Cavan Minors 50 year reunion, I hope this isn't a wind-up

Started by fer fox ache, October 07, 2009, 03:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fer fox ache

Made me laugh my arse off. Hope it's for real, busker seems like a bit of a euphemism

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=118791

the real slim shady

longrunsthefox

anglocelt39

Unbelievable story all right. think the local paper had the lad listed as deceased in a 50 year "where are they now" article a few weeks previously (we have to rely on increasingly ancient history in Cavan I'm afraid). Without knowing the mans circumstances I would say life has been tough enough for him, hope this makes some sort of difference.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

john mcgill

When the GAA appointed a Welfare Officer, it was people like this that I would like to see the GAA look after first.  Having lived in England and the US I have run across a few ex GAA players down on their luck who could have benefited from a hand up.

redhugh

Quote from: john mcgill on October 08, 2009, 07:11:00 AM
When the GAA appointed a Welfare Officer, it was people like this that I would like to see the GAA look after first.  Having lived in England and the US I have run across a few ex GAA players down on their luck who could have benefited from a hand up.

Great point- I've met a couple of these characters myself, one of whom I idolised as a kid- very sad to see.

irunthev

Quote from: redhugh on October 08, 2009, 07:40:44 AM
Quote from: john mcgill on October 08, 2009, 07:11:00 AM

Great point- I've met a couple of these characters myself, one of whom I idolised as a kid- very sad to see.

Different sport but same concept..... I read a great article by Michael Atherton a few months back about the lives of some of the great West Indies cricketers and how after they have finished playing some fall into dire straits, some even living as down-and-out junkies on the streets. It was a very touching piece. We make a huge fuss about guys when they are playing and then forget about them as soon as they have stopped. Their living goes on though.

I have a picture of the Cavan guy along with his team mates, but I am struggling to get it loaded on to this forum. If any of you are interested in seeing it, PM me.

AbbeySider

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 07, 2009, 05:36:04 PM
Brilliant uplifting story   :P

uplifting ?

I thought is was very sad story.
I got the email about him from someone from Cavan last week.
The guy is a down and out living on the streets in London.

Here is the team pic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 08, 2009, 08:42:55 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 07, 2009, 05:36:04 PM
Brilliant uplifting story   :P

uplifting ?

I thought is was very sad story.
I got the email about him from someone from Cavan last week.
The guy is a down and out living on the streets in London.

Here is the team pic

Where does it say he lives on the streets?  ::)  He makes his living from busking... that does not equal living on the street. He looks happy enough to me or does everyone have to conform to wearing a suit and be clean shaven?...

Aghdavoyle

Am i the only one who thinks there's a maths issue here?

brokencrossbar1

magpie seanie

Obviously a wife and a few sons representing deceased players. Some story. Would love to know how he made it back for the event and how he heard about it (maybe gets to read the Anglo-Celt in London).

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SidelineKick

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 08, 2009, 01:54:53 PM
Obviously a wife and a few sons representing deceased players. Some story. Would love to know how he made it back for the event and how he heard about it (maybe gets to read the Anglo-Celt in London).

Just made that joke without thinking, sorry if that offended anybody, was in poor taste  :-[
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.