The Sun

Started by ONeill, October 01, 2009, 06:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Gutter press think the people of Liverpool have the right idea,they will not even sell it in their shops ;)

Cúig huaire

Quote from: glens abu on October 02, 2009, 12:14:23 PM
Gutter press think the people of Liverpool have the right idea,they will not even sell it in their shops ;)

Contrary to popular belief the Sun is widely available on Merseyside.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

ONeill

I think the reading age of The Sun is 8 - that is, an 8-year old could read it from cover to cover with little difficulty. I suppose that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mhacadoir

Im not sure if this story was in the irish version of the sun, but it was in the English version...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2657196/Northern-Irish-youngsters-recruited-by-dissidents.html

there was also a story about martin mc guinness that quoted Willie Frazer the other day.

deiseach

The Sun is definitely available in most shops in Liverpool. Sad, but true.

Sandino

I just despise this publication. i get quite angy when I see young people with GAA tops or Liverpool jersies giving money over the counter for this rag.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on October 02, 2009, 12:18:47 PM
I think the reading age of The Sun is 8 ...

It has a reading age?!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 02, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 02, 2009, 12:18:47 PM
I think the reading age of The Sun is 8 ...

It has a reading age?!

I thought they bought it to look at the pictures.  ::)
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

sammymaguire

Doogie - fcuk off you c0ck!  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

and you too haranguerer on  :o knob jockey
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Jaysus lads that rag is such shite and not just for the Liverpool or Nationalist reasons given. The front page is ususally news about some celebrity's marriage. Page 3 has topless ladies (NEWSpaper?) and now they have them giving their opinion on current affairs as if any of us give a f**k.
It's a sign of the times in this f**king country that it sells so well.

Canalman

Don't buy/read it myself.
However, I feel that the reason people buy it is for the Soccer/Horse Racing and the price. Maybe we are being a tad hard on its readership.

Minder

Quote from: Cúig huaire on October 02, 2009, 12:18:03 PM
Quote from: glens abu on October 02, 2009, 12:14:23 PM

Contrary to popular belief the Sun is widely available on Merseyside.

True, I have tried to make this point a few times on the Liverpool thread but was told it wasn't the case. I know for a fact it is widely available in Liverpool.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dillinger

Maguire01

QuotePM apologises over soldier letter 

Gordon Brown has telephoned the mother of a soldier killed in Afghanistan to apologise after apparently misspelling his name in a letter of sympathy.

Guardsman Jamie Janes, 20, from Brighton, East Sussex, was killed in an explosion in October.

In a video distributed by the Sun newspaper, his mother Jacqui called the letter a "hastily scrawled insult".

But Mr Brown said he was sorry "for any unintended mistake", adding that his writing could be "difficult to read".

Guardsman Janes, of 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards, was killed in an explosion while on foot patrol in Helmand province.

'Personal sadness'

According to the Sun, his mother Jacqui was angry when she received the prime minister's letter of condolence in which he appeared to misspell Guardsman Janes's name as "James".

In a statement, he said: "I take very seriously my responsibility to the bereaved.

"Every time I write a letter to mothers and fathers and partners who have suffered bereavement to express my sincere condolences, it is a moment of personal sadness to me. And I am in awe of the bravery and sacrifice of the men and women of our armed forces.

"I send a handwritten letter to every family and I often write to more than one member of the family.

"I have telephoned Jacqui Janes to apologise for any unintended mistake in the letter.

"To all other families whom I have written to, I can only apologise if my handwriting is difficult to read."

The prime minister has previously admitted problems with his eyesight after a childhood rugby injury.

He added: "I have at all times acted in good faith seeking to do the right thing. I do not think anyone will believe that I write letters with any intent to cause offence."

'Debt of gratitude'

But Mrs Janes told the Sun that the letter had been "scrawled so quickly I could hardly even read it" and that "some of the words were half-finished".

She described it as "disrespectful" and an "insult" to her son.

It has emerged that Mr Brown got Jamie Janes's name wrong in the House of Commons on 14 October when he read out a list of 37 soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

The Sun declared during the Labour Party conference that it was switching its support to the Conservatives for the next general election.

George Pascoe Watson, who was the newspaper's political editor until last week, told BBC Radio 4's World at One programme that it was not the Sun attacking the prime minister but Mrs Janes herself.

He added: "The Sun, believe it or not, doesn't want to personalise it on the prime minister although in a case where a prime minister has written a personal letter it's hard not to personalise it."

'No disrespect'

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson said the story had to be seen in the "context" of the fact that the Sun had chosen to "campaign against Gordon Brown and Labour" in the run-up to the next election.

He added: "Anyone who knows the prime minister knows that his handwriting is not great.

"But it is absolutely unthinkable that he would want to show any sort of disrespect, not only to Mrs Janes, but to all those who have suffered bereavement and to whom he writes letters.

"He cares very deeply about them, which is why he puts a lot of thought into those letters. I hope, as he and others will do, that Mrs Janes will understand that and not take any offence."

It is official policy for the prime minister to write to the families of all service personnel killed in action while on operational duties.

According to Ministry of Defence guidelines published on the Parliament website, the letter is drafted by military officials and should ideally be sent within two working days of the death being announced.

The defence secretary writes to the families of members of the armed forces who die in service, including those not on operations.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8349757.stm

Can't believe the coverage this non-story has been getting. This family must be idiots - the mother said that Brown would be better getting someone to type his letter! Regardless of what you think of the war / British government / Brown, surely it's admirable that he takes the time to handwrite a letter to the families when he could just as easily get a civil servant to type one.

And clearly the Sun is hijacking it for their own political reasons.