All Stars being picked now

Started by Any craic, October 15, 2009, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade so I'm not going to say who I think are undeserving here. There are one or two, but overall it's a fair reflection of those who deserve to be honoured.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

gerry

can't say i agree with SON and Tadhg getting one, as it has being said on here before it's all about the last few games that seem to count
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on October 16, 2009, 11:27:07 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 16, 2009, 11:07:42 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade so I'm not going to say who I think are undeserving here. There are one or two, but overall it's a fair reflection of those who deserve to be honoured.
Too diplomatic for my liking. Go on ahead, you know you want to. Here, have this:

That's better thanks, I'm ready to fully cast aspersions on those ill-deserving b**tards,... hic!... hic!. Now as I was saying... hic!

What were we on about?... hic!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 16, 2009, 07:44:09 PM
Not too sure about Karl Lacey winning an all start??  Don't think he was much use against Cork and Antrim (along with the rest of his team mates) in fairness he had a super game against Galway but does one swallow make a summer???

Lacey was excellent against Cork! Goulding didn't score until the last ten minutes, after Cork players had been streaming through all over the place for the entire game. The only players who showed up that day for Donegal were Lacey and Murphy, and to a lesser extent, Neil McGee. Lacey played the Antrim game two weeks after arriving back from a winter and spring down under, so he was never going to be at his best. Was superb from then on though. You seem to have forgotten Paddy Bradley's comeback to earth after the Monaghan game!

Fair play to him, and only the second Donegal man to win two All Stars (fourth All Star for Four Masters as well, the b**tards!  :P). Won both of his in years when Donegal went out to Cork in the quarter final as well, which is some achievement, given that the preponderance of awards always go to the two finalists.

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on October 16, 2009, 07:01:03 PM
MICHAEL MURPHY'S  omission is  a disgrace

I would say had he not been up for and won the young player award, he would have got the All Star. Didn't that happen with Keith Higgins a few years back as well?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on October 16, 2009, 09:20:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 16, 2009, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 16, 2009, 08:27:14 PM
Well done to Dermot Earley on his second award. Doubt there's many out there with All-Stars 11 years apart.

Or with a father and uncle all stars too  ;)

No one from Connacht of course as usual.
Connacht is a bad or worse than Leinster .

Were there only 2 Connacht Nominations .. Conor Mortimer from Co Mayo and Andy Moran from Co Roscommon?

Johnny Davey our wing back got a Nomination. David Kelly should of got Nomination aswell. A joke.

The Allstars for me have no credilibilty, I think its a joke Lacey got one. Some of the perceptions and spin created out there mind boggle me. I would say being ahead by 10pts might make Goulding put in less effort, sure no need to push himself, others taking scores etc.... The performance against Galway is non runner for me, Galway were 6 days after losing a Connacht final in the last minute....then you have the fair enough excuse for Antrim game and what else did he do. Oh ya if look back at Bradleys history he is grossly inconsistent IMO. It usually takes fierce criticism from the Derry supporters to spring him into action.

When McNamara got a nomination in 07 they lost creditiblity for me. Lucky to be even starting for Sligo even then but had a good Connacht final. Thats about it the last 4yrs, cant criticise his timing though but have to call a spade a spade.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Zapatista

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 16, 2009, 10:31:11 PM

Is it time to call a halt to the rubbish that is the allstars? 

Yes. It's just about dragging it out. It's over folks. Kerry won.

brokencrossbar1

It amazes me how over the top people go on about awards like this.  They are just people's opinions and posters want them scrapped.  Why?  What harm is it doing to anyone having an awards ceremony?  they have them in all different kinds of sports for team of the year etc etc, it's not like the winners are being given a key to a room full of untold riches!  they get a wee trophy and a jolly off to Japan or somewhere like that and fair fcuks is what i say.  What harm is being caused?  Why do people feel the need to scrap, ban, bin or whatever word they wish to use something that they don't agree with without any real logical reason?  They people who the award relates to are happy with them.  I doubt they are sitting losing sleep if they don't get one(unless they're from Derry maybe :P)  but they appreciate the recognition of their efforts.  They are subjective and they are tilted towards they players who make the last 4 or last 8 but lets face it, normally they are the best players in the country in any given year. 

This scrap it mentality is indicative of a wasteful attitude among people in general, if I don't like it I'll bin it and get a bigger, better, faster one and that applies to things they buy and people they meet!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 17, 2009, 09:09:04 AM
It amazes me how over the top people go on about awards like this.  They are just people's opinions and posters want them scrapped.  Why?  What harm is it doing to anyone having an awards ceremony?  they have them in all different kinds of sports for team of the year etc etc, it's not like the winners are being given a key to a room full of untold riches!  they get a wee trophy and a jolly off to Japan or somewhere like that and fair fcuks is what i say.  What harm is being caused?  Why do people feel the need to scrap, ban, bin or whatever word they wish to use something that they don't agree with without any real logical reason?  They people who the award relates to are happy with them.  I doubt they are sitting losing sleep if they don't get one(unless they're from Derry maybe :P)  but they appreciate the recognition of their efforts.  They are subjective and they are tilted towards they players who make the last 4 or last 8 but lets face it, normally they are the best players in the country in any given year. 

This scrap it mentality is indicative of a wasteful attitude among people in general, if I don't like it I'll bin it and get a bigger, better, faster one and that applies to things they buy and people they meet!

OTT reaction there yourself, some generalizations. ::), what harm is if people want them scrapped, they should have bigger trophies for it anyhow... :D

Im not in that camp as I would want them to exist but really some selections arent credible IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ONeill

I doubt they are sitting losing sleep if they don't get one(unless they're from Derry maybe :P

Or Ardboe.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Sligonian Lacey was brilliant all year. You say it's a joke he got one. How many games did you watch this year?

Paddy Bradley isn't inconsistent - 1 on 1 he'll burn almost anyone. Play a system on him and he's considerably less effective. Lacey's job against Meehan, Bradley, and Goulding merited him an all star. Goulding was ineffective - from start fo finish - against him and got an all star. Lacey also wasn't terrible against Antim - he wasn't spectacular but Cunningham didn't do much on him. 1 from play maybe.

Also you probably have slightly tainted glasses with regard to David Kelly...

The all stars make bad decisions all the time but you're castigating them for the right one!

INDIANA

Its the complete inequities of the system. If you don't get to the last 4 you'll struggle to get one. There is no recognition for lads like Leighton Glynn, Paddy Cunningham, the limerick forward who's name escapes me. Can some of those who won them honestly say they had better seasons than than the ones above? I don't think so. There is no perfect system but there has to be a better one than the current one.

Drumanee 1

for the life of me i can not understand how stepen o'neill got a all star,outstanding in the first league game of the year and a couple of decent performaces in the championship,thats it!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: INDIANA on October 17, 2009, 11:46:36 AM

Its the complete inequities of the system. If you don't get to the last 4 you'll struggle to get one. There is no recognition for lads like Leighton Glynn, Paddy Cunningham, the limerick forward who's name escapes me. Can some of those who won them honestly say they had better seasons than than the ones above? I don't think so. There is no perfect system but there has to be a better one than the current one.

Paddy Cunningham had a great Ulster Final but James Loughrey and Colin Brady were Antrim's best players through the Championship and both deserved nominations.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

imtommygunn

Talking of Limerick John Galvin is a man who's long overdue an allstar.