Her majesty paid for Northern success...........apparently!

Started by High Wide and Handsome, October 09, 2009, 08:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

The four  most populated counties Dublin,Antrim,Cork and Down havent enjoyed the fruits of this well thought out hypothesis  since the back door system was introduced.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 09, 2009, 01:50:57 PM
Good man Shane Curran !
Laughed at that and while it is funny for a whole load of reasons, he has a bit of a point !

Peace process and cessation in people being persecuted allowed northern Gaels to finally concentrate on football and work and not have the opprssive bulls**t always in their faces as was before.The money was more forthcoming from her majestrys gov so obv it was well spent !
:)

i think that gaelic football in the north is seen as away of holding on to our traditions and culture, much more that it would be in the 26.
In alot of the counties & clubs playing another sport is looked down upon, so you would actually loose less young players to soccer/rugby etc than the southern counties would.
As for the money being forthcoming from the british gov,really? you think more so than gaa clubs in the south get funded by the gov?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 09, 2009, 02:01:20 PM
Good man Shane Curran !
Laughed at that and while it is funny for a whole load of reasons, he has a bit of a point !

Peace process and cessation in people being persecuted allowed northern Gaels to finally concentrate on football and work and not have the opprssive bulls**t always in their faces as was before.The money was more forthcoming from her majestrys gov so obv it was well spent !

i think that gaelic football in the north is seen as away of holding on to our traditions and culture, much more that it would be in the 26.
In alot of the counties & clubs playing another sport is looked down upon, so you would actually loose less young players to soccer/rugby etc than the southern counties would.
As for the money being forthcoming from the british gov,really? you think more so than gaa clubs in the south get funded by the gov?
I would have really though so to be honest - yes !

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 09, 2009, 02:08:40 PM
Good man Shane Curran !

well i can only speak for may own club and i know we have got very little funding from gov grants or whatever.Most of the development work we have done at our grounds has been through our own fundraising. i think we may have go a small grant to help with the development of our pitchs,but we recently put up a stand money we fundraised ourselves and have plans at the minute for new clubrooms,but have been told that there is no gov/sports council money available.
As for the county teams, i would imagine they would get very little ,if any ,money directly from the gov
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 09, 2009, 02:28:18 PM
Good man Shane Curran !

well i can only speak for may own club and i know we have got very little funding from gov grants or whatever.Most of the development work we have done at our grounds has been through our own fundraising. i think we may have go a small grant to help with the development of our pitchs,but we recently put up a stand money we fundraised ourselves and have plans at the minute for new clubrooms,but have been told that there is no gov/sports council money available.
As for the county teams, i would imagine they would get very little ,if any ,money directly from the gov
your example would be typical of GAA clubs I'd expect.
There are some clubs and countys that receive britsh gov lottery funding and sports council funding - which is more than what clubs south of the border get !
I could be wrong here though!

Drumanee 1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 09, 2009, 02:28:18 PM
Good man Shane Curran !

grant aid is mostly given for new pitches and floodlights and it is very difficult to get any money towards changing rooms,stands etc

longrunsthefox

Maybe he has a point tho when you consider Crossmaglen Rangers got a fortune from the Ministry of defence and won all those titles after...   ;)

cadhlancian

what about the f,,ing editor of the paper for letting it go to print,,just as big a clown!

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on October 09, 2009, 11:04:23 AM
Curran was a character all the same. Remember watching him play for the Rossies against the Dubs in 2004 or 2005 and one of his own defenders allowed his man a free shot and point and Curran ran from his goal and clipped him round the earhole

Didn't he also once save a penalty playing for Athlone Town that denied Derry City a league title win?

He did indeed and he scored a famous penalty in the connacht Minor Final of 1989 when he was an outfield player. Also played Senior for Ros as a forward in the early 90s.
Scored 1-1 from a penalty and a free from the sideline 55metres out in Markievicz in 2004.
By the way for Nordies "Cake" comes from his surname ...in Ros we often ate curran cake  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Curran was a character all the same. Remember watching him play for the Rossies against the Dubs in 2004 or 2005 and one of his own defenders allowed his man a free shot and point and Curran ran from his goal and clipped him round the earhole :D

Didn't he also once save a penalty playing for Athlone Town that denied Derry City a league title win?

He's disliked by Derry City fans so that could well be the reason.

Wasn't there also a controversy at minor level V Mayo or Galway where Roscommon were awarded a penalty and as the penalty taker was lining up to take it, Curran ran the length of the field and ran past him and buried it to win the game, but the opposition appealed and were given a replay??

stew

Quote from: heffo on October 09, 2009, 08:48:18 PM
Curran was a character all the same. Remember watching him play for the Rossies against the Dubs in 2004 or 2005 and one of his own defenders allowed his man a free shot and point and Curran ran from his goal and clipped him round the earhole :D

He's disliked by Derry City fans so that could well be the reason.

Wasn't there also a controversy at minor level V Mayo or Galway where Roscommon were awarded a penalty and as the penalty taker was lining up to take it, Curran ran the length of the field and ran past him and buried it to win the game, but the opposition appealed and were given a replay??
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

feckin brilliant that!!!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

QuoteMaybe he has a point tho when you consider Crossmaglen Rangers

It probably was Cross. Liz Winsdor takes a great interest in them, many's the day she'd be on the bank behind the goals wearing a Barbour jacket with a Corgi on a lead and her shouting at a young BC to get his arse in gear.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

In that Minor game Ros were given the Cup( I helped a couple of lads bring it out to a car) but the Ref eventually got hold of a Connacht Council oifigeach to tell him he had in fact disallowed the goal so Galway were officially the winners. But following a lot of "reflection" there was a replay and we squeezed through.
We got hammered by an Anthony Tohill led Derry in the Semi though  :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mike Sheehy

The next time I hear Northerners complaining about the "unfair" provincial system they will have to explain this disparity. They are receiving money from both govt  for christ sakes !! (via the GAA) so obviously that gives them an advantage.

(Lizzy might be looking for her money back on Armagh though.)