Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Konica

As a long time Armagh fan I've often been very proud of the achievements of our board and very grateful for the service and generousity of Hugh Morgan. While I agree with many here in their sadness (and possibly disgust) at what has happened recently some people here have short memories - and I'd like to see a little more respect when speaking about Hugh.

However I don't justify this decision and the reason I joined was to add my support to the calls for clarity.

I've a lot of questions too ...

For example
- Did Stevie encourage and push POR on HM?
- Why have we a fitness coach employed already (on big money no doubt) and yet no football coach?
- Why has a man got a job with no backroom team in place?
- Why is no one fighting to become a selector?

etc

Goats Do Shave

Todays Irish News:

QuoteARMAGH ace Stevie McDonnell has urged supporters to get behind new manager Paddy O'Rourke and move on from the selection controversy that dogged the county for several weeks.  McDonnell confronted several issues that some people may have with O'Rourke's arrival in Armagh, but firmly believes the Down man is the right man for the job.

Opinion is divided in the county while rumours persist that some players remain unhappy with the managerial appointment. O'Rourke is the first outside manager of Armagh since Derryman Gerry O'Neill held the job from 1975 to 1981. John Rafferty, Peter Rafferty, Jim McConville, Brian McAlinden and O'Rourke were the five names the Armagh senior panel submitted to the selection committee. Contrary to popular opinion, all five names submitted received overwhelming support from the 2009 Armagh panel. Sean Boylan and Colm Coyle were briefly mentioned, but weren't included on the list. McDonnell also explained that Donal Murtagh and Neil Smyth's names were not on their list because the two men already had declared their interest in the vacancy and therefore were assumed contenders. Furthermore, the selection panel was not bound by the players' list.

In 2003, O'Rourke guided the Mournemen to an Ulster final, but endured three undistinguished seasons after that Anglo-Celt near-miss before leaving the post in 2006. McDonnell said: ''I think a lot of negative feeling among some people is because Paddy's from Down. Apart from the likes of Kerry and Tyrone, most counties have opted for an outside man, so we shouldn't get too wrapped up in that.  ''I also feel people are too quick to judge him because of his four years with Down. When you look at that Down team Paddy had they were very young and inexperienced. It's tough trying to get success with young players. I don't think it's a fair reflection on his managerial abilities.''

The Killeavy clubman also acknowledged that O'Rourke made mistakes during his time with his native county, but insisted that Armagh are getting a better manager for those experiences. ''I'm sure Paddy accepts that he made mistakes, but every manager when they're starting out makes mistakes. It's learning from those mistakes that make you stronger. As a player Paddy O'Rourke won everything. He was somebody who never settled for second best, and the same will apply when he gets to work in Armagh. ''I'd urge everyone in Armagh to get behind him. I think he is the kind of personality we need in the county at the minute. He's a strong-willed individual and is a firm hand. ''I've spoken to a few Down players that played under Paddy and they have nothing but admiration for the man.''

McDonnell didn't hide the fact that Paul Grimley was his first preference to replace the out-going Peter McDonnell, but the Pearse Og clubman couldn't be lured back to his native county and instead joined Monaghan. ''It was a frustrating period because the whole county wanted Paul Grimley, but it wasn't to be,'' he said. ''You have to let people move on. It's only right that Paul Grimley is allowed to move on with Monaghan.  ''I remain good friends with Paul, but if Armagh have to do battle with Monaghan next year, then for 70 minutes we'll be on opposite sides. ''Nobody could say for certain if Paul Grimley would have been a success as Armagh manager. Or for that matter John Rafferty or Brian McAlinden. Paddy O'Rourke deserves a fair crack at the job and people shouldn't rush to judge him. The most important thing now is for people to get behind the new manager because I think he can achieve things with the players that we have in the county.''

Meanwhile, Kilcoo's all-conquering manager and former Armagh boss Jim McCorry has been linked to a selector's post under O'Rourke, while former Orchard favourite John Toal is believed to have declined a similar option. Fermanagh native and highly-respected trainer Mike McGurn is expected to be part of the new managerial set-up.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on October 09, 2009, 11:17:25 AM
Todays Irish News:

QuoteARMAGH ace Stevie McDonnell has urged supporters to get behind new manager Paddy O'Rourke and move on from the selection controversy that dogged the county for several weeks. ....

I couldn't disagree more... what will the rest of us do for entertainment if the supporters take Stevie's advice!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rory

Todays Irish News:

Quote''I also feel people are too quick to judge him because of his four years with Down. When you look at that Down team Paddy had they were very young and inexperienced. It's tough trying to get success with young players. I don't think it's a fair reflection on his managerial abilities.''

Em, is that not like the situation we have now? 

Real1995

McCorry won't be part of backroom team.....

Does anybody else not feel that in this day and age in terms of county management...managers should make their backroom team known before appointment? and surely a man's backroom team should be a contributing factor to the one chosen to manage the county....

This backroom team is fast becoming a joke with everybody under the sun being linked........First it was the manager, then the backroom team what next? The bus driver?...look out chambers.... ::)
Nice guys always finish second!

holylandsniper

Maybe POR hadnt time to plan his backroom staff since his apllicaition/appointment which i gather wasnt much time in between the two

full back

Quote from: Real1995 on October 09, 2009, 11:46:28 AM
................and surely a man's backroom team should be a contributing factor to the one chosen to manage the county....

Thats what I would have thought

mackers

Quote from: full back on October 09, 2009, 12:11:08 PM
Quote from: Real1995 on October 09, 2009, 11:46:28 AM
................and surely a man's backroom team should be a contributing factor to the one chosen to manage the county....

Thats what I would have thought
It's the main reason that the county board gave for NOT giving the manager's job to Grimley in 07........he's supposed to have changed his backroom team during the election process. 
Heard a rumour from a good source that the backroom team is to be announced tonight.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armamike

It would need to be good! If it's in line with the events of the past few months expect a few rabitts out of the hat.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Aghdavoyle

I'm laughing to myself here reading.

They'll make a balls of this too. I don't know how but they'll find some way

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on October 09, 2009, 05:08:48 PM

I'm laughing to myself here reading.

They'll make a balls of this too. I don't know how but they'll find some way
Yes, they do seem to have an abundance of that particular talent
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Todays Irish News:

QuoteARMAGH ace Stevie McDonnell has urged supporters to get behind new manager Paddy O'Rourke and move on from the selection controversy that dogged the county for several weeks.  McDonnell confronted several issues that some people may have with O'Rourke's arrival in Armagh, but firmly believes the Down man is the right man for the job.

Opinion is divided in the county while rumours persist that some players remain unhappy with the managerial appointment. O'Rourke is the first outside manager of Armagh since Derryman Gerry O'Neill held the job from 1975 to 1981. John Rafferty, Peter Rafferty, Jim McConville, Brian McAlinden and O'Rourke were the five names the Armagh senior panel submitted to the selection committee. Contrary to popular opinion, all five names submitted received overwhelming support from the 2009 Armagh panel. Sean Boylan and Colm Coyle were briefly mentioned, but weren't included on the list. McDonnell also explained that Donal Murtagh and Neil Smyth's names were not on their list because the two men already had declared their interest in the vacancy and therefore were assumed contenders. Furthermore, the selection panel was not bound by the players' list.

In 2003, O'Rourke guided the Mournemen to an Ulster final, but endured three undistinguished seasons after that Anglo-Celt near-miss before leaving the post in 2006. McDonnell said: ''I think a lot of negative feeling among some people is because Paddy's from Down. Apart from the likes of Kerry and Tyrone, most counties have opted for an outside man, so we shouldn't get too wrapped up in that.  ''I also feel people are too quick to judge him because of his four years with Down. When you look at that Down team Paddy had they were very young and inexperienced. It's tough trying to get success with young players. I don't think it's a fair reflection on his managerial abilities.''

The Killeavy clubman also acknowledged that O'Rourke made mistakes during his time with his native county, but insisted that Armagh are getting a better manager for those experiences. ''I'm sure Paddy accepts that he made mistakes, but every manager when they're starting out makes mistakes. It's learning from those mistakes that make you stronger. As a player Paddy O'Rourke won everything. He was somebody who never settled for second best, and the same will apply when he gets to work in Armagh. ''I'd urge everyone in Armagh to get behind him. I think he is the kind of personality we need in the county at the minute. He's a strong-willed individual and is a firm hand. ''I've spoken to a few Down players that played under Paddy and they have nothing but admiration for the man.''

McDonnell didn't hide the fact that Paul Grimley was his first preference to replace the out-going Peter McDonnell, but the Pearse Og clubman couldn't be lured back to his native county and instead joined Monaghan. ''It was a frustrating period because the whole county wanted Paul Grimley, but it wasn't to be,'' he said. ''You have to let people move on. It's only right that Paul Grimley is allowed to move on with Monaghan.  ''I remain good friends with Paul, but if Armagh have to do battle with Monaghan next year, then for 70 minutes we'll be on opposite sides. ''Nobody could say for certain if Paul Grimley would have been a success as Armagh manager. Or for that matter John Rafferty or Brian McAlinden. Paddy O'Rourke deserves a fair crack at the job and people shouldn't rush to judge him. The most important thing now is for people to get behind the new manager because I think he can achieve things with the players that we have in the county.''

Meanwhile, Kilcoo's all-conquering manager and former Armagh boss Jim McCorry has been linked to a selector's post under O'Rourke, while former Orchard favourite John Toal is believed to have declined a similar option. Fermanagh native and highly-respected trainer Mike McGurn is expected to be part of the new managerial set-up.

In light of the rumours I've heard that bullshit from Stevie makes my blood boil.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Pints, what do you mean? PM me if you prefer...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Lecale2

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 09, 2009, 07:32:10 PM
Pints, what do you mean? PM me if you prefer...

I heard that Stevie was the one beating the drum for O'Rourke from the start.

ardmhachaabu

Well Lecale, maybe that bodes well for us then - I doubt very much Stevie if would be involved with Armagh if he didn't think that the potential was there on any given day

I know he has a young family so to be giving that commitment year on year speaks for itself imo