J70

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 12, 2009, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2009, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 12, 2009, 08:50:30 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 12, 2009, 08:38:51 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 12, 2009, 08:27:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2009, 07:35:58 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 12, 2009, 07:30:05 PM
You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what people believe it. I've seen enough strange and unexplainable things, in my relevantly short amount of time on this planet to be prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

How about the lads who saw the virgin mary in the tree stump in Rathkeale?

How about Fatima or Lourdes is anyone who believes something happened in those places morons too? Or are the millions of people who visit these sites every year also morons?
Maybe these people did see something,maybe they didn't I'm not religious enough to know or care for that matter but just because they believe something you don't doesn't make them morons...
Lourdes has 67 "miracles" in 150 years . Not exactly a great batting average now is it?  Witchdoctors are probably averaging the same numbers .

Would you send your sick child to Lourdes  or a Doctor first
I dont think anyone is suggesting not going to a doctor.   ::)

Its fair enough if you dont believe what they do, I dont really buy it myself but ridiculing someone for believing something you dont is the height of arrogance.

So when is it not "the height of arrogance" to ridicule the beliefs of someone else?

Should David Irving's beliefs not be ridiculed? David Icke?
Theres a difference between criticising or arguing against and calling people morons.

Ok, I'll accept that distinction in terms of the name-calling, although I would otherwise consider it a very thin line between utterly dismantling someone's arguments and ridiculing them (not saying I or anyone else is doing that here BTW, but as a general observation).

ross4life

do these people know how dangerous it is to stare at the sun?

ok i dare anyone to stare at the light in room for 30 seconds without blinking, i bet you will see many colours afters, now if you see mary (ask urself how many have you drank?)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ziggysego

Quote from: new devil on October 12, 2009, 07:47:10 PM
You shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what people believe it. I've seen enough strange and unexplainable things, in my relevantly short amount of time on this planet to be prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Like what ziggy?

Well I've been to Lourdes and got into the baths there. Within seconds of getting out, bone dry without the aid of a towel.

Came face to face with the devil.

Had a run in with the Banshee.

Spoke to someone after she passed over to the other side.

Rather not go into detail about any of the stuff, if that's ok. Just take my word, they did happen.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on October 12, 2009, 08:38:51 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 12, 2009, 08:27:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2009, 07:35:58 PM

Why should they get the benefit of the doubt?

How about the lads who saw the virgin mary in the tree stump in Rathkeale?

How about Fatima or Lourdes is anyone who believes something happened in those places morons too? Or are the millions of people who visit these sites every year also morons?
Maybe these people did see something,maybe they didn't I'm not religious enough to know or care for that matter but just because they believe something you don't doesn't make them morons...
Lourdes has 67 "miracles" in 150 years . Not exactly a great batting average now is it?  Witchdoctors are probably averaging the same numbers .

Would you send your sick child to Lourdes  or a Doctor first

Its fair enough if you dont believe what they do, I dont really buy it myself but ridiculing someone for believing something you dont is the height of arrogance.

I never ridiculed anyone on this thread
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Gnevin, leave it be. There's some things you don't use to make a point with... this is one of them.
Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

There have been some real shitty things written on this board of late (see stephen gatley thread) but Gnevin you are in danger of plumetting to a depth that is beyond belief. I don't know when you lost your brother Laoislad and for what it is worth I offer my condolences to you. I can only try and imagine how hard that was on you and your family. A lot of people get some closure and relief from their faith and in all honesty I envy them for that in some ways. Perhaps those of us, myself included, who do not have time for the churches or religion should be a little more sensitive in the way we make our points in future.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 12, 2009, 10:36:30 PM
I don't know when you lost your brother Laoislad and for what it is worth I offer my condolences to you. I can only try and imagine how hard that was on you and your family. A lot of people get some closure and relief from their faith and in all honesty I envy them for that in some ways. Perhaps those of us, myself included, who do not have time for the churches or religion should be a little more sensitive in the way we make our points in future.

Appreciated
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Treasurer

Ok, I don't know what did/didn't happen in Knock yesterday but strange things do happen.  Many (probably most) of you will scoff at my little tale but in the 1980's when reports were rife about moving statues, I scoffed too and believed if you stared at an object long enough,  you could convince yourself of anything, but I went along with a few friends to have a laugh at the whole thing.  I thought it was a load of baloney and that if the statue moved in my presence I'd be on my knees or in a convent for the rest of my days.

So nobody was more surprised than I was to get out of the car and walk towards the grotto and immediately see the statue rocking around the place! Not a  little quiver, not a "oh did it move a bit there", but absolutely rocking left, right, forward, back - so far that it actually looked like it would fall over completely.  This went on the entire time we were there.  There were three of us together, two of us saw the exact same thing, the third saw nothing, so if it was some sort of hoax why didn't everyone see it.

What it was I have no idea, but there was something very strange going on.

Gnevin

Got to love the power of suggestion and group think.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 12, 2009, 07:51:59 PM
There was a similar story in Donegal last week.

The thing I dont understand both sightings were predicted by a clairvoyant, and yet no one who went brought a camera or anything?

If I was told that something like that was going to happen, Id bring my camera to video it... i find that really strange that no one did?

Couldn't agree more.

Apparently whatever happened in Donegal was predicted by some chap, don't have the details to hand so can anyone confirm thi story to me, the lad that predicted the apparition didn't attend the event at the time he stated it was to appear beacuse........... he was too busy?!

rosnarun

like any one would believe if a picture or TV footage any way
and as for the doctor how about a joke to lighten the mood?

moshie was a fervent Beliver who prayed every day and did good works constantly and believed he had a deal with God who would always look after him , but one day was his town flooded ans Moshie climbed onto the roof to escape the rising water.
after an hour a boat came to rescue him but he said
'God will look after me' and sent the boat away
the water still rose and a another boat came but again he said
'God will look after me' and sent the boat away
finally as his feet were getting wet in the roof a helicopter let down a ladder but he refused to climb it citing his deal with God. he then slipped and drowned
When he got to the pearly gates he began giving out shit to god ,
hey what happened our deal you let me drown
and God says
' hey i did my part i sent 2 boats and a helicopter'

sorry if i sound like a missioner
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Main Street

Quite right.
Arrogance towards  and ridicule of beliefs here, have nothing to do with science,
more to do with emotional immaturity.

stephenite

I have no problem accepting other peoples beliefs - someone above claims to have come face to face with the Devil. I don't believe that he/she did, but I am not going to start a campaign to attempt to discredit their beliefs because it's no skin off my nose what they choose to believe in, once they don't start trying to convince me, that is.

new devil

Quote from: ziggysego on October 12, 2009, 09:39:29 PM
Quote from: new devil on October 12, 2009, 07:47:10 PM

Like what ziggy?

Well I've been to Lourdes and got into the baths there. Within seconds of getting out, bone dry without the aid of a towel.

Came face to face with the newdevil.

Had a run in with the Banshee.

Spoke to someone after she passed over to the other side.

Rather not go into detail about any of the stuff, if that's ok. Just take my word, they did happen.

When??  :P

Ok ziggy i believe you