Donal Og's Book

Started by passedit, October 18, 2009, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 11:37:23 PM
Quote from: The GAA on October 25, 2009, 03:39:55 PM
Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 12:33:27 PM
Strangely enough indeed Reillers and I've just watched the interview on the net. Obviously his sexuality was highlighted and nothing wrong with this or to use this as a selling point for the book but I'd say in the GAA world more people would be interested in what he has to say in relation to his disputes in Cork and his involvement in the GPA. Many might already have their minds made up as there's already a lot of information out there but it will be interesting to see if he acknowledges anything which previously he hasn't and what general spin he puts on everything. Let's be honest he didn't come accross as a b**tard on the Late Late but it was a book promotion and I'd say RTE were restricted to what matters they could raise although I'd like to hear Gerald's take on what Donal said he said. The reading of the book on these type of matters should tell us more about his honesty and integrity. When you think about it, it seems the only player to come into direct conflict with Gerald was Donal óg so you have to wonder if he was the chief instigator in all the disputes and if he'll throw any light on that. But you also have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that Donal was saying the Cork disputes and the GPA weren't looking pay for play but at the same time him and Dessie were doing a feasibility study on that very prospect.

So you're saying that the cork dispute was about pay for play, even though the feasability study you refer to in linking the two was done many years before?

Actually I'm saying what Donal óg said, that the disputes and the GPA weren't about 'pay for play'. Gerald McCarthy seemed to think there was a link with the strike and the 'pay' thing so now that Donal óg has acknowledged the GPA would like money for playing, and that's been their private position for some time, perhaps Gerald's  'fears' should be given more credence.

As for yourself Reillers fair enough, I think we can all agree that Gardiner and Donal were very close during all this. But when you read back to the dispute, Donal and Gerald had issues over the puck outs, but where were all the other personal issues or were there none?

Did you not just read what I posted..
It wasn't just, and it really frustrates me when the likes of you do it, put all the blame on Donal Og, saying that he was key behind the strike, that he led them, like the others didn't have a big say in it, I mean Joe Deane was as involved as Donal Og but it'll be DOC who gets all the blame all the time, despite the facts that are right there in front of you. It's unfair, and it's a good part of why the players have such respect for him.

dowling

Reillers are you Donal óg?
Gerald and Donal clashed over the puck outs.
Who else did Gerald clash with over their actual play on the field?

If it came out during the strike I missed it.

"Actual play on the field", for Cork that is.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on October 26, 2009, 12:12:54 AM

They did argue abou tpuck outs once, but that's got nothing to do wtih the rest of what you're saying.
You said Gardiner and Donal Og were pretty close in running the strike.
You can't seem to grasp/admit that the likes of Joe Deane has as much to do in the strike as the likes of Donal Og, but unfairly people like you leave all the blame on his shoulders.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2009, 12:21:13 AM

They did argue abou tpuck outs once, but that's got nothing to do wtih the rest of what you're saying.
You can't seem to grasp/admit that the likes of Joe Deane has as much to do in the strike as the likes of Donal Og, but unfairly people like you leave all the blame on his shoulders.

No I didn't say that but thanks for clarifying who ran the strike.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on October 26, 2009, 12:29:15 AM
Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2009, 12:21:13 AM

No I didn't say that but thanks for clarifying who ran the strike.
Stop trying to be so feckin smart, it's pretty much what you say all the time.
You blame Donal Og for absolutely everything, and it's unfair.

dowling

Reillers I don't understand why you keep going off like that. Of course Donal was a leading figure in the strike, we all know that, I'm wonder how much light the book will throw on the strike and events during it. From your quote he would seem to be trying to play down his role. Is that fair? I don't know but I would be inclined to take that with a pinch of salt.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 11:37:23 PM
Actually I'm saying what Donal óg said, that the disputes and the GPA weren't about 'pay for play'. Gerald McCarthy seemed to think there was a link with the strike and the 'pay' thing so now that Donal óg has acknowledged the GPA would like money for playing, and that's been their private position for some time, perhaps Gerald's  'fears' should be given more credence.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to post up that link / quote?

dowling

What are you on about GAA?

cornafean

Quote from: Reillers on October 25, 2009, 10:44:49 AM
Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 10:23:32 AM
Was there no insight into the strike during the interview?

No, strangely enough, while it still remains an obsession for some, like yourself, they had other things to talk about.

Time to change your avatar so.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

dowling

Quote from: cornafean on October 26, 2009, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: Reillers on October 25, 2009, 10:44:49 AM
Quote from: dowling on October 25, 2009, 10:23:32 AM
Was there no insight into the strike during the interview?

No, strangely enough, while it still remains an obsession for some, like yourself, they had other things to talk about.

Time to change your avatar so.

;)

gallsman

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 25, 2009, 11:49:11 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 24, 2009, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 24, 2009, 02:44:40 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 24, 2009, 11:57:47 AM
Quote from: Reillers on October 24, 2009, 09:22:29 AM
It was a great interview, and fair dues to him. He's earned a lot of haters respect tonight and that's blatantly clear. I've said it before that this lad is made of steel but tonight he just showed how much so.

He's a tough, tough man.  I haven't seen a better performance in a TV interview for a very long time, even though it was clear that Turbridy hadn't much of a clue about the hurling side of it.
It gave a good insight into why he's been such a leader for Cork in the past, and will continue to be. Very proud of him tonight.

It was a very powerful performance and it was clear all right that he was nervous at the start, but he settled into it very well and came across brilliantly. The best I've seen him in an interview that I can recall. Fantastic stuff.

The courage he showed, and his blunt honesty was fantastic.

But at the end of all of that, and despite all that, you just know that he'll get hell next season on and off the pitch....
There'll be some mighty abuse thrown at him. And he can take it, he's a strong character clearly, I just hope that ther'll be people in the stands who will shut the minority up.

Never been so proud of the lad. Showed great guts tonight.

Certainly didn't earn my respect. The audience seemed determined to cheer any suggestion of Donal Og's dad been put in his place. First GAA star I've heard yet being able to regale us with his one night stand exploits... but it is politically incorrect to complain lest you be accused of homophobia. Then a wee story about his cheating. Does it not cross his mind he was booed because he is an obnoxious, self obsessed bollox?... doing GAA -GAY interviews now for Channel 4 and Daily  Mail...media whure.  You're proud of him Reileers? God help you and the rest of Cork if that is your hero. He gives me the creeps.         

Yeah he should have kept quiet about changing the balls.  If any other hurler was on the Late Late Show or if being gay wasn't the topic of the day then there would have been a lot more made of this.  But it will be ignored now.

I would also rather if he didn't get into the nitty gritty about his exploits with other men.  Don't want to be hearing that.

That said it took guts to go on TV.  He will probably suffer loads of abuse now, which is awful but then many other players have to put up with that as well.

Then don't listen.

Strange, unlike you I cant read the future so didn't know he was going to mention it or talk in such detail about his sexual exploits.  ::)

Wow, the previous post you mention that the sole reason he was there was because he had come out. Then you're surprised to hear him mention about having been with men. Detail? Please elaborate on how what he said qualifies as going into "detail"?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: gallsman on October 26, 2009, 12:47:38 PM
It was a great interview, and fair dues to him. He's earned a lot of haters respect tonight and that's blatantly clear. I've said it before that this lad is made of steel but tonight he just showed how much so.

He's a tough, tough man.  I haven't seen a better performance in a TV interview for a very long time, even though it was clear that Turbridy hadn't much of a clue about the hurling side of it.
It gave a good insight into why he's been such a leader for Cork in the past, and will continue to be. Very proud of him tonight.

It was a very powerful performance and it was clear all right that he was nervous at the start, but he settled into it very well and came across brilliantly. The best I've seen him in an interview that I can recall. Fantastic stuff.

But at the end of all of that, and despite all that, you just know that he'll get hell next season on and off the pitch....
There'll be some mighty abuse thrown at him. And he can take it, he's a strong character clearly, I just hope that ther'll be people in the stands who will shut the minority up.

Certainly didn't earn my respect. The audience seemed determined to cheer any suggestion of Donal Og's dad been put in his place. First GAA star I've heard yet being able to regale us with his one night stand exploits... but it is politically incorrect to complain lest you be accused of homophobia. Then a wee story about his cheating. Does it not cross his mind he was booed because he is an obnoxious, self obsessed bollox?... doing GAA -GAY interviews now for Channel 4 and Daily  Mail...media whure.  You're proud of him Reileers? God help you and the rest of Cork if that is your hero. He gives me the creeps.         

Yeah he should have kept quiet about changing the balls.  If any other hurler was on the Late Late Show or if being gay wasn't the topic of the day then there would have been a lot more made of this.  But it will be ignored now.

I would also rather if he didn't get into the nitty gritty about his exploits with other men.  Don't want to be hearing that.

That said it took guts to go on TV.  He will probably suffer loads of abuse now, which is awful but then many other players have to put up with that as well.

Then don't listen.

Strange, unlike you I cant read the future so didn't know he was going to mention it or talk in such detail about his sexual exploits.  ::)

Wow, the previous post you mention that the sole reason he was there was because he had come out. Then you're surprised to hear him mention about having been with men. Detail? Please elaborate on how what he said qualifies as going into "detail"?

Did I say I was surprised to her him mention having being with other men?  As I said he was on the show because he came out as gay.  The detail might have been him talking about out in Ho Chi Minh city getting away from his team mates and waking up the next morning beside a stranger well outside the city and not knowing where he was.  What possessed you to reply to my post in the first place, what angered you so much that you thought you needed to make a one sentence reply even though you didn't really having anything constructive to say?

gallsman

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 26, 2009, 02:59:42 PM

Then don't listen.

Did I say I was surprised to her him mention having being with other men?  As I said he was on the show because he came out as gay.  The detail might have been him talking about out in Ho Chi Minh city getting away from his team mates and waking up the next morning beside a stranger well outside the city and not knowing where he was.  What possessed you to reply to my post in the first place, what angered you so much that you thought you needed to make a one sentence reply even though you didn't really having anything constructive to say?

No, but what you did say was that you didn't want to hear about it and when I suggested that you simply didn't listen you gave a response that suggested you weren't expecting to hear such things. Something unexpected and a surprise really are kind of the same thing now, aren't they?

Wow, he was on a trip and slept with a stranger. That's really explicit, isn't it?

What made me reply to you in the first place? I'd say you know fine well. If the story wasn't about his being gay, but rather his cheating on a hypothetical female partner, deciding to come clean mentioning that he slept with a random female, would that amount of "detail" offend you as well? I didn't realise that I was obligated to say anything "constructive" whatsoever. As far as I understand it, this is a discussion board, where people will air their views, and in doing so expect to have them challenged by someone who disagrees with them.

Let's cut to the chase here. Why don't you just come out and admit that you have no problem with gays as long as you don't have to be exposed to their actions in any way, shape or form, because that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: gallsman on October 26, 2009, 03:16:09 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on October 26, 2009, 02:59:42 PM

Then don't listen.

No, but what you did say was that you didn't want to hear about it and when I suggested that you simply didn't listen you gave a response that suggested you weren't expecting to hear such things. Something unexpected and a surprise really are kind of the same thing now, aren't they?

Wow, he was on a trip and slept with a stranger. That's really explicit, isn't it?

What made me reply to you in the first place? I'd say you know fine well. If the story wasn't about his being gay, but rather his cheating on a hypothetical female partner, deciding to come clean mentioning that he slept with a random female, would that amount of "detail" offend you as well? I didn't realise that I was obligated to say anything "constructive" whatsoever. As far as I understand it, this is a discussion board, where people will air their views, and in doing so expect to have them challenged by someone who disagrees with them.

Let's cut to the chase here. Why don't you just come out and admit that you have no problem with gays as long as you don't have to be exposed to their actions in any way, shape or form, because that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Ah I was waiting for you to say this.  Just as I thought.  You took offense because you thought I didn't want to hear such details because he was gay.  If you read any of my posts on this subject you would see I don't have a problem with his sexuality.  But there is always one isn't there that has to look for offense where none was intended.  You don't know me.  I would say the same if someone came on TV and start talking about all the women he slept with and getting into detail about it.  But you had to ASSUME that I only held this opinion because he was gay, and if he came on TV and it was a girl in place of a man that he woke up beside not having a clue where he was that I wouldn't think it was just as bad.  Don't be making assumptions here.

theskull1

There are hateful self interested hetrosexuals and hateful self interested homosexuals. The fact that Donal Og is homosexual doesn't change the way alot of people think of him i.e. hateful & self interested.

I do think though that those who do consider him a hateful self interested individual will be labelled homophobic by his adoring fans, so coming out will actually provide him with a layer of protection from the real reasons why people can't abide him and what he stands for.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera