The 26 County Lisbon Treaty Poll

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 30, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The EDITED - Will you be voting Yes or No to the Lisbon Treaty (26 County only)

Republic - Yes
20 (39.2%)
Republic - No
20 (39.2%)
Republic - Unsure
2 (3.9%)
Northern - Yes
2 (3.9%)
Northern-  No
6 (11.8%)
Northern - Unsure
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: October 03, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

no mo do yakamo

The treaty didnt change. The guarantees are meaningless because the are not written in to the treaty. Now theyve got the desired result expect  a lot of excuses re the guarantees. changed economic circumstances........  different focus post lisbon,............. Changing world situation.............. Etc.
Ever buy something , anything, Microwave , car etc and listen to all the bull and spin the salesman gave you, handed over all your money and when the machine broke down , you found out how limited the guarantee was?
Ever promised a member of the opposite sex youd call Him/ her the following day , Respect Him/her, in order to get him/ her into bed, and then when youd got what you wanted  these promises were forgotten?
See where this is going? And theres no going back.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

longrunsthefox

magickingdom

the treaty didnt change, it just proves complex issues should not be put to referendum. people wanted to give politics in general a kick in the arse (and rightly so imo) but they used the lisbon treaty to do it the last time. this is the 3 rd time a referendum that has been defeated was subsequently passed (divorce, nice, and lisbon). its silly to keep doing this politicians are elected to govern so if possible referendums should be very few and far between.

i hope the chechs dont bolix around with this now and wait to see if the torys get in in britian and really finish lisbon. . .

no mo do yakamo

Conditional ratification is all the result of this vote mandates. The government should temporarily ratify the treaty reserving the right to opt out if the stated guarantees arent set in stone in the next treaty as agreed. A 2 year time frame on this would be reasonable i think. Funny , I suspect that the whizz kids who draw up the next treaty will find that its "legally impossible" to include these guarantees.  What then? New referendum? I doubt it.

magickingdom

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on October 03, 2009, 08:44:09 PM
Conditional ratification is all the result of this vote mandates. The government should temporarily ratify the treaty reserving the right to opt out if the stated guarantees arent set in stone in the next treaty as agreed. A 2 year time frame on this would be reasonable i think. Funny , I suspect that the whizz kids who draw up the next treaty will find that its "legally impossible" to include these guarantees.  What then? New referendum? I doubt it.

why should we have anymore guarantees then any other country? the treaty was drawn up by all the countries in europe. .

Farrandeelin

I saw somewhere that there won't be anymore treaties (i.e. laws are made and no going back after Lisbon). Maybe I'm completely wrong but if this is the case where is this 'European project' heading?

PS, to all you who voted Yes. What is the 'European project'? Because to me it's handing over more and more power to Brussells. Maybe the govt want to do that cos they're scared shit of doing anything themselves.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

no mo do yakamo

Quote from: magickingdom on October 03, 2009, 09:22:42 PM

why should we have anymore guarantees then any other country? the treaty was drawn up by all the countries in europe. .
Well it seemed we needed them! We asked for them and kinda got em. No other country was given a chance to ask. If the treaty was drawn up by all the countries it looks like our govt didnt do enough research!
Im off to practice bending over. I believe it will be a very important skill in the future.

Gnevin

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on October 03, 2009, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on October 03, 2009, 09:22:42 PM

Well it seemed we needed them! We asked for them and kinda got em. No other country was given a chance to ask. If the treaty was drawn up by all the countries it looks like our govt didnt do enough research!
Im off to practice bending over. I believe it will be a very important skill in the future.

All this nonsense was trotted out after nice 2 . Yet as soon as it was passed no one even talked about it anymore .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on October 03, 2009, 08:19:00 PMIt
The commissioner , taxation and neutrality where major issues the first time around . I can't see how people who voted no the first time because of these would not be swayed by the guarantees.
tax harmonisation has to be a goal for a single currency union. 

Did you see those eejits at Dublin castle chanting 'yes' 'yes' 'yes', ffs, it's hardly something to be getting that worked up about, an interesting point on the rte news was that the czech president may be trying to stall ratifying the treaty until the tories get elected in the UK, Cameron has promised a referendum there, so the treaty will never go through anyway, which of course brings us to the other issue, is it right to railroad through a treaty which would very probably be roundly defeated in a european wide referendum?

Pangurban

A BAD day for Democracy, and the future of the European project

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 03, 2009, 10:09:30 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 03, 2009, 08:19:00 PMIt
The commissioner , taxation and neutrality where major issues the first time around . I can't see how people who voted no the first time because of these would not be swayed by the guarantees.
tax harmonisation has to be a goal for a single currency union. 

Did you see those eejits at Dublin castle chanting 'yes' 'yes' 'yes', ffs, it's hardly something to be getting that worked up about, an interesting point on the rte news was that the czech president may be trying to stall ratifying the treaty until the tories get elected in the UK, Cameron has promised a referendum there, so the treaty will never go through anyway, which of course brings us to the other issue, is it right to railroad through a treaty which would very probably be roundly defeated in a european wide referendum?

Of course its not right but since when did these bigwigs with their big plans care what the peasants think.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2009, 09:23:45 PM

I saw somewhere that there won't be anymore treaties (i.e. laws are made and no going back after Lisbon). Maybe I'm completely wrong but if this is the case where is this 'European project' heading?

PS, to all you who voted Yes. What is the 'European project'? Because to me it's handing over more and more power to Brussells. Maybe the govt want to do that cos they're scared shit of doing anything themselves.

You are correct, there will be no more referendums for Ireland on european issues. Instead any changes to the EU will be ratified by our parliament just like in other countries. To me it looks like the EU is trying to be a big Superpower to compete with the US and China. What worries me is that we will eventually get involved in resource wars in the not to distant future. If that happens what can we do. There will be no Veto for us in any vote, we have less than 1% of voting power, we can protest all we like it won't make any difference and our useless politicians will spin it like we are somehow not part of it (just like when US war planes land in Shannon to refuel).

Tankie

Grand Slam Saturday!

Farrandeelin

What's the 'European project' to you anyway tankie? Just wondering, seen as none of the 'yes' side managed to answer my question yet.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tankie

does our standard of living since we joined the EU not tell you what Europe means to the yes side?
Grand Slam Saturday!