This is 2009, right? Insanity at Knock!

Started by J70, October 12, 2009, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossie mad

One of other faults is i hate when im wrong ;)

ill try to curb it.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

redhugh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 16, 2009, 02:21:52 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:54:54 PM
Skull , by convictions I mean beliefs,sorry , maybe the wrong word to use in this context.The point that I feel you're missing is that it is your decision to decide how your funeral is carried out ,not that of your loved ones.IMO leaving the difficult decisions to loved ones after you have departed is a bit of a cop out,and leaves them with a lingering doubt as to whether they have done the right thing as per your beliefs.

OK
I just don't fully agree with that bit in bold hugh. If come the time I get to voice a preference and if my loved ones come the time are happy to follow them though it's all good. But my preference will also take into consideration the fact that they will have to carry them out so their feelings and thoughts will also come into play in any opinions I would have.
So take the example that I say I want to be buried in the garden and a tree planted in my memory. If when I'm living, my loved ones under pressure say that they'll follow my wishes. Then up to the point when I die I'll enjoy the thought that they'll look out into the garden and remember the time they had when I was living (hopefully with a smile). Then say after I die they don't feel they can go through with it for one reason or another? They'll be the ones left carrying the guilt trip because they didn't follow instructions through. I'd rather not burden anyone after I'm gone....as I've said I'll have a preference but they'll also know that I'm happy with whatever they choose to do which is good for them.
[/quote

Skull I fully respect the fact that you disagree with that which you have highlighted, fair play, but the bit that really interest me is the actual funeral/service part. What would your own personal preferences be? The reason I'm so interested is that it is a situation that has cropped up with the famliy of a very close friend,just in case you think I'm trying to get a rise - I'm not.

redhugh

Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 02:15:30 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 12:53:15 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 12:47:40 PM
Quick question for the non-believers here.What options would you favour,or indeend what are the options, when it comes to making funeral arrangements for non- believers.I'm not on a wind up mission here ,I'm genuinely very interested.I have heard of humanitarian services ,but don't really know what happens.Is a wake still a possible part of the whole thing without the religious element?

When I'm gone I'm gone. So I am happy with what ever option would comfort my love ones most . If that's a church so be it .

Surely as a non believer a church burial would leave you resting in eternal hypocrisy. I'd say when the time comes your loved ones would rather make the arrangements that you are happy with ,it's unfair at a time of bereavemnet to burden your loved ones with the decision.

I don't care if it looks hypocritical . I'm gone at this stage .

So you have no issue being remembered as a hypocrit? The loved ones that you leave behind might have an issue with it though.

Gnevin

Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 02:58:25 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 02:15:30 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 12:53:15 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 12:47:40 PM
Quick question for the non-believers here.What options would you favour,or indeend what are the options, when it comes to making funeral arrangements for non- believers.I'm not on a wind up mission here ,I'm genuinely very interested.I have heard of humanitarian services ,but don't really know what happens.Is a wake still a possible part of the whole thing without the religious element?

When I'm gone I'm gone. So I am happy with what ever option would comfort my love ones most . If that's a church so be it .

Surely as a non believer a church burial would leave you resting in eternal hypocrisy. I'd say when the time comes your loved ones would rather make the arrangements that you are happy with ,it's unfair at a time of bereavemnet to burden your loved ones with the decision.

I don't care if it looks hypocritical . I'm gone at this stage .

So you have no issue being remembered as a hypocrit? The loved ones that you leave behind might have an issue with it though.

If they have an issue with me being remembered as a hypocrite well then they will bury me under a tree . This would also be my preferred option but  ultimately choice would theirs
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

redhugh

Gnevin , I fully respect your wishes to be laid to rest wherever you as a non- believer see fit.I'm interested to know what would be your idea of a fitting service/ceremony before said laying to rest.

theskull1

When I die, I'll let others decide how they want to reflect and remember me at a funeral service. I'm sure they'll try to make it reflect who I was as a person. I really don't care/think too much about that part to tell you the truth ( I hope I've a fair few years left in me before I need to concern myself with that) as long as they don't overtly lie about the type of person I was I suppose. I can deal with the facad of a church burial as long as my friends and family don't try and cover up or blot out my views on god if asked about my beliefs I'd be happy (even though I'll be dead  :)) . I can't stand liars.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 03:07:28 PM
Gnevin , I fully respect your wishes to be laid to rest wherever you as a non- believer see fit.I'm interested to know what would be your idea of a fitting service/ceremony before said laying to rest.

The Catholic mass service is actually quite nice  at the part when people get up and speak . If I was to go tomorrow. I'd like coffin in the centre ,some sort of "chairman" not the right word but someone to replace the priest duties of being calm and composed  and who would call up people who wished to speak . 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DennistheMenace

Sure what else would you be doing on a Friday afternoon but discussing your own funeral service, delightful.

redhugh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 16, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
When I die, I'll let others decide how they want to reflect and remember me at a funeral service. I'm sure they'll try to make it reflect who I was as a person. I really don't care/think too much about that part to tell you the truth ( I hope I've a fair few years left in me before I need to concern myself with that) as long as they don't overtly lie about the type of person I was I suppose. I can deal with the facad of a church burial as long as my friends and family don't try and cover up or blot out my views on god if asked about my beliefs I'd be happy (even though I'll be dead  :)) . I can't stand liars.

Skull , back to the point I made earlier to Gnevin , would you not feel like a hypocrit having a church burial?

Maiden1

Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 03:11:48 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 03:07:28 PM

The Catholic mass service is actually quite nice  at the part when people get up and speak . If I was to go tomorrow. I'd like coffin in the centre ,some sort of "chairman" not the right word but someone to replace the priest duties of being calm and composed  and who would call up people who wished to speak .

I think POG would like to speak a few words.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

tyrone girl

I know this is a discussion board an all that but we could have 1200 pages on this and people are still gona have their same views and arguments for and against. Its getting slightly repetitive

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: rossie mad on October 16, 2009, 02:32:59 PM

One of other faults is i hate when im wrong ;)

ill try to curb it.
Eh?
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:58:48 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 16, 2009, 01:39:50 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on October 16, 2009, 01:12:05 PM
theskull my response was to you and yes that would have been how would have spoken to you in real life when my temper was up.

you said you told me to do nothing when in fact you gave me a four line lecture in how to raise children and then you told me not to read the forum in the future

Like all men and womaen on this planet i have my faults and i can guarentee it my temper is one.
Just cause i believe in god doesnt mean i dont do wrong of course i do but to say im a la carte is nonsense.
if i was a firm believer in roman catholic teaching then i am a la carte but i dont believe in different religions per say and so am not a la carte.

I do wrong everyday of my life but i also pray everday of my life and i dont expect this prayer to right my wrongs but i do believe it helps me understand life better.

you ridicule my prayer but do i ridicule your non beliefs.
i dont think i do.

Rossie do you mind me asking who exactly it is you pray to if you don't believe in different religions per se? That's another criticism I have of the typical laid back Irish christian (not saying you Rossie). A lot of the time I hear "well I belive in God but not all that going to mass and intense stuff."
As for the funeral chat, I think I'd take my ashes thrown across Breffni Park, that'd do.

Lawrence ,I like the notion of Breffni park as your final resting place.What about the funeral part at the crematorium? Any preferances?
Not really. Whatever people wanted to do to send me off but I wouldn't like a religous ceremony and I'd hope that I'd make that clear to all concerned in advance. Not much I could do about it though is there. Unless................

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: tyrone girl on October 16, 2009, 03:18:44 PM
I know this is a discussion board an all that but we could have 1200 pages on this and people are still gona have their same views and arguments for and against. Its getting slightly repetitive
I don't think bringing POG into is going to lessen the repetitiveness somehow.

tyrone girl