John O'Donoghue -& his expenses

Started by Maroon Heaven, October 06, 2009, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 09, 2009, 12:51:11 PM
Is there a more eloquent illustration of the venal, parish-pump, nature of the colloquial charade that masquerades as Irish politics?

Maybe he'll lose.

I'll get my coat . . .

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: deiseach on October 09, 2009, 01:05:55 PM
Maybe he'll lose.

I'll get my coat . . .

Good job, I was just on my way around to you  ;)

My money'll be on him topping the poll.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

deiseach

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 09, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
My money'll be on him topping the poll.

Good luck finding a bookie who'll take your money

sammymaguire

just an exerpt from his speech today

'By way of illustration, I want to refer to a number of specific issues. There are also many other issues in need of correction. This is for another day. I refer to these illustrations for the sake of demonstrating that the opportunity to defend myself, my office and others, was one of substance. I do not appeal to fair procedures on the basis of some abstract principle. Being afforded a fair hearing would have had real implications. I have been denied that opportunity by a pre-emptive assertion of No Confidence. In referring to some constant and repeated misstatements and misunderstandings, I do so simply to illustrate why fair process is important and, specifically, when one is dealing with the holder of a constitutional office such as Ceann Comhairle.

(1) International Flights: Government Jet.
'The impression has been created that I travelled very frequently to international events, on the government jet. I have extracted the records in this regard. While I was Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism I was on 14 international flights on the Government jet over a five-year period. The government jet was not at my beck and call or for my personal pleasure.

(2) Venice and Cannes.
'I think it is important to point out that accommodation is frequently arranged, locally, for a visiting Minister. It is arranged by the hosts of an event that one is attending. Alternatively, it is arranged by the relevant Department. Some have stated that I stayed in a hotel in Venice at €900 per night. This is advanced as further evidence of extravagance. In fact, a perusal of the records demonstrates that the cost of staying in the Best Western Hotel - Albergo San Marco in Venice was € 312.50 per room. Likewise the cost of the Montfleury Novotel, Cannes was €352.50 per room. This is small detail that shows why making my case in its full detail was important.

(3) Heathrow
'The transfer between terminals at Heathrow was in accordance with standard protocol. This is a long established custom and practice whereby an incoming Minister is greeted by an Embassy official. My case was no exception. It has happened on hundreds of occasions in the past to others who have held office.

(4) Charity
'One of the most bizarre matters that has arisen relates to the sum of £1.00, on a hotel bill, that was a charge imposed for the benefit of a charity. The hotel bill was processed, in the normal way and in accordance with standard procedures, and the costs duly paid. That hotel had an arrangement with the charity to make the payment of £1.00 in respect of guests staying in its accommodation. Through an administrative error when personal costs on the bill were charged to me the charitable sum was omitted. But I never saw the bill. I did not process it for payment. I was not aware of the deduction and the arrangement between the hotel and the charity. I did not claim back this £1.00. To impute to me this level of petty meanness is extraordinary. This again demonstrates the necessity for careful and detailed analysis of the costs incurred and why I had been wronged by a denial of fair procedure.

(5) Gratuity - €520.00
'It has been suggested that I paid €520.00, and other amounts, in tips to limousine drivers/taxis. This is simply untrue. In certain countries, e.g. the USA, a gratuity is automatically added. In the case of a trip to the United States a gratuity, at a level of 20%, was added. The bill was processed through the Consul in New York, paid and recouped from the Department. A similar process applied to other jurisdictions. I did not pay €520.00 by way of a tip. The tipping arrangement is a standard procedure which was followed on these occasions.

(6) Hong Kong
'A cost of €12,000 is attributed to me, as Ceann Comhairle, for car hire for a trip to Hong Kong whilst in transit. In fact the costs reported include the costs of officials and parliamentary delegates, i.e. other TDs and Senators.

'Any common sense view of my situation will recognize the particular representative functions which arise from being Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism and indeed Ceann Comhairle. One attends events at home and abroad. In attending international events I want to emphasis that it was my function to represent and promote Ireland in many ways. The goodwill and the networking that derives from these occasions benefit important industries in this State. In this context, my period as Minister saw record increases in the number of tourists coming to Ireland. I succeeded as well in providing invaluable assistance which attracted the Volvo Ocean Race, a stage of the World Rally, and the Solheim Cup to Ireland. These are worth millions of Euro to our country. Additionally my attendance at International Race meetings, where I promoted the Irish horse racing industry with Horse Racing Ireland, was of enormous benefit as has been confirmed by that organization to an industry that employs over 16,000 people directly and indirectly mainly in rural Ireland.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ExiledGael

Does it strike anyone alse that what our politicians do seems to be about six months behind what they do in London?

Blair/Bertie dominate for years but under increasing pressure (and no little forewarning) decide to step aside. Gordon/Cowen take the reigns and walk into financial meltdown. With the public angry and blame turning to politicians their expenses come to light and they are revealed for the immoral pigs they all are. Politicians come together, scapegoats are needed, lets round on the speaker of the house Michael Martin/John O Donoghue. They get forced out, they feel hard done by, 'we broke no rules etc', the rest of them trot out rubbish like 'lets draw a line in the sand' and 'move on', 'the system was to blame'.

Only a matter of time before TD's are forced to pay back some of the more ridiculous costs.
They don't seem to realise that "I acted within the rules" is not a defence for their immoral ways

BerfArmagh

What a pompous arrogant p***k O Donaghue is. Jesus, I have never heard such shite sputed out of an individual in my life. You'd think he was making a speech outside the GPO or something. He symbolises everything that is wrong with political life in ireland at the moment. 500,000 people on the dole & all he could cry about was dur process. Bottom line is he was another big time charlie like Ahern & Haughey who was taking the piss....

The Greens did the country a huge dis-service keeping that shower in government. Fair play to Gilmore, he appears to be the only politician with a notion regarding public feeling & a sense of decency. He had balls to do what he did & I applaud him. Cowen has again showed himself to be a clown. He must be the worst taiseach in living memory.

Rant over

Gnevin

I love his I'm only  answerable to the people of Kerry South. Then resign and run in the by election !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

I notice he doesn't address his accepting payment to employ a political advisor, even though he is supposed to be neutral as Ceann Comhairle.

It would be like the Cardinal employing a sex therapist.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: BerfArmagh on October 14, 2009, 09:38:08 AM
What a pompous arrogant p***k O Donaghue is. Jesus, I have never heard such shite sputed out of an individual in my life. You'd think he was making a speech outside the GPO or something. He symbolises everything that is wrong with political life in ireland at the moment. 500,000 people on the dole & all he could cry about was dur process. Bottom line is he was another big time charlie like Ahern & Haughey who was taking the piss....

The Greens did the country a huge dis-service keeping that shower in government. Fair play to Gilmore, he appears to be the only politician with a notion regarding public feeling & a sense of decency. He had balls to do what he did & I applaud him. Cowen has again showed himself to be a clown. He must be the worst taiseach in living memory.

Rant over

Gilmore would have continued to keep his mouth shut if SF hadn't have indicated they would do it. SF said it on tv that morning and Gilmore did it in the Dail before they did in order to save his own face. It should have been Kenny saying it but Kenny is a little puppy in there. Gilmore didn't tell Kenny he was going to do it and stabbed him in the back.  Once again Gilmore is silent on expences. Harney, Dempsey etc should all be targeted by the opposition. They won't be though as none of them want to do it. They will take this lamb and ask for nothing more. If SF do it noone will listen and they might get evicted from the Dail. Joe Higgans probably would have done it but he would be called a looney comunist for it. Gilmore should hang his head in shame. JOD is gone, the public anger has been answered and now they can all go back to their gravy train.

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on October 15, 2009, 08:14:07 AM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on October 14, 2009, 09:38:08 AM

Rant over

Gilmore would have continued to keep his mouth shut if SF hadn't have indicated they would do it. SF said it on tv that morning and Gilmore did it in the Dail before they did in order to save his own face. It should have been Kenny saying it but Kenny is a little puppy in there. Gilmore didn't tell Kenny he was going to do it and stabbed him in the back.  Once again Gilmore is silent on expences. Harney, Dempsey etc should all be targeted by the opposition. They won't be though as none of them want to do it. They will take this lamb and ask for nothing more. If SF do it noone will listen and they might get evicted from the Dail. Joe Higgans probably would have done it but he would be called a looney comunist for it. Gilmore should hang his head in shame. JOD is gone, the public anger has been answered and now they can all go back to their gravy train.

The trouble with opposition is they are all as bad as FF . Since SF have never been in power down here they are about the only only with a clean bib when it come to this sort of thing anyway.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Billys Boots

QuoteI notice he doesn't address his accepting payment to employ a political advisor, even though he is supposed to be neutral as Ceann Comhairle.

A man (who would know these things) told me last night that O'Donoghue summoned his driver from Dublin to drive to his house in Caherciveen with the sole purpose of bringing his son downtown (in Caherciveen) for a haircut. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on October 15, 2009, 08:56:44 AM

The trouble with opposition is they are all as bad as FF . Since SF have never been in power down here they are about the only only with a clean bib when it come to this sort of thing anyway.

When we talk about ministers expences the only ones who were in a position to rack them up were FF, PD and GN. FG and Lab have been out of power for the entire boom. They are bound to have a clean sheet? Maybe the lure of a power and it's benefits are what is keeping them silent?

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on October 15, 2009, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 15, 2009, 08:56:44 AM

When we talk about ministers expences the only ones who were in a position to rack them up were FF, PD and GN. FG and Lab have been out of power for the entire boom. They are bound to have a clean sheet? Maybe the lure of a power and it's benefits are what is keeping them silent?

Not according to Newstalk and others. They where all at it they claim .

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on October 15, 2009, 09:20:12 AM

Not according to Newstalk and others. They where all at it they claim .

They didn't have any ministers. They couldn't head off on junkets at the expence of the tax payer.

Zapatista

Overall Mr Dempsey has been responsible for costs of €38,000 during eight foreign trips since January last year.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dempsey-splashed-out-836414000-on-limos-1923532.html