The 26 County Lisbon Treaty Poll

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 30, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The EDITED - Will you be voting Yes or No to the Lisbon Treaty (26 County only)

Republic - Yes
20 (39.2%)
Republic - No
20 (39.2%)
Republic - Unsure
2 (3.9%)
Northern - Yes
2 (3.9%)
Northern-  No
6 (11.8%)
Northern - Unsure
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: October 03, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

Seamus

This is one of the saddest days in the history of Ireland if not THE saddest if the exit polls are are true reflection of the outcome. We have lost our sovereignty and our right to rule.  All this through fear mongering. The EU is now an oligarchy just like the US. The people no longer have a say.

Ever ask why all the main political parties were for the yes vote with not one individual with a different opinion? The answer is obvious, it's a big pay day for them, the traitors. No need to send armies to conquer countries anymore when you can payoff the corrupt politicians and apply the finishing touches with a stroke of a pen.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Zapatista

Quote from: Seamus on October 03, 2009, 02:01:45 PM
This is one of the saddest days in the history of Ireland

It is sad yet it reflects our society.

The Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan said on RTE today "we never promised jobs in the result of a Yes vote".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fiannafail/3946820635/

It's for reasons like this that it is sad.

mylestheslasher

A great victory for scare tactics. I don't suppose we could now hire someone to find out all the reasons people voted yes and maybe find out the reasons that are false (i.e. that voting yes will help us out of recession) and maybe have another vote for the sake of democracy. No, you just keep voting until the "right" result is met. The only hope this gets binned now is the czechs stall it long enough for the tories to win in the UK and destroy the whole thing.

armaghniac

QuoteThis is one of the saddest days in the history of Ireland

You wouldn't be overstating things, by any chance. Nothing like a sore loser.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 03, 2009, 02:52:30 PM
A great victory for scare tactics. I don't suppose we could now hire someone to find out all the reasons people voted yes and maybe find out the reasons that are false (i.e. that voting yes will help us out of recession) and maybe have another vote for the sake of democracy. No, you just keep voting until the "right" result is met. The only hope this gets binned now is the czechs stall it long enough for the tories to win in the UK and destroy the whole thing.

i'm still waiting for one substantial issue as to why people should have voted no.

no mo do yakamo

Im still waiting for one substantial reason why the people had to vote twice.
Look if the first result was wrong, The second one could be wrong too. Best have a third one to be totally sure.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Seamus on October 03, 2009, 02:01:45 PMWe have lost our sovereignty and our right to rule.  All this through fear mongering. The EU is now an oligarchy just like the US. The people no longer have a say.

Ever ask why all the main political parties were for the yes vote with not one individual with a different opinion? The answer is obvious, it's a big pay day for them, the traitors. No need to send armies to conquer countries anymore when you can payoff the corrupt politicians and apply the finishing touches with a stroke of a pen.
I am more comfortable with being ruled from brussels than from Dublin tbh, that said, i can't understand why almost all the local politicians were in favour of this, do they not see where this is heading? 

Gnevin

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on October 03, 2009, 04:25:20 PM
Look if the first result was wrong, The second one could be wrong too. Best have a third one to be totally sure.

Because many of the core issue from the first vote where addressed and as such the people where being asked to vote of a different set of issues
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bennydorano

I'm just suprised that people still actually believe in democracy, at any level.  I'm with Homer on this one.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Gnevin on October 03, 2009, 07:12:19 PM

Because may of the core issue from the first vote where addressed and as such the people where being asked to vote of a different set of issues

But wan't it the exact same treaty we voted on?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

no mo do yakamo

Because may of the core issue from the first vote where addressed and as such the people where being asked to vote of a different set of issues
So which are we ratifying? The treaty of the first referendum or the second. And what are the differences?
My ballot paper and official literature indicated that the chunks we were asked to chop out of our constitution this time are the exact ones specified last time.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Bogball XV

How many people do you think had a clue what yesterday's vote was about?  I heard a group of girls in work discussing how good europe's been for us etc and that'd we'd be mad to want vote no and leave the EU......

Gnevin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2009, 07:18:29 PM

It depends on how you look at it . Yes the treaty didn't  change but the guarantees changed the  1) people perceptions and 2) the application of some aspects of the treaty. To me and the high court the guarantees where substantial that the treaty was sufficiently changed to allow a second vote.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gnevin on October 03, 2009, 07:43:57 PM

It depends on how you look at it . Yes the treaty didn't  change but the guarantees changed the  1) people perceptions and 2) the application of some aspects of the treaty. To me and the high court the guarantees where substantial that the treaty was sufficiently changed to allow a second vote.

Let me ask a simple question. Do you not think that the recession and the fact that a huge amount of people are struggling to make ends meet had more to do with  this passing than anything else? The fear tactics of the Yes side prayed on these issues and people changed their vote. I personally believe this is the main reason the big swing occurred and damn all to do with "legal assurances". The biggest irony of course is that if there was a yes vote in the original treaty we would still have had the exact same level of recession and voting yes now will not make one bit of difference to our ability to get out of it.

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 03, 2009, 08:15:42 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 03, 2009, 07:43:57 PM

Let me ask a simple question. Do you not think that the recession and the fact that a huge amount of people are struggling to make ends meet had more to do with  this passing than anything else? The fear tactics of the Yes side prayed on these issues and people changed their vote. I personally believe this is the main reason the big swing occurred and damn all to do with "legal assurances". The biggest irony of course is that if there was a yes vote in the original treaty we would still have had the exact same level of recession and voting yes now will not make one bit of difference to our ability to get out of it.

The commissioner , taxation and neutrality where major issues the first time around . I can't see how people who voted no the first time because of these would not be swayed by the guarantees.