2010 Provincial Draws

Started by anportmorforjfc, October 05, 2009, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Umbrella (hey)

You are starting to talk jibberish now boy. Have you had a harp?

Anyways this is a tread for discussion about the provincial draws, you might want to post further replys to an Armagh related thread or since you have now admitted it -  you could start a thread called: Armagh - average indeed.

haveaharp

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 04:54:59 PM
You are starting to talk jibberish now boy. Have you had a harp?

Anyways this is a tread for discussion about the provincial draws, you might want to post further replys to an Armagh related thread or since you have now admitted it -  you could start a thread called: Armagh - average indeed.

Would you put your house on Down to beat Armagh if they met in the championship? I hear theres a great sale on tents at Milletts in Newry.

Maguire01

Championship draws won't be televised
06 October 2009

The draws for the 2010 football and hurling championships won't be televised by RTE.

The draws, which will take place next Tuesday in Croke Park, will not be shown by the national broadcaster due to pressure of dates, but they are expected to be broadcast live on RTE radio.

The Irish Times reports that the GAA have been caught for schedule times because of a combination of factors. Firstly, the draws couldn't be made until after next weekend's Special Congress in City West, which will be considering the motions on the structure of the next year's hurling championship.

Once that has been concluded, it was simply a matter of trying to get the soonest date on which all of the provincial officers could assemble to carry out the draw, which is needed quickly to facilitate the setting of dates and venues for the fixtures.

RTE have traditionally televised the draws, but on this occasion, are unable to tie in with the GAA's date.

The draws take place on the same evening as the official launch of the 125 anniversary publication, 'The GAA - A People's History', which will be performed by GAA president Christy Cooney.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=118740

Apple Crumble

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2009, 06:24:26 PM
Championship draws won't be televised
06 October 2009

The draws for the 2010 football and hurling championships won't be televised by RTE.

The draws, which will take place next Tuesday in Croke Park, will not be shown by the national broadcaster due to pressure of dates, but they are expected to be broadcast live on RTE radio.

The Irish Times reports that the GAA have been caught for schedule times because of a combination of factors. Firstly, the draws couldn't be made until after next weekend's Special Congress in City West, which will be considering the motions on the structure of the next year's hurling championship.

Once that has been concluded, it was simply a matter of trying to get the soonest date on which all of the provincial officers could assemble to carry out the draw, which is needed quickly to facilitate the setting of dates and venues for the fixtures.

RTE have traditionally televised the draws, but on this occasion, are unable to tie in with the GAA's date.

The draws take place on the same evening as the official launch of the 125 anniversary publication, 'The GAA - A People's History', which will be performed by GAA president Christy Cooney.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=118740

Down SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

POR will do well for us with a good support team.

stew

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 03:37:19 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on October 05, 2009, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on October 05, 2009, 03:08:16 PM
Seriously though - how have Down managed to decline so much since 1994 ?

We got Paddy O'Rourke to manage us!

In fairness to Paddy he might do a better job with some talent to work with.

Your absolutley right there, I bet he's gutted he missed out on being Banty's right hand man cos those Monaghan boys have some potential. For now though he's stuck with Armagh and things arent looking good. Its back to the dark old days:

Crossmaglen are no longer winning county never mind All Ireland titles, the Athletic Grounds have been re-installed as the home venue, their neighbours are laughing at them all again, theres a recession, the star players have all retired - leaving a buch of average Joes's to wear the Orange jersey.

Average Joe's are winners too, just ask anyone connected with Dodgeball. ;)

We have recently won an AI U21 title, we just won the minor and there are some fantastic prospects there, we also have some young players on the current panel that are coming into their own and we have Clarke, who on his day is as good as anyone in the country and sure he is only 26 or so.

Down have Benny and a couple of decent youngsters, their seniors have won feck all in ages and are beginning to look like the sligo of the north.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

QuoteDown have Benny and a couple of decent youngsters, their seniors have won feck all in ages and are beginning to look like the sligo of the north.

Hardly the Sligo of the North, in this century Sligo have beaten Tyrone, won a provincial championship, beaten traditional counties......

It is a pity the draw won't be on TV, the GAA should see exposure for these things. Why not have the hurling draw at a different time and get two sets of media attention?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mylestheslasher

All Cavan can hope for is a home draw and to avoid the dreaded preliminary round.  After that every team in Ulster will be hoping to draw  us.

Farrandeelin

Seen as there are 3 other provinces, I'd like to get Roscommon again, just to see Rossfan typing out his usual guffaw about Ballagh etc... Sligo would be nice as well to see Sligonian harp on about Tom Parsons and he hates him in a Mayo jersey, therefore leading him on to saying he hates EVERYTHING in Mayo. Oh the hilarity of both. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

banker

watch out for this Down team this year under James McCartan and think they could beat armagh no problem

i see he is taking a fresh approach and searching for more talent around the county

believe it or not the talent is actually there in the Down team they just need the right men to run the team and they have that in wee james, mc ilver and tally

SLIGONIAN

Stew, Sligo Senior Footballers, won Connacht 2007, All Ireland QTR finalists in 2002 and 2007. Decent record in the qualifiers. Got to a NFL semi and Qtr final. Spent 5 yrs concectuively in Div 1 of the NFL. Beaten Derry, Loais, Down etc... in th NFL. Also special mention to our wins Kerry and Dublin in 98 in NFL.

Weve beaten Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Leitrim x2 in this decade, also beat Down, Tyrone, drew with Armagh, beaten Tipp, Kildarex2, Carlow, Longford, Clare all in championship. Got few hammerings and ran a few of the other heavyweights close aswell.

Not bad at all. Might not give up Football after all with our 24 clubs. What county are you Stew?

Farrandeelin the hilarity of both indeed, I suppose the hilarious part is ye making up rules to make it legal..

I hope we get a bye into the Connacht Semi and play Leitrim or Roscommon. I sure they feel the same, goes without saying. Would be great for our Minors to play Leitrim in semi and then into final where we would be guarnteed a AI qtr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

haveaharp

Quote from: banker on October 06, 2009, 10:33:29 PM
watch out for this Down team this year under James McCartan and think they could beat armagh no problem

i see he is taking a fresh approach and searching for more talent around the county

believe it or not the talent is actually there in the Down team they just need the right men to run the team and they have that in wee james, mc ilver and tally

Down would be lucky to beat anyone.

banker

Quote from: haveaharp on October 07, 2009, 09:37:00 AM
Quote from: banker on October 06, 2009, 10:33:29 PM

Down would be lucky to beat anyone.

put a bet on Down for ulster
depends which way the draw goes. Can see a Down v Derry final
Down to beat Armagh by 5 or 6 in the marshes

A Quinn Martin Production

I think we'd want to avoid Tyrone and probably Donegal after this year but I'd fancy our chances against any of the other counties especially first day out.  We'll be without Niall McKeever next year but if CJ would come back on Baker's terms and maybe Sean Kelly back in the fold we have the makings of a decent squad.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Orior

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on October 07, 2009, 05:34:50 PM
I think we'd want to avoid Tyrone and probably Donegal after this year but I'd fancy our chances against any of the other counties especially first day out.  We'll be without Niall McKeever next year but if CJ would come back on Baker's terms and maybe Sean Kelly back in the fold we have the makings of a decent squad.

Do you think Sean Kelly would consider coming back?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear ón Srath Bán

From the Irish Times:

GAA draws to be shown live on RTÉ

GAA: The GAA today confirmed the draw for the 2010 All-Ireland football and hurling championships will take place live on RTÉ Two on Thursday, October 22nd

The draw for the two senior championships will take place at Croke Park and will also be streamed live on the RTÉ website.

"We're delighted that the draws for our inter-county championship competitions will be broadcast live on RTÉ Television," said GAA President Christy Cooney after a schedule was agreed with the four provincial councils.

"The draws generate huge interest amongst our members and followers of our games and it is always our intention to bring them to the widest audience possible."
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...