Pearse Hanley mayo

Started by inisbofin, September 29, 2009, 12:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inisbofin

Obviously with the positive news for Down of Marty Clarke heading back to home, has anybody heard whats the story re Pearse Hanley, was he offered a senior contract with Brisbane Lions?  Did he tog out for Ballaghdereen last Sunday in Mayo Senior Championship.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Sorry InisBofin I couldn't tell you, but when I saw your username in the same post as a reference to a Ballaghadereen player I was reminded how loyal ex-parts of Mayo are to Mayo GAA, while parts of the county that where added to Mayo around the same time are also loyal to Mayo football.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tubberman

He was at the match and was acting as water carrier but wasn't listed among the subs. Apparently he had only arrived home in Ballagh the night before so he wouldn't be ready to play. And they lost, so you won't see him play this year.
Not sure what the story is re contract - he seems to have been injured for most of the season so I suppose it's fairy uncertain. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ya from the responses om the bigfooty site, he sounds set to stay where he is at the moment.

Barney

Hanley would be a huge addition especially as a CBC forward and scoring option. However there is no guarantee that his prime talents will be as prominent given the training he would have undertaken in Oz.

Anyway it's a watch this space job. I find it suprising that any new contract would not have been wrapped up before he came home. Injuries have been a big problem and it does seem that very few Irish lads are going to make it over there.

INDIANA

Quote from: Barney on September 29, 2009, 08:24:03 PM
Hanley would be a huge addition especially as a CBC forward and scoring option. However there is no guarantee that his prime talents will be as prominent given the training he would have undertaken in Oz.

Anyway it's a watch this space job. I find it suprising that any new contract would not have been wrapped up before he came home. Injuries have been a big problem and it does seem that very few Irish lads are going to make it over there.

Don't think he'd have any issue re-adjusting Barney. He's a class act. IN the Martin Clarke bracket.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ya we would have a savage set of forwards if he came back, all that would leave would be the backs and midfield to worry about.

macdanger2

would be great to see him back but I hope he makes it out there for his own sake

mjg

Offered a 2 year contract will be going back in november

stephenite

Quote from: mjg on September 30, 2009, 11:45:38 AM

Not surprised - very highly thought of in Brisbane

HeaveHo

Quote from: stephenite on September 30, 2009, 11:47:04 AM
Quote from: mjg on September 30, 2009, 11:45:38 AM

Not surprised - very highly thought of in Brisbane

Yep - the coach (Michael Voss) is a huge wrap for him. Very quick and if he could stay fit could fit in nicely. 

HeaveHo

Lions delisted 11 players today - 7 off the senior list, 4 off the rookie list.

Hanley has been added to the senior list (from international rookie list). 

Hanley gets to play with Brendan Fevola now after Carlton got sick of his drunken antics (and his $700,000 salary) and traded him to Brisbane.The Brisbane forward line is going to contain Fevola, Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw now - three rather large units who wouldn't be out of place in a rugby pack.   

muppet

Quote from: HeaveHo on October 15, 2009, 05:14:25 AM

Hanley gets to play with Brendan Fevola now after Carlton got sick of his drunken antics (and his $700,000 salary) and traded him to Brisbane.The Brisbane forward line is going to contain Fevola, Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw now - three rather large units who wouldn't be out of place in a rugby pack.

I like the way Aussies refer to players as units. This would appeal to the Mickey Harte types.

MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Fair play to Hanley, best of luck to him this year

HeaveHo

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2009, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: HeaveHo on October 15, 2009, 05:14:25 AM

I like the way Aussies refer to players as units. This would appeal to the Mickey Harte types.

He is "big unit" is a bit of local slang to describe a big lad.

All the lads mentioned are 100kg plus and all 191 cms plus (6'3" plus) - Brown is 195 cms (6'5").

Bradshaw wants to leave the Lions now - might just be a ploy for his manager to jack up his contract but time will tell. At 31 he hasn't long to go.