Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

This is just brilliant, the reaction,the outcry,the blame-game,the "I'll not go to an Armagh match while POR is in charge",the sheer hatred.Fantastic that a Down man can cause so such
mayhem to Armagh in just one evening.Hilarious.
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Lecale2

umgolaarmagh

As i said yesterday i would like to Wishing Paddy O rourke all the best and to be honest the names bandied about this past few days would not have been first choice any alot of peoples choices. Though i dont know him i can see he his a man that never quits and failure is not an option i think he can do well with armagh

The county board have again done a houdini with the management appointment and i think its time there was a full clear out, possible reason for this is that there is no money in the pot to pay a top class manager but then again how many top class managers with the pedigree of harte and o connor are there around at present and who would be available

brokencrossbar1

Whatever about how good he may or may not be, the backroom will be vital.  I really don't know who he might get in but he needs to have someone who is tactically astute as Paddy may be 100% man but not the shrewdest.  Unfortunately for him he will be given no time to make things work.  He would have to win at least an Ulster in his first year to have any chance of acceptance and I frankly cannot see that happening.

David McKeown

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 03, 2009, 06:40:18 AM
A few questions:

Do I take it that the main outcry against POR is because he is from outside the county and specifically from Down?

Regardless of ability, why should there be a problem with the manager being from outside the county?

To become the manager, POR must have been nominated by at least one club, which one or ones?

Don't think it could have been any in the south of the county.  What club do those welcoming POR to the psot belong to?

There is certainly some outcry against POR because of where he is from but I dont think it is the main reason for the outcry TYP although there is no doubt there are many within the county who feel that only Armagh men should have been considered.  I also believe that POR didnt necessarily have to be nominated by any club but could have been directly approached by the selection committee without nomination.  This was certainly the case when the original selection committee was established.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

The GAA

Quote from: T O Hare on October 03, 2009, 04:30:19 AM
The ex Down players have a lot of good words about O'Rourke so i think the Armagh fans have to give him a chance.... though i still can't understand how a Down man could manage Armagh..  ??? ??? ???

you must be talking to different ones than me

A few questions:

Do I take it that the main outcry against POR is because he is from outside the county and specifically from Down?

Regardless of ability, why should there be a problem with the manager being from outside the county?

To become the manager, POR must have been nominated by at least one club, which one or ones?

Don't think it could have been any in the south of the county.  What club do those welcoming POR to the psot belong to?

you're wrong - no club nominated him. the selection committee second time round had the authority to pick who they liked.

Personally, i'd like someone to tell me why he was picked - on what criteria?

rory

Personally, i'd like someone to tell me why he was picked - on what criteria?

He's friends with Hughie Morgan

Tyrone Dreamer

I was thinking to myself during the week what the hell is Paddy O'Rourke putting his name in for the Armagh job when he has no chance of getting it. Nearly felt sorry for him for thinking he had a chance. Goes to show how wrong you can be. I'm poisitive he will give 100% whether its good enough is hard to know. He had a good first year with Down but seemed to go down hill from there. He will have better players to work with and will maybe have learned from some of his mistakes.

Anyone who says they're not going to watch Armagh next year over the manager is better at home, they'e the type of supporter who will spend most of the game crying about their own players/management/facilities etc.

Minder

It is a perfect situation for the Armagh players, when they spectacularly under perform again it will all be Paddys fault.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sammymaguire

crucified before he even gets the Bainisteoir's jacket on, c'mon lads, give the guy a chance to prove himself in the job and then have a go when its merited...  ::) is this what Armagh GAA folk are all about?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

bennydorano

Suprising decision :P

Best of luck, I suspect he'll need all that's going.  He'll be plenty motivated that's one sure thing.

pintsofguinness

A few questions:

I dont really care where he's from TYP, the issue for me is that he's a failed manager and a very poor choice.  I suspect the motives behind his appointmentand I suspect that his appointment has nothing to do with people believing he's the best man for the job.

I stood up for the county board with the Gimley issue but this is indefensible.  Although I think the main man that needs to go is our so called main sponsor. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thejuice

best of luck to him. Surprised by the appointment all the same, an outside manager, I don't know the details but I would guess his CV isn't the most sparkling.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SLIGONIAN

Well Armagh lads, I went on the rampage on our selection of manager last yr, he was managing  a junior team in Aran islands, overlooked to manage Galway minors, and gets the Sligo Senior job....i criticised the interview process heavily.

With such a lack of managerial experience and others closer to him not willing to give him a chance I thought we were fcked. But one evaluation I didnt know, none of us know how he answered the managerial experience question and why he was overlooked elsewhere, also I didnt know how he answered what his plan was, regarding selectors, tactics etc,, whats is knowledge of Sligo clubs and players is like.

It turns out his selectors appointment was spot on, his tactics fairly good  and everything he did against Kerry was spot on pretty much in terms of team selections etc,,,, so what Im saying O Rourke might have the best ideas and practices and may have the best management team to bring ye success. None of ye heard the anaswers in the interviews, he may have come across better than more experienced candidates. Also one thing Sligo was the players needed some one they look up and respect, and the selection commitee said walsh was imposing figure and got respect straight away. Looking from the outside you dont know the full story so your opinion really doesnt matter until you see what you see on the field. I was mistaken and glad I was but I criticised something I only knew a small amount about ie what happened in the interviews and what was said.

But after my initial whinge he had my full support and im sure ye'll back O Rourke to and give him a while to settle in.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"