New winners of Sam or Liam

Started by rory, October 02, 2009, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 02, 2009, 05:00:33 PM
Sligo will do well to win another Connacht title in the next 15 years let alone an All-Ireland. Christ Galway may not even win all All-Ireland in the next 15 years. That's just the way these things go. History has taught us that much.

I wish I had the optimism of some of our neighbours. I think we're a pessimistic breed down here. :(

I think there's been a lack of confidence in those parts ever since Cromwell's immortal words.

armaghniac

Since Offaly ending the 5 in a row, only Armagh have won an AI with less than 100,000 to work with. A recent discussion of football mentioned that Kerry and Tyrone had kept Cork and Dublin down, places with large populations. Places with an even smaller population than Armagh have a huge task, Laois might have made it, but are going off the boil now.

The most we can hope for is that someone who hasn't won for years to come through and Mayo and Kildare should be strong contention.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on October 02, 2009, 01:44:44 PM
In 1999 the only signifier for Tyrone was the '97/'98 minor sides. The senior side were very average. Wouldn't have been too confident of an All-Ireland within 10 years. Armagh had just won their first Ulster in 100 years in '99 and coupled with the Cross achievements then an All-Ireland was distinctly predictable.

Laois, Monaghan, Sligo, Fermanagh, Antrim, Leitrim, Waterford, Clare, Carlow, Kilkenny, Longford, Westmeath and Wicklow.

Laois reached U21 final in 2006 and the minors won in 2003. In the immediate future they represent a best bet, yet very slim at that. Winning a Leinster would be an achievement.

I think Monaghan (present side) are on the wane.

Laois won minor All Ireland titles in '96/'97 and also lost a U/21 final to Kerry in '98 I think but not sure,on top of minor Leinsters in 96,97,98 and U/21 Leinsters in '94/'98 ,that group of players only won one Leinster senior Championship so what makes you think this group of players is gonna be anything other than failures when it comes to senior level ?
The Laois senior team of '03 to '05 was the best we ever had and was our best chance of winning All Ireland,out ship has sailed and Elvis has left the building I'm afraid........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: blanketattack on October 02, 2009, 05:06:14 PM
Sligo will do well to win another Connacht title in the next 15 years let alone an All-Ireland. Christ Galway may not even win all All-Ireland in the next 15 years. That's just the way these things go. History has taught us that much.

I wish I had the optimism of some of our neighbours. I think we're a pessimistic breed down here. :(

I think there's been a lack of confidence in those parts ever since Cromwell's immortal words.
No Confidence problem with me.

GBB history has taught me to ignore it completely ;. It means nothing.

Also 2000 to 2010 was our must competitive and successful decade ever IMO. I expect us to have a serious year next yr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 02, 2009, 07:26:17 PM

Also 2000 to 2010 was our must competitive and successful decade ever IMO. I expect us to have a serious year next yr.

Aye Sligonian but I would expect you to say that every year to be honest. Nothing wrong with confidence but there is a thin line between confidence and delusion.

No harm in it though. I'm probably too pragmatic for my own good.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 02, 2009, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 02, 2009, 07:26:17 PM

Aye Sligonian but I would expect you to say that every year to be honest. Nothing wrong with confidence but there is a thin line between confidence and delusion.

No harm in it though. I'm probably too pragmatic for my own good.

I dont think ive predicted Sligo winning Sam before GBB. The Sligo players believed we would beat Kerry in Kerry last yr you know, and alot of people well everyone outside of the county would think thats delusion and some inside but its wasnt quite so unrealistic.

Im well aware alot of things have to fall into place for this things to happen. Every 3 to 4 yrs we produce a group of outstanding players, also our players seem to develop to there potential well after underage which is why we havent had success there in a long time. No harm believing in ourselves and its alot better than negativity and believing in Limitations. Kerry are humans and made of the same stuff as our lads except in the mind. 15 yrs is a long time aswell ;).

Farrandeelin

So I assume you're leaving it to us then GBB! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

longrunsthefox

I can see a new football team doing it in the next decade and it would be fantastic whoever it is ... but hurling ..not a hope, no-one who has never won it within 20 points at the minute. I suppose the best to hope for would be Dubs, last win was 1938 or Waterford without that amadan Davy Fitz.

Highlander3

For Sam i think
Antrim ( playing population and better underage structure now)
Laois ( have had great underage structures the last 15 years, so if they continue this they will always have a chance)
Wicklow ( not the current team as no good underage teams coming through, but with the increasing pop have a future chance).
Monaghan maybe, seem to have a good team every 15-20 years

for Liam
Antrim but they have always been the next team, and they even seem to be going back

Bud Wiser

QuoteSligo will win Sam within the next 15yrs. Im sure when we do budweiser will repost this .

What we would give, if only once, we could win the Sam Maguire,
We have tried for more than one hundred years, but still we never tire.
It's been a hard ould slog on the training fields in the cold and wet and dark,
While hoping that when september comes, we might make it to Croke Park.
Sometimes hopes rise, 'this could be our year', we've been saying that for years,
Then we reach the quarter finals and it all ends in tears.
But we'll carry on, we'll try again, we never will give up,
too many men have gave too much to try and win that cup.
And when we do I hope I'm there with all my friends to see,
The stewards being instructed to operate Plan B.
The most likely thing to happen though, is we will fail once more,
To a B rate team like Sligo, by a single frigging score.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bud Wiser on October 03, 2009, 09:05:05 AM
QuoteSligo will win Sam within the next 15yrs. Im sure when we do budweiser will repost this .

What we would give, if only once, we could win the Sam Maguire,
We have tried for more than one hundred years, but still we never tire.
It's been a hard ould slog on the training fields in the cold and wet and dark,
While hoping that when september comes, we might make it to Croke Park.
Sometimes hopes rise, 'this could be our year', we've been saying that for years,
Then we reach the quarter finals and it all ends in tears.
But we'll carry on, we'll try again, we never will give up,
too many men have gave too much to try and win that cup.
And when we do I hope I'm there with all my friends to see,
The stewards being instructed to operate Plan B.
The most likely thing to happen though, is we will fail once more,
To a B rate team like Sligo, by a single frigging score.

Very good, pretty much the way I see it happening, from that day on a B rate team we will be no more. :)

ONeill

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 02, 2009, 06:16:47 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 02, 2009, 01:44:44 PM
In 1999 the only signifier for Tyrone was the '97/'98 minor sides. The senior side were very average. Wouldn't have been too confident of an All-Ireland within 10 years. Armagh had just won their first Ulster in 100 years in '99 and coupled with the Cross achievements then an All-Ireland was distinctly predictable.

Laois, Monaghan, Sligo, Fermanagh, Antrim, Leitrim, Waterford, Clare, Carlow, Kilkenny, Longford, Westmeath and Wicklow.

Laois reached U21 final in 2006 and the minors won in 2003. In the immediate future they represent a best bet, yet very slim at that. Winning a Leinster would be an achievement.

I think Monaghan (present side) are on the wane.

so what makes you think this group of players is gonna be anything other than failures when it comes to senior level ?

Erm, did you actually read what I wrote?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.