Inter-Provincial championship

Started by Ti Chulainn, October 20, 2009, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 26, 2009, 08:46:52 PM
What's this sell by date you speak of Indiana?
If you buy two litres of milk and leave it sitting out beside the fireplace it won't be long going off.
there was 300 at the connacht v munster game. There are thousands who go to the club finals.
Everything has been tried with the inter provincials but the average fan doesn't identify with their province they identify with their club and county and thats it. So its pointless trying to re-vitalise something the public doesn't want.

ExiledGael

Munster GAA fans aren't noted for their strength in numbers at any event.
There were at least 2000 in Crossmaglen on probably the worst day I can ever remember for a football match. It's not a massive turn out but I do believe the interest is there, if only for the sheer quality of players on view.
Kernan's passion for the series and a sensible venue probably helped.
Plus we all know that a student one month into a marketing degree could come up with a superior PR programme to that which the GAA have provided for the past 15 years.

Rossfan

If this oul thing is to be maintained then let's have it played at one location over the October Bank holiday weekend and also hold the All Star awards and the Draws for the Championships in the same location the same weekend.
Make it a kind of end of year GAA festival and rotate it around the Counties.
It still wont get crowds as the public are not interested but at least all the GAA top brass will have to attend anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: INDIANA on October 26, 2009, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 26, 2009, 08:40:00 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 25, 2009, 11:13:09 AM
Hopefully tg4 show the final live. When you look how strong the ulster team was yesterday I still think there could be life left in this competition if managed right. Best solution I've heard is to play the football final on St Paddys day in Croke Park along with the club football, have the hurling in Thurles with the club hurling. Most people are of work that day already and with the correct marketing could turn into a huge day for the gaa, there would surely be some potential to get tourists to come if done right.

As mentioned the finals would be played along with the club finals. If anything this would help to promote the club finals with potentially more people watching them. The football finals could be in Croke Park and the hurling finals in Thurles. At the minute only around 30,000 attend the club finals, considering the amount of people out and about on St Patricks day surely with the correct event the gaa could hope to at least double this. Would be great to have the very best players playing on St Patricks day when so many tourists are in town.
Does anyone know if tg4 will cover the final live? I see Joe Kernan favours a St Patricks day final along with the club final. Anyone think this could work? I think it may be the only chance of saving the competition and could potentially showcase the gaa further on one of the biggest days in the calender.

I don;t agree the county players get enough days out without taking the club out of the equation. Both club finals should be played on the same day in Croke park. Why change something that is a massive success for something thats past its sell by date.

mountainboii

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 26, 2009, 09:30:50 PM
There were at least 2000 in Crossmaglen on probably the worst day I can ever remember for a football match. It's not a massive turn out but I do believe the interest is there, if only for the sheer quality of players on view.
Plus we all know that a student one month into a marketing degree could come up with a superior PR programme to that which the GAA have provided for the past 15 years.

Thats being a bit generous, 1200-1500 tops by my reckoning. The stand was full but there was only a sprinkling of people elsewhere.

I wouldn't automatically equate attendence this weekend to sustained interest. I found it difficult to really care who won. Didn't feel the urge to shout at the shite ref or cheer any scores, which is par for the course with me at Armagh or club games. Even though there was some good football on show, especially considering the weather, I don't think I'd be fussed travelling anymore than 20-30 minutes up the road to go to any future games. It just doesn't matter enough to me  :-\

Celt_Man

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 26, 2009, 09:30:50 PM

Aye very true... O think it should continue no matter what the attendance levels are because in fairness the players seem to want to play it so let them at.  Joe Sheridan playing for Leinster 8 days before a county final shows that the players are behind it.

Personally I think it's a great competition and I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's match, it was very competitive - right from the start with Billy Sheenan being true to form and acting the gobshite inside 60 seconds.  On another note, it's funny cheering on fookers you can't stand playing on the opposite team, like McKeever - jaysus he is a pest!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

johnpower

I see another easy Munster  victory .Lots of anlysis afterwards  just to keep the posters happy (Indie :-[)

marym

Ulster won by 4 points. Heard one of the Ulster players suffered a serious injury. Not sure who.

marym

Ciaran McEveer. Taken away by ambulance.

the colonel

Just left ruislip. Mckeever hurt his ankle but its not broken, he was back a couple of hours later to join the teams at the post match meal. He was on crutches but i would say he will be ok. Match was quite good and ulster just had more quality with a strong squad
the difference between success and failure is energy

gaagaa

what was the ulster team and subs?

timmyot501

Ulster :
J Devine
K Lacey
Justin McMahon
G O'Kane
A Kernan
C McKeever
R Flanagan
K Hughes
E McGinley
P Finlay
B Coulter
Joe McMahon
P Bradley
S O'Neill
M Murphy
Substitutes Used:
C Gormley for McKeever
R McCluskey for Lacey
D Hughes for Joe Mcmahon
D Gordon for Murphy
T Freeman for K Hughes

Munster :
P Fitzgerald
T O'Gorman
J McCarthy
P Reidy
M O'Gorman
M Shields
P Ranahan
N Murphy
P O'Neill
D O'Connor
P Kelly
G Hurney
P Kerrigan
D Goulding
L O Lionnain.
Substitutes Used:
R Costigan for O'Gorman
J Ryan for McCarthy
S Scanlon for O'Neill
A Walsh for O Lionnain

Fear ón Srath Bán

And a report from the Irish News:

Munster denied by Ulster late show

M Donnelly Inter-provincial Football Championship final: Ulster 0-15 Munster 1-8
From Tony Tighe at Ruislip

There was late drama at Ruislip yesterday, where Ulster produced a stunning late salvo to clinch a record 29th interprovincial crown.

The northerners had deservedly led at the break, but were rocked when Gary Hurney netted three minutes into the second half.

And when Munster took the lead for the first time on 48 minutes they looked on course to successfully retain their title. But Ulster dug deep, firing five unanswered points in the last eight minutes to clinch a thrilling victory.

Ulster's deadly trio of Paddy Bradley, Stephen O'Neill and Michael Murphy were all off the mark inside the opening quarter, and with Kevin Hughes dominating around the middle third a comprehensive victory looked on for the Ulstermen.

A long-range score from Paul Finlay extended Ulster's lead to three points, but the game was then held up with a nasty ankle injury to Ciaran McKeever, who had to be taken off the pitch by ambulance. The early prognosis is that the Armagh ace has suffered heavy bruising but no broken bones.

When the game resumed Ulster continued to control proceedings, and two late scores from the tireless Kevin Hughes saw them lead 0-8 to 0-4 at the break. That lead would be short-lived however, as within minutes of the restart Munster were back on level terms.

Hurney looked to be going nowhere when he picked the ball to the right of goal, but he somehow managed to escape his marker's clutches and drilled a fine low shot across Joe Devine.

Points from superb substitute James Ryan and Goulding put Munster in front for the first time on 48 minutes.

But Ulster mounted a stunning late salvo. The introduction of Down duo Danny Hughes and namesake Gordon proved to be an inspired one by manager Joe Kernan, as they provided Ulster with a platform from which to mount their comeback.

Enda McGinley kick-started the late charge with a fisted point, quickly followed by Gerard O'Kane's second score of the day.Then Hughes and Gordon took over, kicking three points between them to see Ulster over the finish line.

The talk surrounding this game was whether the victors would be given an opportunity to defend their title, but Martin Donnelly confirmed afterwards that he would continue sponsoring the competition.

"It's early November, a cold day, but I was delighted with the crowd, the whole day was tremendous," he said.

"It showed that there is a future, whether it be this side of the water or abroad for the final.

"With the intensity the players showed, you can't say there's a lack of interest in the competition. And that's what it's all about, it's really about players wanting to compete for their province."

Ulster manager Joe Kernan cut a delighted figure at the final whistle after his side's late heroics saw them enter the record books. "We're really pleased with the win. It was a very competitive game and that's the way it should be," he said.

"We worked very hard over the past few weeks and I think you could see that at the end, where we showed our true qualities."

Those views were echoed by his son Aaron, who scooped the man of the match award."It was an honour to be involved with this Ulster team," he said. "This is my first year playing in both semi-final and final and it's something that I'll treasure.

"There is a great buzz about this competition, and the quality of football you see is unreal.

"In Ulster we took this competition very seriously. All you had to do was look at the boys at the final whistle to see what it meant to them."

MATCH STATS

Ulster: J Devine; K Lacey, Justin McMahon, G O'Kane (0-2); A Kernan, C McKeever, R Flanagan; K Hughes (0-2), E McGinley (0-1); P Finlay (0-1), B Coulter, Joe McMahon; P Bradley (0-3 1f), S O'Neill (0-1), M Murphy (0-1f).

Subs: C Gormley (0-1) for McKeever (28); R McCloskey for Lacey (ht); D Hughes (0-2) for Joe McMahon (41); D Gordon for Murphy (43); T Freeman for Hughes (52).

Munster:
P Fitzgerald; T O'Gorman, J McCarthy, P Reidy; M O'Gorman, M Shields; P Ranahan; N Murphy (0-1), P O'Neill; P Kelly, D O'Connor (0-2f), P Kerrigan; G Hurney (1-0), D Goulding (0-4 1f), L O'Lionnain.

Subs: R Costigan for M O'Gorman (ht); J Ryan (0-1) for Kerrigan (ht); S Scanlon for O'Neill (56); A Walsh for O'Lionnain (59)

Referee: D Fahy (Longford).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rma13

Joining this discussion a wee bit late in the day but I have to say I love the inter provincial matches.  I went to Cross for the semi & cheered on just as loudly as I would do for my county, I would have attended the final if it had been here.  The players who take part in these matches give their all to it which I think is great to see, I would just like to see it promoted properly to get the recognition it deserves.  Anyhow, Congratulations to Big Joe & the Ulster panel, always nice to get a win, just hope Ciaran McKeever's injury isn't too serious  :(

imtommygunn

That munster team is wrong. Alan O'Connor was in midfield. His partner was also not from Cork. Not sure where he was from though.