Meath v Kildare Replay 1997

Started by Dinny Breen, October 21, 2009, 04:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: southsidejohnny on January 13, 2010, 06:49:15 PM
I am still amazed that Kildare managed to get three All Stars that year and all they did was blow a Leinster semi final. It must have been Mickos influence over the press. Didnt Dalton get the full back spot that year. After that I knew the All Stars were a media joke.

They beat Laois with thirteen men for an hour and went toe to toe with the reigning All-Ireland champions for three absorbing games. Both Nuxer and Glenn were thoroughly deserving of All-Stars that year.

Davy Dalton was immense in the Laois game and the first of the Meath series. I can't recall any other standout full-backs from that year. Were any of Barry O'Shea, Pat Holmes, Darren Fay, Cavan full-back, Offaly full-back, more deserving that year?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

southsidejohnny

Yes, Holmes or Fay were in a different league. God its even worse than I thought, ye only beat Laois and wound up with 3 All-Stars, what in the name of god were the selectors thinking about. Micko had the fear of the man above in them. If ye got to a Leinster final you lot would have got about ten on that basis.

Donnellys Hollow

Maurice Fitz took Pat Holmes for nine points in the All-Ireland Final. Obviously Maurice was majestic on the day but Holmes couldn't lay a hand on him. Kenneth Mortimer might have limited the damage somewhat. Darren Fay played well in the second and third Kildare games but Martin Lynch took him to the cleaners in the first game and Roy Malone (if my memory is correct) was MOTM against him in the Leinster Final.

I don't see how Micko had any influence on the selectors. Was he going to bar them from the hotel in Waterville if they didn't pick Davy, Glenn and Buckley? Them three players were excellent in Kildare's four matches that year (exactly the same number of games played by Kerry to win the All-Ireland - Tipp, Clare, Cavan & Mayo).

Hardy

Your memory is a little off DH. Darren was suspended for the Leinster Final. Enda McManus took his place and did get a torrid time from Roy Malone. It wasn't entirely his fault, though, because huge gaps throughout the defence, occasioned by John Bannon's festival of card-waving in the second semi-final replay, provided Roy and the other Offaly forwards with an embarrassment of possession and options.

Ironically, given your observation about Martin Lynch vs. Darren Fay, the reason Darren was suspended was because he was red carded when Martin decided to lie down off the ball for no good reason. Bannon decided, without seeing the incident and without consultation, that this was reason enough for a red card for DF. Martin wouldn't be the most popular of players among Meath people.

I wouldn't quibble with Davy's All-Star, though. Also, I'm not sure whether the rule still applied then that a sending off disqualified you from an All-Star.

AZOffaly

Quotethe reason Darren was suspended was because he was red carded when Martin decided to lie down off the ball for no good reason.

Surely you jest?

Hardy

:)  I jest not. It was completely out of character for ML, of course.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on January 14, 2010, 09:15:25 PM
Your memory is a little off DH. Darren was suspended for the Leinster Final. Enda McManus took his place and did get a torrid time from Roy Malone. It wasn't entirely his fault, though, because huge gaps throughout the defence, occasioned by John Bannon's festival of card-waving in the second semi-final replay, provided Roy and the other Offaly forwards with an embarrassment of possession and options.

Ironically, given your observation about Martin Lynch vs. Darren Fay, the reason Darren was suspended was because he was red carded when Martin decided to lie down off the ball for no good reason. Bannon decided, without seeing the incident and without consultation, that this was reason enough for a red card for DF. Martin wouldn't be the most popular of players among Meath people.

I wouldn't quibble with Davy's All-Star, though. Also, I'm not sure whether the rule still applied then that a sending off disqualified you from an All-Star.

I was probably suffering from sunstroke standing on the Hill for two hours for the first replay Hardy - no wonder the memory was a bit off!

A sending-off must not have disqualified you from an All-Star because Davy Dalton himself was sent-off in the second replay as well! He collided with Brendan Reilly who was left injured on the ground. Davy called the ref's attention to Reilly so he could be treated and he went and sent Davy off! Brian Murphy and Mark O'Reilly were also sent-off in that match I think.

Also, Martin Lynch........Dive?.........Never!  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 14, 2010, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 14, 2010, 09:15:25 PM

I was probably suffering from sunstroke standing on the Hill for two hours for the first replay Hardy - no wonder the memory was a bit off!

A sending-off must not have disqualified you from an All-Star because Davy Dalton himself was sent-off in the second replay as well! He collided with Brendan Reilly who was left injured on the ground. Davy called the ref's attention to Reilly so he could be treated and he went and sent Davy off! Brian Murphy and Mark O'Reilly were also sent-off in that match I think.

Also, Martin Lynch........Dive?.........Never!  ;)

That's right, of course. And yes - a ridiculous sending off as well.

Bannon's passion for card-waving was infuriating. Just to complete the tally for that day, he sent Geraghty off as well. What a ridiculous statistic - five sent off in a game remarkable for the honesty of the exchanges.

Donnellys Hollow

Geraghty was banned from the first replay. Turns out the ref in the second replay was the same O'Toole fellow who got cramp in the first replay! Bannon did send Brendan Reilly off the following year in the Leinster Final.

Pity we didn't have the DRA or the CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC back then.

Hardy

Don't remember that about GG being banned from the second game. But I'm sure I remember him being sent off in the third game and the three of them missing from the final or else I'm losing it.

Donnellys Hollow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3xhv4Oeu0&feature=related

He's very harshly sent-off at around the 4:50 mark in this video. The ban must have taken in both the second replay and the Leinster Final. Not surprising considering the date of the second replay was the 3 August according to them Sportsfile photos. The Leinster Final must have been the following weekend.

Plain of the Herbs

The Leinster final was on Saturday the 16th.
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 14, 2010, 10:36:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3xhv4Oeu0&feature=related

He's very harshly sent-off at around the 4:50 mark in this video. The ban must have taken in both the second replay and the Leinster Final. Not surprising considering the date of the second replay was the 3 August according to them Sportsfile photos. The Leinster Final must have been the following weekend.

Hardy

That's a lesson for me, DH. I would have put any money on my version of it. Obviously I mixed up the fact that three of them were missing for the final with the false memory that they were all sent off in the one game.

turk

This was a great match. Some great stuff in Leinster back then. Bring back straight knockout

LilySavage

Quote from: southsidejohnny on January 14, 2010, 07:13:17 PM
Yes, Holmes or Fay were in a different league. God its even worse than I thought, ye only beat Laois and wound up with 3 All-Stars, what in the name of god were the selectors thinking about. Micko had the fear of the man above in them. If ye got to a Leinster final you lot would have got about ten on that basis.

Davy Dalton was an awesome full back u clown