Favourite Command Line functions

Started by Orior, October 14, 2009, 11:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: stephenite on October 15, 2009, 05:55:44 AM

net send

does that still work.

A colleague of mine put the shits up me with that feckin command. Is it the one which opens up a dialogue window on whoever's PC you send the message to?

Shamrock Shore

Most folk over 25-30 will not realise that before Windows we had DOS

Everything had to be manually typed in to move files, delete files, format discs. Windows 3.1 with its fancy mouse etc changed all of that.

c>

After the above c> prompt you entered your command.

Oh what fun we had in the late 80s early 90s. I remember in 1983 working on the computers at school that were turf driven. We learned a language called Comal 80. 45 fecking lines of programming to get it to add 2+2.

Glory Days

armaghniac

format a: /s

I remember many moons ago, someone asking me what the format command was. "Format" I said, statng the bleeding obvious, as I left the building. He entered Format (no A:) on the C> prompt, ignored all the dire warnings and formatted the 20MB hard disk!!

not for a command line, but bonus points for anyone who knows what ^kd does.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Treasurer

The first PC I used had a dual floppy drive, no hard drive.  Then in work my office was the first to get a pc, it had a n 80mb (yes mb) hard drive and we thought we'd never fill it!

We wrote a little batch file once for the boss, which gave him a screen asking if he was sure he wanted to delete all files and no matter what key he pressed it said "all files successfully deleted" and the c> prompt changed to "what now master".  He switched it off and said nothing about it for two days :D

Did net send automatically work on all pc's or did you have to have the NT resource kit installed or something?

Treasurer

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 15, 2009, 03:07:27 PM
.... 45 fecking lines of programming to get it to add 2+2.

Vic commodore 20 - must have spent two days typing in a programme that emitted a sound like an opening door - then the tape drive mangled up and it was lost forever :-)

My favourite was an even longer programme that turned the number keys in to a little piano. 

Oh and the adventure games that were text only, where you'd give instructions and it would respond if it understood, eg

Type in: "Go North"
Type in: "look around"
C20:      "I see trees"
Type in  "chop tree"
C20:      "I don't understand"
Type in:  "climb tree"
C20:       "Cannot climb"

Arrrrghhh..................

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Treasurer

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 15, 2009, 05:00:56 PM
Anyone remember 'Rogue'?

Rings a bell I think - were there mazes and such in that?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2009, 02:29:08 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 15, 2009, 05:55:44 AM

net send

does that still work.

A colleague of mine put the shits up me with that feckin command. Is it the one which opens up a dialogue window on whoever's PC you send the message to?
that used to work a treat in j'town libarary.
i remember we caught one fellla out, sent him a email with  acouple of 'racey' photos in it and then used net send to send him a message saying 'you have been caught looking at illicit material using univerity property, please report to the libarary ITdesk imediatly' he fairly sh1t his pants and away up to the IT desk he went ! :D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nifan

My start in programming.

10 print "nifan is cool"
20 goto 10
RUN

armaghniac

QuoteAnyone remember 'Rogue'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28computer_game%29

Ah yes. I recall a colleague having an epic game started a lunch time, by 3pm he was on an epic 6000+ score and we were all advising him on killing Griffins and the like. Anyhow when the boss arrived he hit the boss key, which displayed a fake c> prompt, but the boss wanted some printout or something so he had to reboot the machine and never got to finish his record breaking game!

I have the odd game of its descendent Nethack even yet.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mhic Easmuint

I remember being on a course and one of the lads knew about this net send command. So it soon started spreading round alot of the class and ppl sending messages back and forth. 
One lad didn't put in the username or something and his message popped up on every screen including the one that was projected at the front of the classroom. 
It was comical, not one you'd have wanted popping up in front of everyone.

Puckoon

Reading through this is mind boggling. Yiz are either all very smart, or all rather old.

Shamrock Shore

Orior

I always though this was a bit dodgy:

finger username
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on October 15, 2009, 06:29:18 PM
I remember being on a course and one of the lads knew about this net send command. So it soon started spreading round alot of the class and ppl sending messages back and forth. 
One lad didn't put in the username or something and his message popped up on every screen including the one that was projected at the front of the classroom. 
It was comical, not one you'd have wanted popping up in front of everyone.
I worked as systems admin in a training centre and one of the kids doing computers in the place found this one and spammed the network

The use of it was blocked within about 1 minute of it happening
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something