UNLIMITED HEARTBREAK ,,,,,,, Inside story on Limerick Hurling .

Started by Bing Crosby ., October 02, 2009, 11:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on December 21, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
Eamon Cregan and Ger Loughnane were in yesterday's peper saying that Justin should step aside for the good of Limerick hurling,regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

Not sure Ger would have seen it like that if he were in Justin's shoes right now ??.

Doesn't matter OM he has to step down. He can resign with his head held high. Under this arrangement he will be blamed forever more on why limerick got relegated and  not the players.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on December 21, 2009, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 21, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
Eamon Cregan and Ger Loughnane were in yesterday's peper saying that Justin should step aside for the good of Limerick hurling,regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

Not sure Ger would have seen it like that if he were in Justin's shoes right now ??.

Doesn't matter OM he has to step down. He can resign with his head held high. Under this arrangement he will be blamed forever more on why limerick got relegated and  not the players.

He seemed not to get the universal backing that some said he got. I'd say he'll walk.

orangeman

Waterford get slaughtered in the 2008 final and there's hardly a word about the manager -
Limerick get slaughtered by Tipp in the semi final in 2009 and it's the manager's fault !!  Mmmmm, strange.

Tuesday, 22 December 2009 11:23
Former Limerick hurling manager Tom Ryan has said that Justin McCarthy is doing 'immense damage' to Limerick hurling.

In a hard-hitting interview with the Irish Examiner, Ryan said: 'No other manager would have survived here in Limerick after what happened against Tipperary. There's an elephant in the room here and I wonder who's really calling the shots.

'The county board are in dread of their life to move him and McCarthy won't move. Why won't he go? He's doing immense damage to Limerick hurling.'

Ryan, who took Limerick to two Munster titles and a National League success in the mid-90s, also said that the Limerick board was a 'laughing stock', and that hurling was losing out to Munster rugby in the battle to get young sports people playing the game.

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on December 22, 2009, 12:14:30 PM
Waterford get slaughtered in the 2008 final and there's hardly a word about the manager -

I don't know about that - I know a few of the Waterford lads and I've yet to hear anyone on the panel with a good word to say about Davy Fitz - I've also never heard a single Waterford supporter with a good word to say about him either.

Zulu

QuoteWaterford get slaughtered in the 2008 final and there's hardly a word about the manager -
Limerick get slaughtered by Tipp in the semi final in 2009 and it's the manager's fault !!  Mmmmm, strange.

Not strange at all, Davy is under a world of pressure in Waterford and was severly criticized in Waterford after the AI, all his backroom team walked because they couldn't work with him and there are strong rumors of disontent among players too.

I find it a bit strange that people like yourself who questioned if the Cork players weren't motivated by commercial issues to strike last year are not questioning if Justin isn't motivated by keeping the money he is rumored to be getting for the Limerick job.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 22, 2009, 05:25:13 PM
QuoteWaterford get slaughtered in the 2008 final and there's hardly a word about the manager -

Not strange at all, Davy is under a world of pressure in Waterford and was severly criticized in Waterford after the AI, all his backroom team walked because they couldn't work with him and there are strong rumors of disontent among players too.

I find it a bit strange that people like yourself who questioned if the Cork players weren't motivated by commercial issues to strike last year are not questioning if Justin isn't motivated by keeping the money he is rumored to be getting for the Limerick job.

That could well be true - just like Cork this time last year.

Zulu

So where's your moral indignation, where's your concern for the club grasscutters this year?

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on December 22, 2009, 05:25:13 PM

Zulu i don't know whether to be disappointed with you stooping to that level or if this is the real you.
Justin may well move on or eventually be shown the door but all it will allow is for an end to this current impasse. I doubt very much if it will be to the betterment of Limerick hurling - or of hurling in any county - that it's acceptable to some people that a group of players, who no doubt between them would having differing views on team preparation and selection, can bully and maybe vilify an individual manager. How's that for the 'good of Limerick Hurling'. If Justin goes are they going to win the all-Ireland?

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 22, 2009, 05:42:28 PM
So where's your moral indignation, where's your concern for the club grasscutters this year?

Unlike last year, the commercial trappings of being senior IC hurlers was there for all to see. You say that is it rumoured that Justin is on 10 fortunes for managing Limerick. Did you hear any figures mentioned ? Is it going through the books or under those famous tables again ?

I'm getting very concerned for the grass cutters. Things have taken quite a turn this year in our club as far as the grass is concerned.

Our club grasscuttter is rumoured to have unlike other years insisted on getting a voucher for a meal for 2 in the Tilley Lamp after being upset at the Cork lads getting more than their fair share last year. I hope the current GPA / GAA deal doesn't mean he'll be looking paid to cut the grass !!!. What will he be looking for next ??? He's sticking his neck out a bit far for my liking but he can cut grass. What I find strange about the whole thing is that he's a single man and he's not dating anyone, so why does he want a voucher for a meal for two ??

But I don't know if he is getting the voucher or not. I'll just have to wait on the breakdown of the accounts on 11th January at the AGM.  I'll let you know for sure after the AGM.

Morally indignant  -  I'll leave that to Cooney to see how he gets on with that one. I'm sure he'll have great success in stopping the payments to the managers which he says will be his number one priority this coming year.

Zulu

QuoteZulu i don't know whether to be disappointed with you stooping to that level or if this is the real you.

Eh? You were one of the many who suggested that the Cork players were motivated by commercial reasons during last years strike, so what level are yo now referring to?

unlike you I don't have a default setting in these matters, instead I judge each on their own merits. Last year I strongly supported the Cork players but this year I see little justification for the Clare players stance and only mild justification for the Limerick players actions. The reason I think the Limerick players are right, to some degree, is because Justin cut some players because they were strong characters and not because they weren't good enough and that is both wrong and poor management, that he did so without even an courtesy phonecall is disgraceful.

QuoteUnlike last year, the commercial trappings of being senior IC hurlers was there for all to see.

What are you talking about? Most of the Cork panel don't get any endorsements and those that do get them get paid for promoting a product or business, some IC managers are getting serious cash for a GAA activity (managing) yet you can't find your high horse to clime on? You're a hypocrite and you're not the only one around here, you think it is A-ok to bash players with unsubstantiated accusations while never commenting on these things when it doesn't suit your position.

orangeman

Maybe you'd like to tell us how many of the Cork lads are "looked after" and how many are not and to what degree. Then I might have a change of heart.

orangeman

Not good news :

Four more players have quit the Limierick hurling panel, increasing the pressure on manager Justin McCarthy.

Tom Condon, Dinny Moloney, Gavin O'Mahony and Stephen Walsh, all from different clubs, have become the latest players to leave the squad.

McCarthy received the backing of the county board before Christmas but former Limerick manager Tom Ryan is among those to have called for his resignation.

The former Waterford manager's reign has descended into chaos since he elected to exclude 12 players from last year's panel. That prompted eight other players to quit the panel and they have now been joined by the latest quartet.

dowling

I'd have to wonder why it's taking players so long to 'walk away'. Is there a wee bit of agitating going on behind the scenes, or advice on what to do coming from the gpa? Could this now be classed as a strike?

RogerMilla

am reading this book now and absolutely loving it but it is one serious bitching session..
some classic quotes from Tom Ryan