This is 2009, right? Insanity at Knock!

Started by J70, October 12, 2009, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 16, 2009, 12:46:35 PM
theskull1, I commented on your response to his post which I think says multitudes about you, you keyboard warrior

You are a nasty piece of work and that post says it all

Your deflecting of my question tells me enough about you to not give a fcuk what you think of me. Is this what you call defending the faith?

Ad hominem indeed.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rossie mad

theskull my response was to you and yes that would have been how would have spoken to you in real life when my temper was up.

you said you told me to do nothing when in fact you gave me a four line lecture in how to raise children and then you told me not to read the forum in the future

Like all men and womaen on this planet i have my faults and i can guarentee it my temper is one.
Just cause i believe in god doesnt mean i dont do wrong of course i do but to say im a la carte is nonsense.
if i was a firm believer in roman catholic teaching then i am a la carte but i dont believe in different religions per say and so am not a la carte.

I do wrong everyday of my life but i also pray everday of my life and i dont expect this prayer to right my wrongs but i do believe it helps me understand life better.

you ridicule my prayer but do i ridicule your non beliefs.
i dont think i do.

Canalman

Been told that it is all due to happen again on the 31st October next. Place I presume will be packed out.

theskull1

Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:02:50 PM
Surely as a non believer a church burial would leave you resting in eternal hypocrisy. I'd say when the time comes your loved ones would rather make the arrangements that you are happy with ,it's unfair at a time of bereavemnet to burden your loved ones with the decision.

No it's not as simple as that hugh. From a cultural perspective our society is not ready for humanist style burials. Christians appear to have an irrational fear of athiesm from what I can see and they almost align it to devil worship. If I lived in a society where I knew my decendants we're not going to be ostricised or made subjects of ridicule simply as a result of me holding and standing up for my beliefs in such a public way then I would prefer to be buried somewhere where an large tree could be planted beneath me to enjoy the nutrients (I like the thought that) but I couldn't be sure of the support they would get from people who had strong allegience towards the church. They are the ones who have to live on. So until that day comes I'm happy that they bury me whatever way they want to.....I'll not be arguing come the time.

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on October 16, 2009, 01:14:57 PM
Been told that it is all due to happen again on the 31st October next. Place I presume will be packed out.

Very good of the sun, or whoever it, is to give us notice.
MWWSI 2017

redhugh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 16, 2009, 01:22:41 PM
Surely as a non believer a church burial would leave you resting in eternal hypocrisy. I'd say when the time comes your loved ones would rather make the arrangements that you are happy with ,it's unfair at a time of bereavemnet to burden your loved ones with the decision.

No it's not as simple as that hugh. From a cultural perspective our society is not ready for humanist style burials. Christians appear to have an irrational fear of athiesm from what I can see and they almost align it to devil worship. If I lived in a society where I knew my decendants we're not going to be ostricised or made subjects of ridicule simply as a result of me holding and standing up for my beliefs in such a public way then I would prefer to be buried somewhere where an large tree could be planted beneath me to enjoy the nutrients (I like the thought that) but I couldn't be sure of the support they would get from people who had strong allegience towards the church. They are the ones who have to live on. So until that day comes I'm happy that they bury me whatever way they want to.....I'll not be arguing come the time.

But it's not about what anyone else wants at a time like this, it's about your final wishes being carried out.I know a friend of my mothers who recently had a humanitarian sevice for her husband.All the friends and neighbours came and took part.I know that their was nothing but support for the family.It's about what you believe in ,not what anyone else thinks.Are you saying that you would go down the church route to keep your family happy?If so, surely your convictions can't be too strong.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on October 16, 2009, 10:31:19 AM
you pronoun (PEOPLE GENERALLY)
/juː/, /jə/, /jʊ/ pron
people in general
You learn to accept these things as you get older.
You can't get a driving licence till you're seventeen in this country.
Too much alcohol is bad for you.
How do you get this thing to start?

(Definition of you pronoun (PEOPLE GENERALLY) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Idiot!!  I told you how to do nothing.   >:(

Thats slap in the mouth language btw........and from a man who follows Christ!! Would you talk to people like that in the real world?

Quote from: rossie mad on October 16, 2009, 01:12:05 PM
theskull my response was to you and yes that would have been how would have spoken to you in real life when my temper was up.

you said you told me to do nothing when in fact you gave me a four line lecture in how to raise children and then you told me not to read the forum in the future

Are you blind as well Rossie?

"you" did not mean YOU. FFS!!

I'd get that temper sorted if I we're you cause you'll end up starting rows out of nothing simply because you misinterpret what people are saying. 

The christian (and the aithiest) thing would be to apologise for using such language?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Like all men and womaen on this planet i have my faults and i can guarentee it my temper is one.
Just cause i believe in god doesnt mean i dont do wrong of course i do but to say im a la carte is nonsense.
if i was a firm believer in roman catholic teaching then i am a la carte but i dont believe in different religions per say and so am not a la carte.

I do wrong everyday of my life but i also pray everday of my life and i dont expect this prayer to right my wrongs but i do believe it helps me understand life better.

i dont think i do.

Rossie do you mind me asking who exactly it is you pray to if you don't believe in different religions per se? That's another criticism I have of the typical laid back Irish christian (not saying you Rossie). A lot of the time I hear "well I belive in God but not all that going to mass and intense stuff."
As for the funeral chat, I think I'd take my ashes thrown across Breffni Park, that'd do.

theskull1

Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:31:54 PM
But it's not about what anyone else wants at a time like this, it's about your final wishes being carried out.I know a friend of my mothers who recently had a humanitarian sevice for her husband.All the friends and neighbours came and took part.I know that their was nothing but support for the family.It's about what you believe in ,not what anyone else thinks.Are you saying that you would go down the church route to keep your family happy?If so, surely your convictions can't be too strong.

Hugh...I'll be dead...really I like the idea of a burial beneath a tree that my loved one can watch it grow and use that to remember me by.....but in the same breath I know I'll be dead and gone, so if my loved ones feel comfortable with being able to do that then great....if they are not then that is their decision to make come the time not mine.

What do you mean about having strong convictions btw? Being an athiest is a belief that there is no such thing as god..........not being anti-god. Memories are important so as long as loved ones can come and visit a burial site anywhere (including a graveyard) on the planet will be grand.

redhugh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 16, 2009, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:31:54 PM

Hugh...I'll be dead...really I like the idea of a burial beneath a tree that my loved one can watch it grow and use that to remember me by.....but in the same breath I know I'll be dead and gone, so if my loved ones feel comfortable with being able to do that then great....if they are not then that is their decision to make come the time not mine.

What do you mean about having strong convictions btw? Being an athiest is a belief that there is no such thing as god..........not being anti-god. Memories are important so as long as loved ones can come and visit a burial site anywhere (including a graveyard) on the planet will be grand.

Skull , by convictions I mean beliefs,sorry , maybe the wrong word to use in this context.The point that I feel you're missing is that it is your decision to decide how your funeral is carried out ,not that of your loved ones.IMO leaving the difficult decisions to loved ones after you have departed is a bit of a cop out,and leaves them with a lingering doubt as to whether they have done the right thing as per your beliefs.

redhugh

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 16, 2009, 01:39:50 PM

i dont think i do.

Rossie do you mind me asking who exactly it is you pray to if you don't believe in different religions per se? That's another criticism I have of the typical laid back Irish christian (not saying you Rossie). A lot of the time I hear "well I belive in God but not all that going to mass and intense stuff."
As for the funeral chat, I think I'd take my ashes thrown across Breffni Park, that'd do.

Lawrence ,I like the notion of Breffni park as your final resting place.What about the funeral part at the crematorium? Any preferances?

rossie mad

The skull you replied to my post and in doing so i automatically thought you were referring to me.

nevertheless the language was uncalled for and my sincere apologies for the language but not the tone.

Lawrence i am a christian and in so i believe in christ and that god is everthing around us.
I do go to mass and i do receive the sacrement of holy communion as i bekieve that christ gave up his life so that we as mankind might stop being sinners and repent and love each other as he loves us.

Im not preaching but thats what i believe.I dont beleive catholic or protestant or presbythiarian or dissenter are different.I see them as christians and people who believe in and love god.

All thier other different arguments dont really bother me.

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 12:53:15 PM
Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 12:47:40 PM
Quick question for the non-believers here.What options would you favour,or indeend what are the options, when it comes to making funeral arrangements for non- believers.I'm not on a wind up mission here ,I'm genuinely very interested.I have heard of humanitarian services ,but don't really know what happens.Is a wake still a possible part of the whole thing without the religious element?

When I'm gone I'm gone. So I am happy with what ever option would comfort my love ones most . If that's a church so be it .

I don't care if it looks hypocritical . I'm gone at this stage .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

theskull1

Quote from: redhugh on October 16, 2009, 01:54:54 PM
Skull , by convictions I mean beliefs,sorry , maybe the wrong word to use in this context.The point that I feel you're missing is that it is your decision to decide how your funeral is carried out ,not that of your loved ones.IMO leaving the difficult decisions to loved ones after you have departed is a bit of a cop out,and leaves them with a lingering doubt as to whether they have done the right thing as per your beliefs.

OK
I just don't fully agree with that bit in bold hugh. If come the time I get to voice a preference and if my loved ones come the time are happy to follow them though it's all good. But my preference will also take into consideration the fact that they will have to carry them out so their feelings and thoughts will also come into play in any opinions I would have.
So take the example that I say I want to be buried in the garden and a tree planted in my memory. If when I'm living, my loved ones under pressure say that they'll follow my wishes. Then up to the point when I die I'll enjoy the thought that they'll look out into the garden and remember the time they had when I was living (hopefully with a smile). Then say after I die they don't feel they can go through with it for one reason or another? They'll be the ones left carrying the guilt trip because they didn't follow instructions through. I'd rather not burden anyone after I'm gone....as I've said I'll have a preference but they'll also know that I'm happy with whatever they choose to do which is good for them.

theskull1

Quote from: rossie mad on October 16, 2009, 02:00:34 PM
The skull you replied to my post and in doing so i automatically thought you were referring to me.

nevertheless the language was uncalled for and my sincere apologies for the language but not the tone.

I accept your apology for the uncalled for language. Thankyou.

You thought I was referring specifically to you but you were incorrect in that assumption. So could I suggest you seek clarification before you loose the bap next time and then we'll have neither the tone (which was also uncalled for considering your misinterpretation) or the uncalled for language.