The Sun

Started by ONeill, October 01, 2009, 06:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

TYP, I've long been predicting a complete meltdown of print media - do you think it'll come to pass that they pull the plug on virtually all top tabloids and qualities? Only the Sun (3.1m), Mail (2m) and Mirror (1.3m) sell over a million copies with all falling at a steady rate every month (bar The Star which has benefitted from a price drop).

I'm ashamed to say that I now read the Guardian Media, Independent and Times on my phone!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

comethekingdom

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 01, 2009, 06:26:47 PM
Would rather shit myself than read the Sun. Just my opinion, but i think you can tell a lot from a person if they read that tripe.

Exactly ! I've never bought tabloids myself - pure dung to be honest. I'd buy the Indo myself or the Examiner. Basically you pay for what you get. All them red tops are just shite.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Cúig huaire on October 01, 2009, 06:22:08 PM
Wouldnt buy it myself, though a mate of mine does and he supports Liverpool.  >:(  My sister in law was on Page 3.  :o
Its a chavtastic paper.

My cousins G/f was also on page 3 although not any more... >:(
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on October 01, 2009, 09:55:41 PM
TYP, I've long been predicting a complete meltdown of print media - do you think it'll come to pass that they pull the plug on virtually all top tabloids and qualities? Only the Sun (3.1m), Mail (2m) and Mirror (1.3m) sell over a million copies with all falling at a steady rate every month (bar The Star which has benefitted from a price drop).

I'm ashamed to say that I now read the Guardian Media, Independent and Times on my phone!!
We can't have it every road. With falling print sales and a reduction in advertising revenue, it's surely only a matter of time before free online access is a thing of the past.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 01, 2009, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 01, 2009, 09:55:41 PM

We can't have it every road. With falling print sales and a reduction in advertising revenue, it's surely only a matter of time before free online access is a thing of the past.

I have read a few different places recently that free online newspapers will be coming to an end and quite a few, including the Times, are considering introducing a subscription service.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Murdoch(s) is pushing very hard for subscription based access to online content but, so far, the rest (in Britain) are not rowing in behind, and about which he's becoming more and more incensed and agitated. There's a difference, however, between News International Corporation, which is purely profit driven and say, The Scott Trust (owners of the Guardian and the Observer), which is not.

True, advertising revenue is critical to the whole spectrum of press enterprises, and it may be that they will all have to move towards subscription in the not too distant future, but it will make for some interesting spats between the profiteers and the idealists.

As for The Sun: I used to buy it religiously, every Monday in England -- it was the only Brit paper that had the Gaelic Football results from the League games on in Ireland the day before, creid é nó na creid. Though having just absorbed the scores on the page, it went straight into the bin.  Rag.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 01, 2009, 10:45:34 PM
The man has spoken!

QuoteTelevision profits also shrank dramatically, falling from $419m to $4m due to a loss of Superbowl revenue and weaker advertising at the group's Fox channels in the US and its Star network in Asia.

Some fall.

ONeill

I see the likes of The Independent have been quick to rubbish the impact The Sun might have on the political landscape. I wouldn't be so sure. The readership of The Sun may be more susceptible to such fickle swings.

dillinger

Quote from: ONeill on October 01, 2009, 06:14:31 PM
Does anyone here buy it regularly?

3.1m a day. They must be doing something right. I see they've jumped ship again.
[/q
uote
Sorry, i dont read comics :)]

Aerlik

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 01, 2009, 09:55:17 PM
Tory Island surely

Or Rathlin or Rockall?

Anyone else remember the dark days of the 1980s when the hoor of downing street was at her zenith and the Sun was laying into anything Irish?

One "journalist" Fiona McDonald-Hull once proclaimed that if all the Catholics in the 6 Co's weren't happy they should all go back to Ireland where they came from.  Obviously the editor read that!

In Oz, the commercial tv channels are usually nose-deep in American shit but every now and then they "report" that "newspapers in Britain" are following a particular lead...cue the quotation from The Sun or News of the world.

O'Neill, I wouldn't be too quick to use my phone to access the internet.  Letting the gremlins in.  Big time.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ONeill

QuoteO'Neill, I wouldn't be too quick to use my phone to access the internet.  Letting the gremlins in.  Big time.

Why's that?

Aerlik

Well, according to an IT guru I know there is little to no protection and as it is wireless transmission it is easy to intercept if you know how.  I don't.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ONeill

Quote from: Aerlik on October 02, 2009, 09:54:21 AM
Well, according to an IT guru I know there is little to no protection and as it is wireless transmission it is easy to intercept if you know how.  I don't.

Still don't understand what you mean. Intercept what?

Doogie Browser

The Sun switches sides in order to boost circulation figures, no other reason, unlike Sammy Maguire they tend to back winners.  It is a rag of a paper, there was a good documentary a few years back when Kelvin Mackenzie went to Liverpool to try and boost sales again, he got a loud and clear message from the scousers. 

haranguerer

Quote from: Doogie Browser on October 02, 2009, 10:43:23 AM
The Sun switches sides in order to boost circulation figures, no other reason, unlike Sammy Maguire they tend to back winners.  It is a rag of a paper, there was a good documentary a few years back when Kelvin Mackenzie went to Liverpool to try and boost sales again, he got a loud and clear message from the scousers.

:D