Short weekend hotel breaks

Started by flantheman82, September 29, 2009, 09:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flantheman82

Hi, just on looking for some ideas for a weekend away with the wife. Was toying with the idea of a spa/golf break but am not sure for a variety of reasons.
Anyone done one of these?
Isn't a bit lonely and less enjoyable playing on your own?
Isn't it a bit feminine to have a spa treatment done or are those days behind us?
Also, anybody know of any good deals or can suggest a good deal or alternative? I'd prefer to stay in the north due to the crap exchange rate at the minute but am open to suggestions.

Donagh

Spent a weekend cruising on the Shannon a few weeks back. Was reasonable enough price wise. You can pick up your boat on a Friday and leave it back on Sunday or Monday. Make some of your meals on board and stop off in the evening for drinks and dinner. Good way to see some places you'd never think of visiting.

thewobbler

Radisson in Limavady is doing great deals at the minute. The golf course is just okay though. Hilton in Templepatrick might be up your street also.

The Real Laoislad

Try The Brooklodge and Spa in Wicklow.
Myself and the woman spent a weekend there,its a bit pricey but total luxury
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

It would be harder to find hotel without a spa these days. Radisson in Limavady usually has good deals but a few friends have been there over the last few months and have all said it is getting a bit tired looking. It's hard to beat the Killyhevlin in my opinion.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Spa hotels I've been in recently:
Galgorm - gorgeous
Lough Erne - gorgeous
Lough Eske (euro) - absolutely amazing
Slieve Donard - gorgeous
Ballyliffen Lodge (euro) - gorgeous

Couldn't fault any of them but Lough Eske def stands out and apparently there are a few good deals on for wkends.

Donagh

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 29, 2009, 10:13:26 PM
Did you have any experience or training for the boat, Donagh?
What did you think of sleeping on board?

No training or experience and almost landed in a dangerous situation because of that but that's a story for another time. So long as you keep your wits about you and lifejacket on it's all safe enough. There's not much to handling the river cruisers if you it easy for a few hours and get used to it. Sleeping is grand if you have it well tied-up. Was only the two of use so we had a 'cabin' each in a four berth which was handy as the wife is heavily pregnant.

I was very surprised how popular it all is - must say it's one of Ireland best kept secrets. Beautiful country, gentle pace and lots of friendly fellow travellers only to happy to show you the ropes as you meet them. I realise now how pubs can survive in some of these little sleepy villages - they really come alive at weekends.

flantheman82

How much should I expect to pay? Or does it just depend what package I get?

lurganblue

recently booked a supervalue break for mullaghmore, sligo. thought it was reasonably cheap too.  The Pier Head Hotel... any good? hoping there is a few nice wee bars with entertainment on too

Donegal Danny

The Lough Eske just outside Donegal Town is now doing the Super value deals. Its a fabulous place and the woman will love it. Nearest golf course is Murvagh which is absolutely brilliant but maybe a bit expensive, alternative is Bundoran or Ballybofey/Stranolar which are about 25/30 minutes away but probably half the price. Come to Donegal we need your money and remember"Up here it's different"

Harold Disgracey

Thinking about heading up to Donegal with the wife & kids over Halloween. Can anyone recommend any good hotels, somewhere near a good beach preferably.

heineken_on_tap

You could try the Heritage in Laois - lovely place altogether.
http://www.theheritage.com/

It has the spa experience and the golf course is just there too. It can be pricey at the week-ends but if you ring up they often give a good deal.

Goldengreen

Too Right Donegal Danny.

If anyone is thinking for coming up to Donegal from Dublin or Cork, check out these fly break deals, they usually include free car rental

http://www.real-ireland.com/

Ballyliffen Lodge is very popular especially with our Northern Friends.
Lough Eske getting a great name for itself.

Spa breaks are grand for the las too, as long as they have the steam room and jet pool and stuff like that, lots seem to promote a spa in their hotel when in fact it is just treatments they offer which really just suits the ladies.

The Shandon Hotel in Dunfanaghy is a great location, great views, great spa, beach on your door step, good activities locally horse ridding, surffing hiking etc. Just a shame the hotel itself could do with a freshen up from all reports.

downtown

Anyone know any gone websites for booking a weekend away? considering heading away next weekend but its not to cheap on the sites im looking!