark my words, Harte will be a very worried man tonight.

Iwish !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2010, 09:07:10 AM
I see Mc Gourty back in the panel.  Is this a sign of Baker weakness or strength?  He seems to be happy enough to surround himself with egomaniacs.

Weakness, I'd say. Same with parachuting in 6 St Gall's players for the league final. Not that they (or Kevin) shouldn't feature in Antrim's plans. It's just that the haste of their inclusion showed a lack of faith in the panel he developed and relied on throughout the league. The fact that 5 of the 6 performed so poorly demonstrated that this "desperation" clouded his judgement over their physical and/or mental readiness for the match. I'm not questioning their (or Kevin's) undoubted ability, just the timing.

Baker doesn't do "man management". He might not even do rational thought by some accounts. That in itself has been such a shock to the Antrim psyche that it has woken the county out of its slumber. But I fear the honeymoon period is coming to an end...both for Antrim and Baker. Baker will be Derry manager next year...

maggie

Anyone seen the new Tyrone jersey yet?
Think it was unveiled last night.

SambaSaffron

Overthepostsawide, very good post. I echo your thoughts on all issues, from the 6 lads being brought pretty much straight back in to the team, to Baker's man-management being non-existent to your thought he'll be Derru manager next year.

Zapatista

Quote from: maggie on May 18, 2010, 12:23:33 PM
Anyone seen the new Tyrone jersey yet?
Think it was unveiled last night.

It's on this thread via a link somewhere and it's posted on the Tyrone club thread.

maggie

Thanks Zap, just checked it out.
Cue 'Tyrone on Target' headlines on Mon  :-\

omagh_gael

Quote from: maggie on May 18, 2010, 12:35:31 PM
Thanks Zap, just checked it out.
Cue 'Tyrone on Target' headlines on Mon  :-\

Hopefully not 'Harte Targets Back Door!'

Fuzzman

Gee folks it's hard to get ye to talk about the possible team for this game.
Is that cos it's so up in the air after such a strange NFL

Who will mark Cunningham?
Will Hub play as well on Casement as he did last year v Derry
How's gonna hit our frees or will we play roulette with Mugsy, Sean, Tommy and maybe even Sean O'Neill
Will SoN be double marked or a spare man in front of him.

Will we go on all out attack or will Antrim do what Tohill said last week that the so called lesser teams (Sorry Saffs)
Get 13 men behind the ball so we will see loads of hand passing (If done correctly) around the 40 yard yellow wall?
Actually maybe that's what their tactic will be. Force Tyrone into loads of handpassing so that they eventually get blown up for an illegal one

I hope its not a negative defensive game anyways as I'm sure we'll see enough of them this year.

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 18, 2010, 01:59:52 PM
Gee folks it's hard to get ye to talk about the possible team for this game.
Is that cos it's so up in the air after such a strange NFL

Who will mark Cunningham?
Will Hub play as well on Casement as he did last year v Derry
How's gonna hit our frees or will we play roulette with Mugsy, Sean, Tommy and maybe even Sean O'Neill
Will SoN be double marked or a spare man in front of him.

Will we go on all out attack or will Antrim do what Tohill said last week that the so called lesser teams (Sorry Saffs)
Get 13 men behind the ball so we will see loads of hand passing (If done correctly) around the 40 yard yellow wall?

Actually maybe that's what their tactic will be. Force Tyrone into loads of handpassing so that they eventually get blown up for an illegal one

I hope its not a negative defensive game anyways as I'm sure we'll see enough of them this year.

Sorry to say Fuzz you might be right.  I can't see Antrim posting a big score so the tactic will have to be to stop Tyrone scoring heavily :-\

Doogie Browser

Heatwave forecast this weekend, a bevy of Saffron beauties will be out in force.

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 18, 2010, 02:06:18 PM
Heatwave forecast this weekend, a bevy of Saffron beauties will be out in force.

Things have obviously changed since my day!! :P