Cody- the autobiography

Started by tyroneman, October 02, 2009, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Was chatting to someone reading Cody's book... says it is very dry alright. Sorry Brian but he did not recomend it. Best book I read on hurling was.. jees! can't remember the name of it. About Wexford, Clare and Offaly challnge the 'natural oreder' of the Big 3 in the 90's. Talks of Liam Griffith speech to players before Leinster final... s**t can't rem name of it. Brilliant anyway.   
Best football was last yaer's book about 1982 final Offaly V Kerry and what happened to players after etc... was at that final and is best sports book I''ve ever read. (Kings something or other)

Minder

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 04, 2009, 12:29:35 PM
Was chatting to someone reading Cody's book... says it is very dry alright. Sorry Brian but he did not recomend it. Best book I read on hurling was.. jees! can't remember the name of it. About Wexford, Clare and Offaly challnge the 'natural oreder' of the Big 3 in the 90's. Talks of Liam Griffith speech to players before Leinster final... s**t can't rem name of it. Brilliant anyway.   
Best football was last yaer's book about 1982 final Offaly V Kerry and what happened to players after etc... was at that final and is best sports book I''ve ever read. (Kings something or other)

Revolutionary Years I think is the hurling one Fox, been meaning to get it for a while & Kings Of September by Michael Foley is the football one.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

Two brilliant books Minder... the best GAA ones I have read

INDIANA

Yes Denis Walsh wrote it. Fine book. Great stories about Down and Kerry hurling as well as the obvious ones.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Minder on October 04, 2009, 12:50:48 PM

Revolutionary Years I think is the hurling one Fox, been meaning to get it for a while & Kings Of September by Michael Foley is the football one.

Hurling: The Revolution Years is the hurling book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurling-Revolution-Years-Denis-Walsh/dp/1844880346

Kings of September for football: http://www.obrien.ie/book809.cfm

Bing Crosby .

If you want to read a good book about hurling and the blood and passion that goes with it get

Unlimited Heartbreak ........ the inside story of Limerick hurling . You won't be able to put out of your hand .  A better read than those other books mentioned above .   

Canalman

Best I've read

1 Sambo
2 Justin McCarthy's book.
3 Pat Critchley's book. (not strictly about hurling)

Brian Corcoran's was pretty poor imo.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on October 05, 2009, 09:31:26 PM

If you want to read a good book about hurling and the blood and passion that goes with it get

Unlimited Heartbreak ........ the inside story of Limerick hurling . You won't be able to put out of your hand .  A better read than those other books mentioned above .

Is that just out? I'll give it  ago and keep an open mind but that book about Mayo heartbreak was so hyped and I could only read a couple of chapters. Was very dull and self indulgent. I think you needed to be from Mayo to apreciate it. Are you from Limneach?

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Canalman on October 06, 2009, 04:11:07 PM
Best I've read

1 Sambo
2 Justin McCarthy's book.
3 Pat Critchley's book. (not strictly about hurling)

Brian Corcoran's was pretty poor imo.
Have been trying to get Justin McCarthys book for ages..dont think it is sold any more. Anyone any clues where to buy it? Liam Dunne's book is a great book as well.

Canalman

Two Hands FFS, the best way to get McCarthy's book imo is to order it at your library. Bound to be copies around in the library system.

milltown row

should get some crowd for this one, well in Belfast anyway

Kilkenny manager Brian Cody will be signing copies of his top selling autobiography 'Cody' in the the Cultúrlann, Irish Cultural Centre, Falls Road, Belfast and the Millennium Centre in Loughgiel on Saturday 24th October.
The Kilkenny supremo, who  has had phenomenal success with the reigning All Ireland champions  - claiming seven All-Ireland titles in eleven years and completing a record equaling four-in-a-row of titles -  is considered by many hurling aficionados to be the greatest hurling manager of all time, has written the book in conjunction with top GAA reporter Martin Breheny of the Irish Independent.
Brian has been on a whistle-stop tour of book signings throughout the country, and last weekend appeared on the Late Late Show on RTE.
"Brian has always been highly supportive of hurling in Ulster, and in Antrim in particular, and was very keen to have a book signing up in the Glens" said his agent, the former Meath football star Liam Hayes. 
Cody points out: "I know that the difference between winning and losing can be minute, and I hope that in my book people can see what exactly has made the difference for the Kilkenny hurling team."
"This is a book about pride. It is about self-belief and it is about ambition. More than anything else, however, it also about humility and the absolutely vital importance of understanding that every single day of your life, whether you are a sportsperson or not, is a day to be discovered and challenged.
Proceedings at the Cultúrlann get underway at 3pm while the North Antrim fans can catch the Loughgiel event at 8pm.

INDIANA

Right- decent read but doesn't say anything controversial. A good book for team managers for example but not much in it for the average punter. Not helped by the fact Breheny isn't a patch on Humphries on writing books.
Lawlor's book is hilarious.

Ash Smoker

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on October 06, 2009, 11:14:46 PM
Have been trying to get Justin McCarthys book for ages..dont think it is sold any more. Anyone any clues where to buy it? Liam Dunne's book is a great book as well.
I've been looking myself.
Its €80 bloody quid second hand on Amazon  :o

Colonel Cool

Brian Cody is signing his book in Ballycran tomorrow at 12.00 for anyone looking for a Christmas present.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!