This is 2009, right? Insanity at Knock!

Started by J70, October 12, 2009, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: ziggysego on October 12, 2009, 09:39:29 PM
Well I've been to Lourdes and got into the baths there. Within seconds of getting out, bone dry without the aid of a towel.

Came face to face with the devil.

Had a run in with the Banshee.

Spoke to someone after she passed over to the other side.

Rather not go into detail about any of the stuff, if that's ok. Just take my word, they did happen.
Wow! That's a story I'd love to hear if you ever do feeling like going into the detail.

What did the devil and Banshee even look like?

theskull1

I think they both played for Aghabrack  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

new devil

:D :D :D

Seriously ziggy could you go into more detail?

Canalman

Spoke yesterday to a woman from the Travelling Community who told me she was at Knock last weekend . Acc. to her the clouds parted, everyone was immersed in sunbeams and the sun changed colours and "danced" in the sky. She said everyone there burst into tears. Just saying what I heard.

longrunsthefox

I haerd that from a fellow from Tyrone who was there. He rang me on his way home and was very exhilerated by the whole thing. Maybe some people see it and others can't. I would be a sceptic too but why would so many people just make this up? Although Blessed Mary, God's Mammy, never appears to Protestants. Now that would be something  :o   

theskull1

Come on lads. Do people not understand the power of the mind to fill in the gaps in our visual nervous system. If youre predisposed to believing these type of things then you are more likely to subconciously "see" what you want to "see" (i.e. what other believers say they see)

Sceptics looking at the same thing will see nothing.

Is anyone going to attempt to answer the question as to why god would perform cryptic party tricks to a chosen few when you consider how people are walking away from orginised religions? Would a hard hitting TV ad not be better at influencing the core beliefs of his demographic?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stephenite

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 14, 2009, 10:41:08 AM
I haerd that from a fellow from Tyrone who was there. He rang me on his way home and was very exhilerated by the whole thing. Maybe some people see it and others can't. I would be a sceptic too but why would so many people just make this up? Although Blessed Mary, God's Mammy, never appears to Protestants. Now that would be something  :o   

Not trying to be smart - but could you ask him if his phone has camera or video function?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: stephenite on October 14, 2009, 10:58:18 AM

Not trying to be smart - but could you ask him if his phone has camera or video function?

Well, I would tend to agree that he saw it in his mind but did not in effect really happen. no-I didn't ask him about phone or camera. If he believes, so be it. I ain't trying to catch him out.

stephenite

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 14, 2009, 11:01:21 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 14, 2009, 10:58:18 AM

Well, I would tend to agree that he saw it in his mind but did not in effect really happen. no-I didn't ask him about phone or camera. If he believes, so be it. I ain't trying to catch him out.

Fair enough - and I'm not particularly trying to catch anyone out, as you say if he believes so be it.

I just can't help thinking that if I saw something like that, my first reaction would be to whip the phone out and try to capture it. I just find it strange that with so many people there, nobody did the same.

small white mayoman

i know someone who went up to knock more out of curiosity than anything else didn't see anything at all just people looking up at the sun and at 3 o clock loads of people started clapping . He did say there was a funny incident whereby there was a little girl in the crowd who pointed up to the sky and said look daddy there is Mary in the sky, loads of people started looking in the direction the wee giirl was pointing her father asked here where to which the girl replied she is in the airplane thats just passing by
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Treasurer

Quote from: theskull1 on October 14, 2009, 10:55:00 AM

But then how people who do not believe they will see anything sometimes do?

Gnevin

Quote from: Treasurer on October 14, 2009, 02:28:09 PM

Group think,peer pressure and the power of suggestion. How do smart, strong indepent people end up in cults? It's the same thing. If enough people around you are seeing something ,some will convince themself they see it also.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Treasurer

Quote from: Gnevin on October 14, 2009, 02:41:40 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on October 14, 2009, 02:28:09 PM

Group think,peer pressure and the power of suggestion. How do smart, strong indepent people end up in cults? It's the same thing. If enough people around you are seeing something ,some will convince themself they see it also.

I don't know.  I haven't spoken very much before about what I saw because I know how crazy it sounds (particularly in a forum like there where only a handful of people actually know me), but I really don't understand how power of suggestion etc could have been the case at that time, as I absolutely thought it was a load of codswallop.  I also know a very cynical journalist who went with the intention of writing a skit on the whole thing and had a very similar experience to my own.  All I know is what I saw, whether that was divine intervention or me losing a grip I don't know.

Tubberman

Haven't read most of this thread (just this page) but come on, wisen up lads.
Do you really believe the sun changed colours and danced in the sky, and this was only visible from Knock Shrine!  :D

If anyone stares at the sun long enough, believe me, you'll start seeing different colours and shapes! If you look at a bright light, then look away, you see different colours and patches of darkness etc while your eyes readjust.

Even my mother (who works in an abbey) thinks this is just "daft". Must be something to do with the recession and people turning to religion for hope - last time she remembers this kinda thing was the moving statues craze back in the 80s.
I remember sitting in the lawn of the national school staring up at the statue of the virgin mary. We thought she moved too - amazing what the will to see something will do to a child's mind. Really shouldn't work for adults as well I'd have thought....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Treasurer

Quote from: Tubberman on October 14, 2009, 02:56:37 PM

Even my mother (who works in an abbey) thinks this is just "daft". Must be something to do with the recession and people turning to religion for hope - last time she remembers this kinda thing was the moving statues craze back in the 80s.
I remember sitting in the lawn of the national school staring up at the statue of the virgin mary. We thought she moved too - amazing what the will to see something will do to a child's mind. Really shouldn't work for adults as well I'd have thought....

This is the last I'm saying on this but if you read my post about the statues - I wasn't expecting it to move and I wasn't staring at it.  As for the power of suggestion, Paul Goldin failed to hypnotise me (and I wanted to be hypnotised) - whether that's relevant or not I don't know. 

Do I believe the sun danced in Knock on Sunday?  Not particularly, but I do believe that things happen that we can't understand.